Brock Lesnar vs. Cheick Kongo In The Works For November-December

Updated: August 22, 2008

brock lesnar vs. cheick kongo ufc 91

Brock Lesnar vs. Cheick Kongo in the works:

source inside Kongo’s management team has informed MMARated.com that UFC officials have offered Kongo a fight against Brock Lesnar for either November or December.

If the UFC wants me to fight Lesnar, I’ll do it for sure….He showed confidence in his standup striking and completely dominated Heath Herring….. I try to never underestimate any of my opponents but there’s really nothing that worries me too much with Brock Lesnar. I know it could be a tough fight, but, you know, I train hard and I will be ready for this one too. I am hungry.

1. dane drebin

August 22, 2008 at 5:02 am

nothing about brock that worries kongo? lmao then take the fight allready. how bout the fact that kongo has no subs and mediocre at best wrestling. good luck with that kongo. "chich" decisions an off cro cop after he knees him in th balls a million times and he thinks hes the top heavyweight in the world now. brock will beat the shit out of kongo worse than herring

2. Morey

August 22, 2008 at 5:50 am

Yeah Kongo showed in the Herring fight that his ground and clinch game needs work. I can see Brock taking it to the ground and controlling Kongo like he did with Herring.

3. bryan

August 22, 2008 at 6:13 am

not much of a fan of either of these guys but i see lesnar dominating kongo worse than he did heath…i think it'll be tko stoppage in round 1

4. Ryan S

August 22, 2008 at 7:18 am

I'd rather see Lesnar win by ko or sub. If he keeps taking everyone to the ground and just laying on them and trying to ground and pound, he will be a boring fighter.

5. brent

August 22, 2008 at 7:25 am

Yeah I think Kongo thinks it's gonna be another Cro Cop scenario, where he's the heavy underdog and manages to grind out a win

To bad for Kongo, cuz he's the one that's gonna get grinded, I wonder how the odds will be set for this one

5 to 1 for lesnar?

6. John Wayne

August 22, 2008 at 7:34 am

I'm looking forward to this fight

Kongo is going to have to use his striking skills is he's gonna survive this one

Recently Kongo has been taking the safe road by holding his opponents up against the fence or on the ground without landing anything significant.

Now Kongo has to take a lot more risks in the stand up b/c his "standing time" will be limited by Lesnar's takedown ability.

However from the sounds of what Kongo has been saying, I think he's cocky enough to believe that he can run the same low risk game plan he's been doing all along…

But at least we finally get to see Kongo get punished for choosing the conservative game plan!

7. steve

August 22, 2008 at 7:40 am

This is probally the safest fight for Lesnar and should be a piece of cake. Im not saying Kongo is horrible by any means. But he lacks the takedown defense and ground game to win this fight. Unless he catches lesnar when he is coming in then he will be on his back more then Herring was. And that was almost the whole fight. I would and will be very dissapointed if Lesnar doesnt finish him with some serious ground and pound.

8. rickr3

August 22, 2008 at 7:59 am

ya know, when Brock first showed up I really thought he was going to be a joke. But I am really impressed with his mindset of fighting whoever he can get as quick as he can. I really believe he would fight anybody they put in front of him. He may not be ready for prime time yet, but he is definitely a warrior and you have to respect that.

9. TIM

August 22, 2008 at 9:49 am

Oh this is going to be fun….

10. Onri

August 22, 2008 at 2:24 pm

If Brock is nice he'll break Kongo's right arm so he can't do his OCD chest pound. Dude needs help.

11. Alvin Smith

August 22, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Its very interesting…………this fight realy do some thing ……its sounds like Killing Games

August 23, 2008 at 12:56 am

crazy fight..i like t4hem both but i think brock will win

13. whodini

August 23, 2008 at 11:36 pm

goodnight Congo we'll see you when you wake up

Lesnar gonna kill him

14. ron shaw

August 24, 2008 at 1:54 am

everyone is ready to crown lesnar as the next champion but he still has not proven himself. herring was fighting without sight in one eye and lesnar couldn't finish him. kongo is a really boring heavy weight but i think he is going to be faster than lesnar and will win a decision.

15. Oswald Gobblecock

August 24, 2008 at 10:41 am

No way, Lesnar will man handle him too.

16. Danny

August 24, 2008 at 10:43 am

Herring was fighting without sight in one eye because Lesnar made him fight with one eye.

17. whodini

August 24, 2008 at 11:17 am

yeah i have seen Congo since his first fight …he didnt have much of a ground game .. he has grown in that area a little but….strength wise … not sure..stand up? if he hits Brock a few good times and doesn't take alot of damage while doing so as Heath did.. i think Congo only hope is to tie brock up ..use his kick boxing to stay away

and make Brock work and miss … but…i am still waiting as every one to see what Brock is capable of .so far i will say not bad .. not great but not bad ..we'lll see

18. steve

August 24, 2008 at 6:59 pm

to be honest if Lesnar was somebody that nobody knew then we would all be really impressed but there are a lot of ppl that think he should be the best already or that he should be able to finish a guy that has fought and beat some of the best fighters in the world. He treated Herring a 250 lb man like he was a kid. He took basically no damage or anything. He beat him when it was standing and controlled the entire fight. And Honestly with the ufc losing so much talent in the HW department I think Lesnar is top 5 for sure. I think he could destroy Mir if they fought again and I dont really see him getting beat by Big Nog either unless he fucks up and gets caught in a submission. But other then that he can pretty much destroy anyone.

19. STEVEO

August 25, 2008 at 1:07 am

I agree with ONRI, CANT WAIT FOR THE CHEST POUND, What a doushe, I hope lesnar kills him, Kongo is just a lil to cocky for a guy who hasnt accomplished much. But his shirt was pretty sweet at the last ppv.

20. TIM

August 25, 2008 at 1:08 am

Agreed…and the scarry part is he is getting better with every training camp every day his confidence grows.

21. Andre

August 25, 2008 at 2:29 am

I would'nt take Kongo lightly , Lesnar has much to learn and has not really proven much in MMa when he fought Heath Herring i noticed that he used his wrestling but did not know or even try a submission seems he was scared to lose his ground position . if the fight would have continued standing Heath would have recovered . Kongo has good standup.

22. TIM

August 25, 2008 at 3:51 am

Look fo the last time people, Yes he is still developing skills but he had a game plan and he followed it, in there it didnt say try for a submission as Lesnar said himself the plan was to dominate and keep position. So to say he didnt try for anything is far from the truth and your just trying to degrade a world class athlete who is the beggining stages of having a great MMA career.

23. Andre

August 25, 2008 at 4:06 am

Tim i respect your opinion But in no means did i try to degrade Lesnar on the contrary i think for a beginer he's not bad but you can't just seek dominating an opponent and not show any type of advancement in the groud mma is technical the whole pupose of taking somebody down is either to ground and pound or submit. if not it turns boriing and we Know what happens to boring fighters in the UFC , the fight with Kongo Should be Good

24. ELBOWZ

August 25, 2008 at 4:31 am

Anyone hear about the KIMBO v. Ken Shamrock Fight?

25. Nichole Lesniak

August 25, 2008 at 4:42 am

Yes….I don't know what to think about it. I know it's going to be a train wreck, and I hope to god that Shamrock destroys Kimbo. But at the same time, I feel like this is a seriously desperate last ditch effort to get ratings for Elite XC. And I don't think it's going to work.

26. TIM

August 25, 2008 at 4:45 am

I Understand your point and respect you for your response.

No i have not heard about Kimbo and Ken but once again that is a wash for Kimbo i hate the man but Ken is past his prime and nees to hand em up this wouldnt be a good fight for Kimbo or Elite XC, i understand they are marketing him for the future but come on…Shamrock have him fight top level talent and earn/ make the MMA fighters respect him as in how Lesnar is being handled…he fights top level talent and will settle for nothing less. I understand the man is learning and is new but damn give the man some competion and make him earn respect.

27. TIM

August 25, 2008 at 4:48 am

Otherwise the man is simply a BUM who can throw fists from the street. He needs to earn respect in the MMA world and has not earned mine, i simply watch cause i want to see someone kick his ass.

28. TIM

August 25, 2008 at 4:53 am

But seriously this blog isnt about Kimbo…so back to Lesnar and Congo fight, its not official but it makes sense somewhat…Lesnar is definetly the favorite, it will be a good test for him as well as Kongo.

29. TIM

August 26, 2008 at 2:44 am

30. patrickgamil

September 1, 2008 at 4:15 am

brock has a right hand that isnt too hard to see coming. every 3rd time or so it's a chute for a takedown.

komgo must be on his toes not heela, and be fast and punish brock with kicks. if he is afraid to kick he'll lose. he must make brock weary of the takedown. he should think about which direction to move (to brock's left i figure) jab , leg kick, liver kick, superman, and finally a head kick. not sure how smart Kongo is though. brock will charge for sure. i' wondering if brock is actually going to overpower Kongo easily or NOT. it does appear that dana is hand picking opponents that are an easy match up for brock – in fact herring turtles where nog pulls guard – nog would have dislocated some lesnar joints

31. steve

September 1, 2008 at 10:42 am

ELBOWZ why did u have to bring up Kimbo OMFG every time somebody brings him up as a fucking random out of knowhere coment that completly changes the whole topic. Yes we heard about it but that is another thread not this one.

32. steve

September 1, 2008 at 10:44 am

Now we all know if Lesnar cant ground and pound Kongo out in the first round it will be pathetic b/c Kongo has horrible ground skills and is gonna be about 50lbs less than lasnar come fight time. So he should be able to use that and his superior wrestling skills to easily g and p him out.

33. Ryan S

September 1, 2008 at 10:49 am

I've been hearing some people saying that Kongo's ground game has improved and he might be able to hang. HA! I highly doubt his ground game went from suck to great. I didn't watch his Evenson fight where I heard his ground game improved, but in the Herring fight (I think) it was absolutely terrible. The only way Kongo will win this is if he trains smart and learns to stuff take downs and stays on his feet. Then he has a chance with his kickboxing and reach.

34. Anthony T

June 24, 2009 at 7:45 am

Cain Velasquez is twice the wrestler Lesnar is… and although Cheick lost to him, Cain was unable to finish him. Standing up, no one in the HW division can see Cheick. Cain ate some really tough shots and just kept coming, I see this fight as a test of Brocks untested chin. I agree Brock's takedowns and cage control may win him the fight but like it has been said, if Cheick connects with a knee to a lunging Brock… lights out. I am Cheick fan and I see this fight going either way, I can't wait for this fight. I hope Frank Mir wins at 100 so this fight can happen sooner! Cain will maul Frank. How can you bad mouth Cheick though? He has so much class and he lives for this, trains so hard and his ground game is IMPROVING not great dip. No respect. Against Cain, he was able to stand up in round 1! In a 5 round fight, Cheick would have knocked his block off. Wrestlers will soon have no place in the ufc. As far as Brock being a beginner… I don't think it matters, he has great trainers and is a mutant athlete… let's just see if his chin is as tough as his tattoos.

35. dane drebin

June 24, 2009 at 11:40 am

Anthony T how is velasquez twice the wrestler brock is?

Velasquez: 6'1 240 pounds Two-time All-American in wrestling for Arizona State, Two-time Pac-10 Champion, junior college national champion for Iowa Central COMUNITY College

Brock: 6'4 280 pounds four-time All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion and NCAA heavyweight wrestling champion.

and LOL at you saying wrestlers will soon have no place in the ufc. so dumb. almost ever person in the ufc has atleast some wrestling background. even people like jens pulver was a state champion in wrestling and lidell was a collegiate wrestler. wrestling will always have a place in the ufc. alot more wreslters than strikers have made the transition to mma successfully like couture, lindland, henderson, lesnar, Kos, diego, lashley, coleman, lidell, pulver, randleman, rampage, tito ortiz, hughes, trigg, leben, edgar, sherk, tyson griffin, jon jones, hamill maynard, o'brien, bader etc. the list goes on and on in each weight class.

comment 34 is prolly the stupidest comment ive read on here in awhile tho thanks for the laugh.

36. Anthony T

June 30, 2009 at 6:50 am

Who are you? NBC? I could care less how many more titles Brock has, I watch their performances in the ufc and Brocks one knee partial side control hammer fist is the worst display of wrestling I've seen. Cain on the other hand, keeps busy and always looking to advance his position. Comment 35 was pointless, thanks for the name drop because I have one for you that none of those names will ever touch, hence the destruction of wrestlers. Lyoto THE DRAGON Machida. Now please explain to me how your comment has any density? No shit wrestling will always play it's part but it's there to defend yourself, the game has evolved and I love Matt Hughes but just like him(Matt Serra could have killed him in that fight) wrestling is dead. What are you a Clay Guida fan too? Kid gtfoutta here. Everything I said is legit and until Brock proves it in the ufc, his wrestling blows other than the fact that he's a huge body and doesn't even have to wrestle.

OH and please tell me why every fighter out there is working to improve their stand up? My comment is the only one on this page with any value, why do you think nobody else commented it besides your dumbass name drop?

37. Mike

June 30, 2009 at 7:11 am

dead topic is dead.

right, reason for fighters to improve stand up

1. wrestling makes rubbish for fights.

2. wrestling makes fights boring.

3. wrestling won't mean 100% win chance.

this is MMA not Wrestling…

right Kongo vs Lesnar for me is yes… although Cheick as no ground/def game Brock has to get him down fight without getting knocked out (Kongo hits hard)

Yes Wrestling will always have a place in MMA but good striking beats good wrestling. (Silva, Machida, Fedor are examples)

38. Ryan S

June 30, 2009 at 7:37 am

I don't think any fighter should rely on just one discipline to carry themselves through the game. If a fighter is just a STRAIGHT wrestler, then yes, it will be boring. That wrestler should have more in his arsenal, then it is an exciting fight to watch, seeing them transition. I love watching well rounded fighters fight, I hate watching just a straight kickboxing, straight BJJ or straight wrestling fight.

39. Ryan S

June 30, 2009 at 7:38 am

I guess this really doesn't relate. Wrestlers are hard as fuck to roll with though sometimes.

40. Die hard lesnar fan

July 11, 2009 at 11:57 pm

The Congo Lesnar fight most likely will never happen. Frank Mir got decimated by Lesnar and Congo is no match for Mir. He's big, cumbersome, and as he throws one kick lesnar will sweep in for a take down. The question can no longer be if Congo can beat Lesnar, rather who in the ufc stands a chance against the undisputed heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar

41. Die hard lesnar fan

July 11, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Oh. And btw. Wrestling is here to stay :-) And Lesnar is the best. 106 wins and only 5 losses in collegian wrestling. No one comes close.

42. Nichole Lesniak

July 12, 2009 at 12:05 am

Shane Carwin. That's who will finally rid us of Lesnar.