Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones Jr “Already Been Arranged”

Updated: March 25, 2009

anderson_silva

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva talks with Gracie Mag:

After my contract with the UFC ends and end my career in MMA, I intend to have a boxing match with Roy Jones. That’s something that’s already been arranged, it’s all practically a done deal. Now I just have to wait and see.

Anderson Silva is determined to fight Roy Jones Jr. after his UFC contract ends. With five fights left on his UFC contract, Silva might get his chance to take on the boxing legend sometime next year.

Anderson Silva is set to take on Thales Leites next month at UFC 97.

1. jack

March 25, 2009 at 4:30 am

He will fight 5 more times in the UFC then go beat up an old Roy Jones then come back to ufc when he is 40 and lose every fight.

2. roy

March 25, 2009 at 4:59 am

jones is old,but i think he would still beat silva in a boxing match.

3. kom34

March 25, 2009 at 5:18 am

win or lose its a smart deal. he is going to get a big payday when they make this happen.

4. Tim

March 25, 2009 at 5:32 am

I agree Smart move and i do believe that Silva could beat him, but no sense in talking about this now as Silva still has anohter 2 years with teh UFC in 5 fights.

5. steve

March 25, 2009 at 5:41 am

If Roy Jones Jr syays in shape at all he will wreck Anderson. His hand speed and smoothness will be too much for Anderson.

6. Kash

March 25, 2009 at 6:01 am

I'm a hardcore Silva fan but I can't really expect him to go against one of the best boxers of all time, in his sport, and win.

7. Fedor's BANNED

March 25, 2009 at 6:57 am

Hope it's true: I'd love to see this fight!

8. derek

March 25, 2009 at 6:59 am

a prime RJJ would school even a prime anderson silva. but now, RJJ may actually get KOed. anderson silva is basically a busier antonio tarver.

9. Ryan S

March 25, 2009 at 7:47 am

I don't know, I could see it going either way. I only know the things I've heard about Roy, but I do know that Silva is really good at putting together random combinations, but I wonder if he can do it as well with just his hands. Everyone is talking about Roy's hand speed, I'm pretty sure Anderson will train hard for this fight, and he is not going to train any groundwork or kicking. That leaves no offense but punching and punch speed and conditioning. It will probably be a pretty good fight. Not to mention Silva can take a pretty good beating to the face. You don't see it much, but he can. I would pay to see this fight.

10. jack

March 25, 2009 at 8:32 am

this fight is a joke no matter who wins. If silva wins then he just beat an old out of his prime boxer. if jones wins then people will just say that that it was expected for a skilled boxer to beat a ufc fighter at boxing. same were to be said if a boxer went to the ufc and lost. if silva really wants to test himself he should call Joe Calzage out of retirement as this would be a better match and greater accomplishment if silva won and besides Calzage beat the crap out of jones. if silva wants an old boxer then choose one who can still fight mabey bernard hopkins.

11. sy

March 25, 2009 at 9:22 am

if silva faces calzaghe or hopkins it would be a better match up than rjj but in all honestly calzaghe or hopkins would destroy silva in a toe to toe boxing match the same as silva would destroy them in an mma bout if silva's gonna go to boxing he needs to face some slightly lower caliber fighters b4 facing the big guns maybe pavlik or kessler if he can stand with either of them 2 wich i dont think he could then he can start callin out the super fights but as in any sport i think u should proove yourself b4 jumpin right to the top but its all about money and publicity now so who knows

12. Cobra Clutch

March 25, 2009 at 9:50 am

I think RJJ would win. But I have to give all edges of fighting to the MMA athlete. They will perform better in boxing than boxers would in MMA cages. That's what I believe. But the advantage is obviously always with whomever is fighting in their sport. I don't think RJJ knocks AS out, but will probably win a decision because a lot of MMA is force, set-up, and the whole ground game. Boxing is the sweet science and there's more to it than just brute force. Look what happened to Tyson whenever he went up against someone who was actually talented in the art of boxing…he got frustrated and lost. Don't hurt me Mike…I'm just sayin…

13. T.R.

March 25, 2009 at 11:50 am

i dont' know man, the spider has great hands.

March 25, 2009 at 12:05 pm

for sure its a smart move but we all know if it was MMA silva would kill jones in a min but its boxing and that wuld be a way better fight an i still think silva will win by Desicon..

15. steve

March 25, 2009 at 1:30 pm

If Dana White thought Anderson could win against Roy Jones he would have let him box him. He se to box and he knows that boxers as good as roy wont lose to non boxing guys just like Roy Jones wouldnt win in an mma fight.

16. STEVEO

March 26, 2009 at 3:41 am

I am going to have to agree that I think Spider should stick with mma, boxing is a different monster. He has a chance to go down in history as one of the greatest mma fighters ever let alone one of the greatest champions ever, its all about money, everybody remember what happened to chuckles when started worrying more about money than his opponent?

17. Ralph says stop drea

May 13, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Even a old Roy Jones would expose Silva as someone who has CLEARLY NOT SPENT HIS ENTIRE ADULT LIFE BOXING with the top pro fighters in the world. The MMA boxing skills are very basic when compared to the boxing skills of pro boxing champions. Of course Jones would be on the other end in the cage and get his behind whipped badly by Silvia, so my question is.. why even do this? What does Silva have to prove? We all know hes a great athlete. But don't think for a minute He won't get knocked out cold if Jones (or any other pro Champion boxer) turns up the heat. He'll wake up on his back wondering why he thought his boxing skills were going to be as effective as in MMA. This is why football players who try to box always get knocked out. Being the top dog in your sport ain't enough..Nuff said