BJ Penn Talks Sherk And Steroids

Updated: February 13, 2008

bj penn ufc fighter

In a recent interview with MMAWeekly, current UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn discusses steroids and his next opponent Sean Sherk.

“For me, honestly, it’s not personal at all……..The man was cheating. I called him a cheater; then he got all personal. So I think all the personal stuff is on him. He said this is the first time a fight’s personal and this and that and whatever. I couldn’t care less. I’m just going to go kick his ass.”

“How can you sit around saying you’re the champ, say the other guy’s the fake champ, and you got busted for (steroids)? We knew he was doing ’roids the whole time, and all this stuff, and about it’s nothing personal, he went and made it all personal. I was calling a spade, a spade……Everybody has questioned my heart, questioned my training ethics, this and that, but I never did something as cowardly as to take any sports enhancement drug…….That’s one thing no one can ever say about me, you know? That I was a coward and took sports enhancement drugs, because I was afraid I was going to get my ass kicked in front of millions of people. So anybody out there who said I never had no heart, at least I wasn’t a coward.”

“To me in this sport, it’s fighting, it’s mixed martial arts, and I feel there’s too many athletes and not enough fighters…….I think these people going in taking these sports enhancement drugs, they’re not real fighters, they’re athletes. I’m a fighter. I’m a real fighter. That’s all I did my whole life……..I’m not going to say, ‘Oh, Sean Sherk is doing something illegal!’ I could care less about that. The guy was cheating, trying to steal somebody else’s dream, and that’s where it’s just a joke.”

“It does play a huge factor because they’re cheating and they’re getting more training time, and they’re stronger, but I don’t think that they’re just using steroids is the thing,……….They’re probably pulling their blood out of a refrigerator right before the fight, blood doping, doing all these other things.”

BJ Penn will take on Sean Sherk at UFC 84 on May 24 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

1. Patrick

February 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Cannot wait for B.J. to mess Sherk up. Cannot wait.

2. luke

February 12, 2008 at 10:48 pm

well said BJ! expose that cheating lay and prayer for what he is.

February 13, 2008 at 12:40 am

sherk is going to beat down bj like a bitch he is

4. roy

February 13, 2008 at 2:33 am

looks like b.j. is coming in ready as long as he has the cardio i don't think theres any other way for sherk to beat him other than try to out gass him.

5. madmon69

February 13, 2008 at 3:23 am

I beat u guys when sherk comes to the ring hes going to look smaller than he used to look like being on the juice.

6. Realwun

February 13, 2008 at 3:27 am

BJ is saying what more fighters should be saying about the cheaters. I especially like how he calls out Sherk for being an athlete first and a fighter second. Thats what creates boring fights, fighters looking to get ahead on the cards by physically dominating. The problem with that is they are playing it safe, not looking for the finish almost as much as they're not looking to get finished.

7. BRANDON

February 13, 2008 at 6:33 am

BJ at this point in his career is quite literally unstoppable…He's to strong mentally which has given new life to his work ethic, heart, and overall attitude twoards preparing for a fight. Plus he is prodigiously more well rounded then Sherk who is a wrestler/ hold a guy down and land a few shots type of fighter. I'm willin to make another bet (like the one with me Joe, Scot, and whoever else it was) that BJ wins and silences all of his critics, mainly Sherk, and become the UNDISPUTED champ…

8. Nicks

February 13, 2008 at 7:50 am

Damn does BJ have a book yet that was some good stuff.

I hope BJ puts the hurt to Sherk kinda the same way GSP did go BJ go! Undisputed champ!

9. BRANDON

February 13, 2008 at 7:58 am

Everyone…You can now coment on events (fightcards) on the top left on the screen…go there and add you opinons to the fightcards match ups and general events that are coming up

10. rhinox

February 13, 2008 at 8:05 am

There is no doubt in my mind that BJ wants to show up in shape kick sherks ass and silence his critics once and for all. Penn is one of the better fighters out there and at 155 I think the only guy that can beat him right now is himself.

11. kom34

February 14, 2008 at 1:00 am

i think penn is unstoppable right now and sherk is going to get put down in that fight. i thought the stevenson fight would be better but that goes to show hom much bj has improved his all around game and cardio.

12. madmon69

February 14, 2008 at 2:08 am

What's messed up about all this crapp with sherk should'nt be fighting bj in may it should be Hermis Franka since sherk was on the roids and fought franka should have a chance 1st then sherk.

13. rhinox

February 14, 2008 at 4:12 am

yes but Hermis also tested positive

14. luke

February 14, 2008 at 7:39 pm

At least hermes accepted his ban instead of moaning to the ahletic commission. (oh no i said commission kazja wil be on here for sure now).

15. texasfighter254

February 15, 2008 at 1:14 am

hermes did take the punishment like a man instead of crying and protesting it like sherk did i think BJ is on a whole nother level thatn sherk and i sure that sherk will find out real quick. i never liked sherk when he was on KOTC and you could tell he was dopped up back then to.

16. madmon69

February 15, 2008 at 1:35 am

Let sherk and hermes fight again the winner fights Bjj , That's with out the juice this time.

17. Scooby Doo

February 15, 2008 at 1:38 am

Let hermes and sherk fight a 2nd time the winner fights bj.

18. Kendu

February 25, 2008 at 4:43 am

Sherk is a juiced up little jerk. Did you hear all the fans booing him after he stepped into the cage after BJ called him out ( Penn vs. Joe Stevenson)? BJ said it best when he said that "Now is a bad time to fight BJ Penn". I can't wait to see BJ choke out Sherk via triangle.

19. kaleo

February 28, 2008 at 12:53 am

bj penn iz unstoppable right now at 155 da hawaiian can kick okole

20. spresso

April 6, 2008 at 11:58 am

Sherk is a D(*(#@)(CK.

If anything, new standards should be initiated for the UFC.

They should be leaders amongst all the other wannabe

organizations. I'd like to see a 5 day monitoring of

fighters bloodwork before main event fights.

That's the only way to eliminate all forms of athletes

trying to physically enhance strength and cardio.

ie. blood doping.

I hope BJ submits his silly A*&$)(*)@S)(*@S

21. luke r thomas

April 17, 2008 at 5:00 pm

its really very very simple bj penn shows up in shape nobody can beat him not sherk hughes gsp or anderson silva and yes i mean that anderson silva who destroyed rich (1 of my fav fighters) beat hendo (who is overrated) bj will take silva down and make him tap. silva has got to be one of the easiest fighters ive ever seen to take down his wrestling and particular takedown defences is avergage at best

22. derek

April 17, 2008 at 7:06 pm

honestly, who has bj fought? he has great bjj and is very flexible, but look at who he lost against. he lost to matt hughes, GSP, jens pulver, and machida. you tell me. i don't see why people think he's so great or that he's on anderson silva's level.

23. luke thomas

April 17, 2008 at 11:59 pm

its really very very simple bj penn shows up in shape nobody can beat not sherk hughes gsp or anderson silva and yes i mean that anderson silva who destroyed rich (1 of my fav fighters) beat hendo (who is overrated) bj will take silva down and make him tap. silva has got to be one of the easiest fighters ive ever seen to take down his wrestling and particular takedown defences is avergage at best

24. luke r thomas

April 18, 2008 at 12:00 am

j

25. erik

April 18, 2008 at 7:49 am

are you kidding me derek?…BJ has fought some of the biggest names in MMA like hughes and pulver, din thomas, renzo gracie, gomi, and joe stevenson…all of those which he won…i like BJ and Sherk both but sherk is not lookin too good to come out on top this time

26. luke r thomas

April 18, 2008 at 11:17 am

you say who has bj beat? well who has anderson beat?

yes he beat rich who is as ive said one of me fav fighters (but he's got a weak chin which he proved when evan tanner knocked him down) silva has 2 note worthy victories outside his ufc career, jeremy horn who is a good fighter whos fought well over 100 fights but has beaten no one and carlos newton who after beating miletich had done nothing then he destroyed leben who has a cabbage like chin but nothing else then rich lutter who was not 100% then Marquardt (huge win that was lol) rich again then hendo who i think is overrated next is likely 2 b okami like he'll lose that (gsp or penn are the only realistic fighters who can beat him)

27. SnowCrash

May 5, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Do your fucking homework you screaming morons….Sherk did NOT take steroids and he has both the blood tests and lie detector tests to prove it. It turns out that one supplement, Xyience Xtreme Joint Formula, tested positive for Nandrolone Metabolite. That company ring a bell with any of you mouth breathers?

You clowns are proof positive that most American MMA fans don't have a fucking clue!

28. Achilles

May 6, 2008 at 12:18 am

What these guys are saying is that SHERK and FRANCA both took BANNNED SUBSTANCES Xyience makes TESTOSTERONE ENHANCERS, HGH, and regulare thing like creatine. The thing is the supplements SHERK took were still considered BANNED. People ususally classify BANNED SUBS with ROIDS or JUICE or whatever you want to call it. JOINT formula has the same ingredients as HGH. I had a dislocated shoulder a couple years back and I had to take anti-inflamatories (STEROIDS) then I was switched to a JOINT formual which is just a nice word for HGH or HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE. Both Scripts were for the same thing just the ROIDS were stronger the both gave me more energy, a larger appetite, and higher pain tolerance while i was rehabing. YEAH THEY WORK i even had to take a temporary VOLUNTARY suspension from my PA state boxing liscense be cause i was LEGALLY taking banned substances and would test positive more than 98% of the time. OH yeah I also gained roughly 35 pounds of muscle over a 4 and a half month period. STEROIDS or OTHER BANNED is BANNED and CHEATING is CHEATING. Bottom line PENN will submit SHERK before the 2nd round is over.

May 6, 2008 at 12:19 am

hell yeah snowcrash..i have been stying to say all that shit and noo one wants to believe me but whatever sherk is coming for his fucking belt and if bj wants to be the champ he has to be the real champ

May 6, 2008 at 12:24 am

yeah who ass bj beaten??? lose to GSP,MAtt , Jens when he was on top?? who has he beat.. he got the win over TUF champ wow so hard..

THE ONLY REAL WIN BJ HAS IS OVER MATT BUT MATT GOT THAT WIN BACK SO HA

31. Achilles

May 6, 2008 at 12:38 am

LUKE… DUDE. BJJ black bets like SILVA and PENN have no problem with being taken down because they are so good off there backs SIVLAS guard is to dangerous to compare. And PENN pull a GOGO PLATA out of no where then change it to a inverted arm bar. Look at the SILVA vs. OKAMI fight. OKAMI has the great take downs. Took down SILVA. then was clicke clear in the face and was left with a concussion. SILVA was disqualified because it was considered a illegal strike because both fighters were on the ground and OKAMI was tooo injured to continue take downs are over rated un less you can finish on the ground IE MATT HUGHES and GSP niehter whom can hang withe the SPIDER SILVA.

32. luke r thomas

May 9, 2008 at 2:00 am

if lutter had even half decent cardio he'd of submitted silva achilles DUDE

33. luke r thomas

May 14, 2008 at 1:51 pm

even though im a huge rich franklin fan im stll a realist and get that rich is missing one thing in his arsenal to once agin be the man at 185, and that a decent chin i firmly believe that if rich had a decent chin he cud beat anyone in 185 and 205 and if he had a cabbage chin he wud smash anyone and everyone in 185 and 205

34. DanP

May 15, 2008 at 12:24 am

rich would not and will not do well at 205… He would get smashed by the following fighters without question –

Liddell,Shogun,Forest,Rampage,Wandi,Jardine,Thiago silva,Tito,Macida (again),

and I think Henderson would beat him at 185… plus Bisping might have a shot against him now he's at MW…

I like Rich, but he doesn't have a future at MW with Silva as the champ and he'd get his head kicked in by the magority of LHW's…

Where now for Rich… maybe a Dream/Affliction/Elite XC middleweight belt???

35. luke r thomas

May 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm

forrest would not beat rich 4 one simple reason he (forrest) has no power in his strikes and rich is a technically better striker

wandi is a shadow of his former self

thiago has beaton and faced no one

jardine is highly overrated he only beat chuck casue he didn train and was thinking bout silva rampage etc

36. luke r thomas

May 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm

who do u think wil win between

bj penn and sean sherk