BJ Penn Eying Late Summer Return Against Kenny Florian

Updated: February 24, 2009

Penn

It now looks like the proposed headline fight between UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn (13-5-1) and top contender Kenny Florian (11-3) at UFC 99 might just have to wait till the end of summer. Penn, who became a father in with the birth of his daughter Aeva last October, wants some family time before defending his lightweight title, according to Sherdog.

BJ Penn’s older brother and manager JD Penn:

“No, it’s too close to BJ’s last fight … He wants to spend time with his baby.”

“We are still negotiating the fight … No date [is] scheduled, but we are thinking late July or early August.”

Kenny’s not to happy:

“I talked to my manager Joe Cavallaro today and [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva told him June 13, … That was the date they wanted because they wanted it to be the main event and the only main event. That’s what fight made the most amount of sense for June 13. July [11, UFC 100] apparently is backed up, so July’s probably out of the question, and August…”

“For me, it’s the fight that I want and it’s the fight he wants and we both need to come to terms on it, so if that’s what I need to do to make it happen, if I have to wait, then I have no choice,”

“Schedule-wise it makes it a little difficult because money-wise, you expect a certain amount to come in and I’ve been trying to budget things accordingly … It might be a little tougher now.”

1. Tundra

February 24, 2009 at 3:42 am

Penn wants to spend time with his kid,whats wrong with wright now.June 11 would still give him over 3 months before he has to fight. Florian and the fans have waited long enough. Dana White start crackin the whip!

February 24, 2009 at 3:58 am

Thats Bs Kenny has been the Number one guy sence he beat Roger then he beat Joe just so he couod get some money wtf..Its Kennys fucking time and let take your belt Bj..

Bj is just scared because he doesnt want to lose 2 time back to back and he know he will lose to kenny thats why he is pushing it back so mucha nd keeps Duking Kenny..

3. roy

February 24, 2009 at 4:31 am

he is going to fight just not right now, to bad bj doesn't have to fight so he can choose when he wants to.he just had a daughter and wants to spend some time with her, kenny should have took another fight till then.its only delaying the fight 1 month its not that bad.he fought at the end of jan take one month off and train for 3 that would be the first of june so instead of june he fights july, no big deal.

4. dane drebin

February 24, 2009 at 5:58 am

bj's looking more and more douche like. imagine if kenny decided to play ti safe and not fight the very dangerous stevenson. he would be hurting for money right now. im now going to root for kenny to knock bj's head off.

5. STEVEO

February 24, 2009 at 7:01 am

well i used to spend time with my dad too just not 3 or 4 months at a time. this is just classic lazy ass bj not wanting to train. I agree with Dane, I cannot wait for Kenny to tear his chubby little face off and throw it into the tenth row.

6. derek

February 24, 2009 at 12:38 pm

kenny will put on a clinic. i think kenny will do well against gsp.

7. steve

February 24, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Agreed I think BJ is an over confident dick. This guy has claimed to be the best fighter and talked about him tearing ppl up but yet he cant even get up and train everyday for a title fight and a chance to cement his legacy as one of the best ever? Sorry just because you have talent doesnt make u the best. U have top work for it like everyone else and the best fighters as we have seen train like animals.

8. David

February 24, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I agree with roy. His daughter was born in October and he didn't get to spend much time with her because he was training for GSP. And don't sit there and tell me that he didn't train at all because he got outworked by GSP who apparently outworked Koscheck and Fitch too who both have great conditioning. BJ made no excuses in his training, he said he trained hard and got his ass kicked. So cry me a river and back up your tears with statements like Ken Flo deserves a shot right now ASAP. BJ wants to spend time with his daughter man, what's wrong with that? Family is high on his priority list and I respect that being a family guy myself. It's 2 freaking months guys.

If Kenny wanted the title, he shoulda taken it from the muscle shark's grip when he had the chance and he woulda fought BJ a long time ago. So blame Kenny for losing to Sherk who BJ dominated, not BJ who had the stones to challenge GSP instead of Florian. And derek, I disagree with you on that Florian will do well against gsp. Florian has great BJJ, even better standup but Sherk was able to take him down at will at 155. Sherk wasn't even able to take BJ down but yet GSP made it look easy. I haven't seen enough improvement in Kenny's ground game to where it's even close to the same level as GSP's or even Sherk for that matter.

9. STEVEO

February 25, 2009 at 6:22 am

BJ homers are easy to spot a mile away. When he trains does he move to a foreign country where he never sees his kid and wife or girlfriend or whatever, cmon. I'm in the army so I know what its like to be away but he gets to go home at the end of the day its not like hes training 18 hours a day or everyday for that matter. Kenny has already been waiting WAY to long. Bj needs to stop dicking around in other divisions and defend his belt like a champion and in fairness only 2 months? fighetrs only fight what 3 maybe 4 times a year so two months could effectively cut 1/4 or 1/3 of their income. Not everyone gets paid $250,000 to get there face smashed in for 20 minutes. Kenny has a legit gripe, hes been more than patient with this idiot.

10. dane drebin

February 25, 2009 at 6:28 am

David who cares if BJ didnt get to see his daughter while he was training for the GSP fight boo hoo he asked for that fucking fight. dana didnt even want to give it to him because it put the lightweight title on hold for so long. he should thought about that before he asked for the figtht. I dont have anything against bj i just think if hes not willing to defend the title in a certain amount of time they should take it from him.

11. STEVEO

February 25, 2009 at 7:24 am

I completely agree with you dane!

12. roy

February 25, 2009 at 8:05 am

i agree with you to a point dane, on the belt being tied up but the ufc should not have let it happen then, bj spending time with his daughter changes this fight 1-2 months big deal.like david said kenny should have beat sherk who in my mind is still ahead of kenny in the lw devision.kenny will get his ass kicked and i don't think he would beat quit a few lw's sherk,tyson, or deigo and some others.

13. David

February 25, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Right because money comes first right not family. BJ earned the right to take a couple of months off because he worked hard to be the lightweight champ. So he is suppose to do what Kenny wants right because Kenny is the contender and BJ is the champ. In my mind, Kenny isn't in the position to make the terms, BJ is because he's the champ, he earned it. It's not like BJ is dodging the guy. Like I said, if Kenny wanted it his way,his terms then he shoulda beat Sherk but he didn't so now he's still the contender. That's still the fact that you stevo and dane do not want to recognize and keep attacking BJ because he needs to defend his belt. Nobody had any problems about BJ defending the lightweight belt when he was preparing to fight GSP right? So you are gonna sit there and tell me that if you were the champ, and you wanted to spend time with your family, but the #1 contender wants to fight you 2 months ahead of time, you are gonna do it, because the contender wanted to right? Because he deserves it right? If you said yes, then clearly family isnt at the top of your priority list and that's your own decision. There's more to life than just work. And dane, from reading your posts, I really did expect more from you and thought you would understand. You are now blaming BJ for trying to step up in weight to fight GSP but yet you guys will sit there and talk about how GSP fighting Anderson Silva would be a dream match. How ironic is that. Yeah dane, they should take the belt away from him because he decided to move up in weight to fight for another title and now wants 2 extra months off. He probably wants the 2 months off to clear his mind from the beat down he got from GSP by spending it with his family.

So you're saying we might as well give Florian the belt and then he can defend it against BJ Penn when he's ready. Now you know everyone is gonna say that Florian is the paper champ if that happens. Unless he quits, or gets busted breaking the rules like taking steroids, they aren't gonna take the belt away from him nor would anyone want that to happen, except for a select few.

Ken Flo was really hurting for money, why not set up a fight against Sanchez and then fight BJ in August. Oh wait, he still has other sources of income like sponsors, mma live host, etc so don't tell me that 2 months will make a big difference in his salary.

Although I do think Ken Flo is the #1 contender because of his win streak, I agree with roy and I still think he would get whooped by Sherk, Sanchez, and Griffin.

Debating about 2 months really is unnecessary and not even a big deal, and I can't believe I'm even spending this much time on it. You guys have your own opinions and I have mine, and if you guys hate BJ so much that 2 months will get you guys fired up, then you guys needa take a chill pill.

14. Al

February 25, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Damn, laying down the law David. Good stuff

15. dane drebin

February 25, 2009 at 12:45 pm

i think its you who needs to take a chill pill david ur the one writting a book on the situation lol. you said "So you’re saying " about twenty times in that post. none of which was i saying. I dont think Kenny should be given the title. dont put words in my mouth. Kenny has done more than enough to get a shot at the lightweight title he shouldnt have to fight sherk or sanchez they can wait their turn. how many people did BJ have to fight to get a title shot? jens pulver? Fucking laughable. you expect more from me? maybe you should expect more from yourself. Im not blaming BJ for wanting two titles at once i say go for it but u better be able to defend the title you have more than once a year. It's not fair to the rest of the division. the people who arent making quarter mill every fight cant wait forever. Bj can fucking spend all the time with his family after he defends his belt that is starting to mean less and less as it gathers dust on his mantle.

16. steve

February 25, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Damn Divid that is the longest post I have seen since Tim talking about Lesnar. What the hell is the big arguement here? I really dont feel like reading all these posts lol.

17. T.R.

February 25, 2009 at 2:21 pm

when they do fight kenflo will tap in the second round. kenny is good but he's not championship material in my opinion. he should be thankful for the couple month layoff – it will give him some time before bj kicks his ass.

18. Ryan S

February 26, 2009 at 11:27 am

I agree with T.R. Kenny is awesome, but I don't think he is at the same caliber as BJ. People might dislike him, but you can't deny that he still is a good fighter in his own weight class.

19. garrisonsama

March 4, 2009 at 9:22 am

by the time Bj defends his title over 16 Ufc's will have past.

not counting fight nights

20. Nova Uniao

May 26, 2009 at 4:30 am

How can anyone comapre Kenny's Jiu jitsu to BJ's. I got opportunity to roll with BJ in Hilo and unless u experience it yourself u have no idea. His ground game is sick. BJ is probably considered to have the BEST ground game in the UFC. Ask Sean or Joe about his stand up and they will tell you that he hits like a sledge hammer. (i read that somewhere, I'll find it and post it). But Bj will win no doubt. If you look at BJ's past fights he fought Lyoto Machida at 205lbs and Machida couldnt do anything to him, Granted Machida won by a SLIM decision. So he's not a chump he'll go up in weight to fight anyone.