Anderson Silva: Chael Sonnen Does Not Deserve a Rematch

anderson-silva-nogueira

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva,

I submitted him because he spoke ill of the Nogueiras … He never deserved a rematch. He stayed in the same position all fight, if he couldn’t win in 30 minutes with me injured, could he win a rematch?

It was carelessness on my part, my doctor gave me an earful for fighting with an injured rib. Everything was signed and had already been promoted … I felt like I had to fight. If I was there, I had to fight.

Video of the interview after the jump,

Total 0 Votes

Tell us how can we improve this post?

+ = Verify Human or Spambot ?

1. Rich in NJ

October 4, 2010 at 4:56 am

Still, you got pounded for nearly 30 minutes. Maybe with the steroid allegations, but to say flat out he doesnt deserve a rematch comes off as typical Anderson Silva cockyness.

2. Rich in NJ

October 4, 2010 at 4:58 am

You submitted him because he left his arm out on your chest like a present. Had nothing to do with the Nogueiras.

3. 10001110101

October 4, 2010 at 8:31 am

Isn't this like the third time he's said a contender doesn't deserve to fight him? This guy is such a douche

4. PoppyNick

October 4, 2010 at 9:37 am

He's beat every contender put in front of him. You call him cocky yet he wasn't the one running his mouth before that fight. Nor did he run his mouth and then test positive for peds. He submitted him because he is a BBJ blackbelt. It's easy for people to hate the guy on top.

Give me one reason why a guy who cheats deserves a rematch?

5. iv

October 4, 2010 at 10:12 am

he doesn't want it because he doesn't want to be on his back the entire fight. he doesn't deserve gsp. gsp would pound him. silva has no respect for anyone, even if he is better than them, he is no better then a diaz who gets upset when some says or does something they don't like.

6. Rich in NJ

October 4, 2010 at 10:21 am

First off, I'm a huge Anderson Silva fan and I'm not hating. All I'm saying is he's echoing what Ed Soares said the day after the fight. You can find it here on CageToday if you look. And that was way before Sonnen tested positive. At that time it was a knee jerk reaction by a manager who saw the same thing we all saw. his fighter was beat for 4 1/2 rounds and Sonnen made a basic mistake that any Bjj fighter would be able to take advantage of. And he might not make that same mistake again so he doesnt want to fight him.

7. Ken

October 4, 2010 at 11:43 am

Big talk for someone that got his ass kicked for 22 minutes. Losing respect for Silva. If his ribs were significantly injured the athletic commission would not have allowed him to compete. On the other hand Sonnen's positive results does taint the fact that he was so dominate in the fight. Silva didn't tap Sonnen because he disrespected the nog bros he tapped him because Sonnen got careless and Silva got lucky. Hope somehow Sonnen wins his appeal gets his rematch ad breaks Silva off.

8. Bryce3333

October 4, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I called Sonnen getting tapped during the second round to my friends. He had Anderson on his back but never in serious danger. He was able to get the better of most stand up exchanges with a injured fighter. There is no controversy in this that warrants any rematch. Machida-Shogun deserved a rematch due to everyone knowing Shogun won. Sonnen tapped out while he was up on the score cards 4 rounds to none. HE gave up, after all his shit talk the simple fact was he couldn't do it, against an injured fighter and on PEDs. Why would he deserve a rematch, keep in mind I believe he is 4-5 in the UFC…. He didn't deserve the first match.

9. Ken

October 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Tired of hearing all the bullshit about Silva being injured. Fighters must be medically cleared to fight . Silva was cleared to fight if he was truly injured the fight would have been postponed. Silva's looking for an out…You got dominated (by a guy on the juice) quit making excuses and man the fuck up…

10. jay

October 4, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Well KEN HOW IN HELL DID BIG NOG GET CLEARED WITH A STAF INFECTION AGAINST MIR? AFTER THE FIGHT WE HEARING ALL THIS SHIT ABOUT NOG HAVING A STAF INCETION WHEN HE FOUGHT MIR. AND IN A INTERVIEW HE EVEN SAID HE THE INFECTION AND WAS NOT 100% IN THAT FIGHT

11. jay

October 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Sorry about my spelling I meant Staph

12. PoppyNick

October 4, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Bottom line is Sonnen dominated 98% of the fight and couldn't finish. He tapped lost and to add insult to injury he tested positive. No way he deserves the immediate rematch.

13. Ken

October 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Big Nog got cleared the same way Cro Cop got cleared not even a month ago with an eye injury. It was a MINOR injury…not severe enough to warrant pulling the fighter I've been in the fight game for a couple years now and weather it be amateur or the pro level the commissions that sanction the fights are there to ensure fairness and safety if the "rib injury" was serious they would have pulled the fight. I am yet to meet a fighter who walks in on fight night at 100% but if an injury is serious enough to put a fighter at a large disadvantage or is a major health concern to the fighter they pull the plug. I do agree with PoppyNick, Sonnen lost the fight and after his positive test results does not deserve a rematch unless he wins his appeal then I'd say a rematch makes sense

14. Rich in NJ

October 4, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Rib Injury? Not relevant. He was cleared to fight.

PEDs? If Sonnen loses appeal, it's agreed. He doesnt deserve a rematch. (personally, I think he's gonna lose it anyway)

The fact of the matter is that there is no one else for Silva to fight. He's cleared the division out. Belfort hasnt fought in what, 15 mos? Seriously, is that the only guy left? THAT is why there's discussion of a rematch. my point is that Silva and Soares know Sonnen is the only guy that is a real threat right now so that is why they're so quick to dismiss him as an opponent.

15. CobraClutch

October 5, 2010 at 12:16 am

Hey Sonnen cheated and thats it he doesn't deserve a rematch he cheated!

16. MCL

October 5, 2010 at 1:50 am

Steroids or no steroids I fail to see why Cheal deserves a rematch? Yes he dominated Silva for 22 minutes but in the end he lost by being finished. To me there`s no question that needs to be answered? Sonnen needs to fight his way back to a title shot like the rest of the contenders. Immediate rematches should only be given to questionable decisions. Period.

17. PoppyNick

October 5, 2010 at 3:06 am

I do think there is one match up left for Silva at 185. If Okami wins his next fight he should be given the chance.

18. dicksmack

October 5, 2010 at 3:13 am

Sonnen deserves a rematch more than any middlewieght on the planet. Steroids or not a rematch would look pretty much the same. Its too bad that Chael never learnt any real submission defense cus thats the only thing that separates him from being a champ. He gave silva the biggest beating of his career. Yes he made a bad choice because he could have done the same anyway. All i hear is Silva making excuses for the weakest performance of his life that nearly cost him. Thats why he does not a rematch because he knows Sonnen is for real and would lay the smack down again. Thats a bad match up for him and he knows it. I like Chael and hope he can bounce back because other than his submission problems he can take anyone out. Dont be afraid silva with your excuses oh i was injured, my cunt was sore, he does not deserve a rematch are you kidding me homo.

19. hosan

October 5, 2010 at 9:50 am

I'm gonna agree with MCL. I admired the incredible performance sonnen had vs silva, until i heard about the steroid conflict. I still didn't think he deserved an immediate rematch. He got finished, and that's that. There was no question as to who won.

In my opinion there was no need for a rematch. The winner was clear.

20. Mac

October 5, 2010 at 11:01 am

How can you possibly think the outcome would be the same minus the illegal narcotics?

He cheated, same as Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, and Roger Clemmens. There is no way to know how much of an edge his drugs gave him over Silva in his natural state. I think it must be substancial, otherwise why take them?

21. Potato

October 5, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Who would even want to see a rematch? Sonnen doesn't finish fights! He is a boring fighter to watch, he lost against Silva because he couldn't finish him. Look at his record, they are all decisions, if they were to fight again it would either go to a decision or Silva would finish Sonnen.

22. fred troy

October 6, 2010 at 5:13 am

try looking up in google Testosterone Epitesosterone Ratio Test false negatives and false positive steroid report,, this is the test California uses, give me a break I know Chael Sonnen and there is not way in hell , he purposely(juiced)

23. Nichole Lesniak

October 6, 2010 at 11:48 am

Aww, Fred, do you still believe in Santa Claus too?

24. STEVEO

October 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Yeah that pro cyclist popped hot for horse meat too….. FART NOISE! Are you kidding me. This is what I am going with if I didn't do anything I sure as hell wouldn't sit back and let my name get drug through the mud. PURPOSELY or not he popped hot and that in itself is worth at least a suspension hence no title shot

25. Bear

October 8, 2010 at 5:04 am

I have not heard on a ruling yet (been busy with work the last few weeks) but reagrds, he will be out for about a year. So regardless, there will be no rematch and even when he comes back, he will need some tune up matches so we wont have to worry about his boring ass for a while

26. John Powers

October 13, 2010 at 12:50 am

Anderson Silva is the best fighter in the ufc. If Sonnen couldnt beat him with an injured rib and doped up he doesn't have a chance in a fair fight and doesn't deserve a rematch. The only one that could give Silva a run is GSP but even GSP would result in just another Silva victory

27. Cletus

October 13, 2010 at 9:26 am

What about Lesnar vs Silva?