Affliction and Golden Boy Join Forces, Hybrid MMA-Boxing Shows Coming

Updated: September 14, 2008

affliction golden boy

Affliction MMA and boxing powerhouse Golden Boy Promotions announced their partnership at a Saturday night press conference in Las Vegas.

The two have agreed to put on four hybrid MMA-Boxing PPV events starting in 2009.

“Golden Boy Promotions is the top boxing promoter in the world, and we look forward to working with them on future projects….With our companies working together, it gives Affliction another vehicle to deliver our products to our core customers, as well as utilizing Golden Boy’s promotional expertise to further our efforts in Mixed Martial Arts.”

Affliction and Golden Boy hope to gain crossover appeal from fans, while sharing some of the production costs associated with the PPV.

The deal includes a tee shirt partnership that will have Affliction making and distributing a signature line of shirts for Golden Boy fights. Affliction will also become a licensed partner in GB’s “Ring Magazine” creating signature tee’s with the magazines logo.

In light of the announcement, Affliction has rescheduled its Oct. 11 “Day of Reckoning” show for January 17th and moved the venue to the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA. Fedor Emelianenko is rumored to headline the event, but nothing was announced on Saturday night.

1. T.R.

September 14, 2008 at 11:56 am

I think that this is going to be interesting because of how much criticism mma has taken from the boxing industry. It also may lead to some very good boxers looking to cross over into mma. THe only thing is that if they do hybrid shows then the most boring parts of the show will be the boxing matches. I'm not sure how the fans of mma and boxing will mix well.

2. ron shaw

September 14, 2008 at 1:49 pm

i think mma and boxing and two different sports so i'm not a fan of a dual show. i know its good for business. when i'm watching mma i don't think about boxing. i don't know how they are going to separate the fights. i hope the have ppv boxing and ppv mma shows separately but under the affliction/golden boy banner.

3. whodini

September 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm

i dont think the two should mix…sounds like a bad idea

4. roy

September 15, 2008 at 1:21 am

it dosn't bother me i like boxing, i just hope they due a good job and put on great cards.

5. T.R.

September 15, 2008 at 3:29 am

It could work if they have some Big name boxers on the same card as big name mma fighters. A ppv that had Oscar and Fedor would be cool. But, the last time I watched a boxing ppv it was mayweather and oscar d-hoya. I watched d-hoya chase mayweather around for 12 rounds. It sucked. We wasted $50. On the other hand when you buy an mma ppv, you get 5 or 6 fights and probably 4 of them will not go to a decision. MMa fighters train for the finish. It seems like most boxers train for points. We'll see I guess.

6. Matt D.

September 15, 2008 at 5:40 am

I think it's a great idea. I love boxing, even if you hate it you have to admit that "forcing" boxing fans to watch MMA fights can only be good for the sport.

7. Andre

September 15, 2008 at 7:38 am

I think this will be a bad move for Affliction & MMa in general , simply because boxing has always been related with coruption and fixed fight, i dont think that MMa needs an image like this, plus this seems like a last resort from boxing promotions to drag in mma fans back to boxing . the only thing possitive could be the financial aspect of it. this is definitely a bad move.

8. Eric

September 15, 2008 at 2:29 pm

I was a boxing fan…because there was no MMA readily available in the 90's and early 00's. I think if the boxing is good, it can work. If the boxers are not good exciting fighters then even a fairly boring MMA fight will make the boxing look bad. I think it can work, but possibly be a rocky endeavor.

9. kom34

September 15, 2008 at 2:42 pm

boxing has nothing to do with mma. most mma fans don't even watch boxing. its like having a football/soccer combo just because they both play on large grass fields.

i dont know what this is all about yet. it might just be a label for individual boxing and mma events…i hope so. but both sports in one event is stupid in my opinion. it might sell more t's for affliction but i dont see how it helps out the sport of mma or boxing.

10. Ryan S

September 16, 2008 at 7:28 am

I don't watch boxing. It kind of bores the hell out of me. I can't get into it because it kind of seems like a waste. They have so many weapons but they only use their hands. When they clinch up, sometimes they do it when they are tired and they just get separated. "I'm not saying it is a shitty or easy sport though. I know damn well it is hard and very popular. It's just not for me. I do not think they should mix because they will lose a good amount of MMA fans if they have to sit through a boxing match.

11. kom34

September 16, 2008 at 8:01 am

did you see boxing in the olympics?? that was terrible. yeah i haven't really been into boxing since 2002. too me boxing seems more like a point sport so i like mma more where anything can happen…and fast.