Chuck Liddell Not Considering Fighting Until At Least 2010

Updated: July 6, 2009
chuck-liddell-at-ufc-88

chuck-liddell-at-ufc-88

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell told SI.com that he is taking the year off to heal his brain:

“for at least a year or so, just to let my head rest….I haven’t personally made a decision one way or the other….Hopefully my brain can heal over time …. The shot last fight is something that normally wouldn’t hurt me. I think I need at least some time off from getting hit. I’m going to take time off sparring then. I’ll train still. Still gonna roll. I’ll probably do a little more jiu-jitsu than normal because I like it. It’s fun.”

Probably a good decision, take some time off, party with some strippers, then see where your at next year. The good news for all you Chuck fans, he still hasn’t ruled out a return to fighting.

Chuck Liddell was knocked out by Mauricio Shogun Rua at UFC 97, this was his third knockout in his last five fights.

1. zack

July 6, 2009 at 1:09 am

I hated seeing Chuck get KO'd in his last couple fights. Especially against Rashad, a fight i believed Chuck was winning til he got caught with that thunderous right hand. Chuck is my favorite fighter and the greatest UFC light Heavyweight champion of all time. But, i think it's time to hang up the gloves and call it quits. It's just painful to watch him fight now. He's nowhere the fighter he's was just a couple of short years ago. But, i also would love to see him to leave the UFC with a KO victory and not end it with a KO defeat.

July 6, 2009 at 1:14 am

he will fight 1 more time, i hope..

3. icemanrcks

July 6, 2009 at 4:16 am

well i hate to say this but chuck is not the same fighter he used to be. i agree with him on the fact that he didnt let his head recover enough before he fought agin and thats why he went down on such a lite punch. i agree with both zach and tom on the fact of 1 more fight ending with his hand raised via ko would be great.

4. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 4:30 am

He is the same fighter. Even Ramapge said that Before he fought Chuck the 2nd time. this is what rampage said" Honestly I dont think Chuck changed that much since i fought the last time, I'm gonna be the Ice Breaker"

5. zack

July 6, 2009 at 5:15 am

Chuck was different the 2nd time he fought Rampage, he was 4 years older(38) than there first fight. He couldn't take a punch like he used to like a couple of years ago and he wasn't as quick and sharp with his hands. Chuck hasn't been the same fighter since Babalu and Ortiz 2. Nobody wanted to fight the Chuck of a few years ago, because he was knocking everybody out. He's difinetely not what he used to be.

6. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 5:23 am

2006 December is when he fought Tito and 2–6 august he fought Bablu. when he fought rampage it ws 2007 of may. are you saying that Chuck lost his game and got that slow in less than 9 months?????? are you saying when he fought Tito and babalu he was the real Chuck that was quick and sharp. but 5 to 9 months later when ramapge knocked out he was 38 and slower??? and than Jardine and Rashad?

7. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 5:28 am

Here is My Opinion and we wont talk about it anymore.

People actually started to fight him! they actually stood with him and outstruck him. Before it was like Take him down, take him down. They werent actually fighting him. Oh then he has got the best take down defense. Which I agree on. Rashad said after his fight that "man you have to fight chuck in his game, a lot people try to take him down but end up getting knocked out"

8. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 5:41 am

oh btw jardine didnt try to take him down and sttod with him and rocked one time in the fight and utilized leg kicks. Sorry My cage brothers i know is sound like an ass but you know i love you guys and this site is the best.

9. Mike

July 6, 2009 at 6:07 am

Chuck was never the greatest light heavy weight…. ever.

the guys Chuck fought were mostly made for him (wrestlers and grapplers)

Chuck went to Pride to fight strikers…. and came back with his tail between his legs after Rampage dominated him, after that Chuck went on to a large win streak in the UFC LHW (which SUCKED compared to Pride).

Chuck could never really take a punch, but as a counter stand up artist, he didn't need to.

10. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 6:26 am

THAK YOU MIKE!!!! ATLEAST SOMEBODY UNDERSTANDS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR THE LAST 4 POSTS!!!

11. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 6:29 am

Se this waht i mean by Dana being a chump. if anybody lost 2 fights in a row they would have been cut from the ufc. But Chukee boy gets to fight next year after having not just normal losses but devastating losses.

12. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 6:32 am

I hope frank mir can back up all of his smack talk. we will find out saturday. this so fun talking to you guys here at cagetoday.com

13. zack

July 6, 2009 at 6:57 am

Hear my opinion and we WONT talk again and I've said before that Rampage is just a bad match up for Chuck.

He's beaten Vitor, Vernon White and Alistair Overeem. there all great strikers so he has fought more than just grapplers and wrestlers. And every fighter is pretty much a wrestler or a grappler. Must fighters start from that background.

You obvouisly never watched the Chuck of old fight. He was known for having a great chin and a great punch.

14. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 7:26 am

Well guess what Rich Franklin as said by Joe roegan and a lot of people had a great chin until he met Mr. Anderson Silva. Nobody could knock out Rashad until he met Mr. Lyoto Machida. Thats what i mean when you fight an Elite Fighter than you get exposed and knocked the F*** out

15. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 7:31 am

Wandy was know to be the baddest swing for the fences striker and he gets knocked out by Dan henderson which some people on this site and mentioned by somebody in the last post was a greco roman wrestler and knokced out the Axe murderer

16. other derek

July 6, 2009 at 8:16 am

when rashad knocked out liddell i thought he died

17. ELBOWZ

July 6, 2009 at 8:18 am

hang 'em up Chuck. im not waiting a year to see an even older, rusty Chuck fight some "chump" and get ko'd.

18. sy

July 6, 2009 at 8:27 am

i like chuck so dont get me wrong i know he was a bit better b4 than what he is now and his chin was a hell of alot better but at the end of the day mma mooved up a level but chuck did not , great respect for the guy but its only gonna hurt him and his fans if he keeps fighting unless he gets a bum to knock out but i dont want to remember chuck as a guy who knocks out bums he beat the best of the best at the time, hang ur gloves up m8 u got nothing to proove just like ricky hatton go out with pride lads

19. zack

July 6, 2009 at 9:02 am

Jay, I never remember ANYONE saying that Rashad couldn't be KO'd and Rich has never had a good chin. He was KO'd early in his career against Machida and both Tanner and Louseau dropped Rich and hurt him real bad in their fights, so Franklin has never had a good chin.

And when Chuck fought Guy Mezger in Pride a few years back, Mezger hit Chuck with a bomb and dropped Chuck, just like Rashad did and Chuck popped right back up and Ko'd Guy shortly after that. So Chuck did have a good chin a while back.

20. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 9:51 am

Didnt leben have a good chin also?? just kidding Ok I am a avid mma fan and i remember Joe roagan saying in fights that Rich franklin has a great chin I think it was against Louseau or some other guy. Listen you guys I remember Chuck talking shit on the best damn sport show about how he could knock out MIKE TYSON. than chuck said on the ufc websiter before the shogun fight he would knock shogun out with confidence. Ok Chuck in my opinion could knock me out. but as a fighter he was never good

21. Kash

July 6, 2009 at 11:39 am

Chuck was at the top of the game at one point but just like any other sport, the guys coming up learn from you and become better. Physically Chuck can still compete but if he can't take a punch then there's really no point.

22. zack

July 6, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Jay, your crazy in saying Chuck was never a good fighter. Thats completely ludacris. He's has a laundry list of great opponents that he's beat. That complete garbage. Period….

Every fighter says there going to win before their fight. Either by KO or by sub. Whats he going to say? I'm goin get KO'd in my next fight. Everyone says there going to win.

Like a said before Rich got KO'd early in his career, he's never had a good chin and Joe Rogan says a lot of dumb shit like, Rich has a good chin. That doesn't make them true, just because Joe Rogan said so.

23. Kash

July 6, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I know Chuck has had losses lately but none of those fighters outclassed or dominated him. They just knocked him out. That Rashad KO was brutal though. If he can't take blows anymore, thats the punch that did it.

24. Jay

July 6, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Zach and all of my brothers here on this site i love you guys. I just love to give my opinion. thanks for letting me talk shit. and i will keep talking shit.

25. Ko209

July 6, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Jay sometimes u can be so smart but so retarded at the same time. Who's ur fav fighter. Chuck was the man and has just been getting older and slower. I think he could work on his speed and guard and he will still be a force to be reconed with. I'm no Internet trasher like u I'm a real fighter. Stockton ca. 209. When u start fighting let me know how u do. If u say chuck was never a good fighter your crazy I fought him a while back in a smoker show and I got koed. By a kick. He's the man. Don't hate this sport u love wouldn't be this far without him.

26. other derek

July 6, 2009 at 6:36 pm

ko209 you fought liddell whats your name? do u have a mma record?

27. steve

July 6, 2009 at 8:23 pm

What Mike said in post #9 is what I have said in the past. Chuck is still a hall of famer to be dont get me wrong but he is not the best striker in mma history like some say.

28. zack

July 6, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Ko209, did you really fought Chuck? What was the date when you fought him? If you have, thats pretty hard.

Jay, i can respect your opinion.

29. sy

July 6, 2009 at 11:51 pm

chuck has got ok power but his striking technique is one of the worst and he dose not protect his head at all

30. Ko209

July 7, 2009 at 12:13 am

my name is Steve Heath. I fought chuck Liddell in one of his first mma fights.

31. zack

July 7, 2009 at 12:14 am

Chuck has great power. He KO'd Couture and Ortiz twice and those guys have never been KO'd by anyone else. Except Couture who got KO'd recently by Lesnar, but if Brock hit you good with one of his lunchboxes, anyone's going down.

Chuck doesn't have the worst striking technique ever. He's won ever one of his fights that he's ever fought with his striking techinque. I agree with you in saying that he doesn't protect his head enough, but back in the old days, Chuck had a iron chin and could take big punches. Like Joe Rogan said you can only have your card punched out so many times and Chuck just had his card punched too many times. He can't take a punch like he used to.

32. zack

July 7, 2009 at 12:21 am

Steve is your fight with Chuck on youtube? I saw a Chuck fight in some org on youtube. It was in a boxing ring, not a cage. Where Chuck head kicked someone and KO'd him. Was that you or someone else? Do you remember what the date was?

33. Mike

July 7, 2009 at 1:07 am

Loss Chuck Liddell KO (Kick to the Head) IFC WC 9 – Warriors Challenge 9 7/18/2000 2 5:39

copy and pasta from Sherdog.

34. zack

July 7, 2009 at 2:03 am

Thanks for the info, Mike… I didn't know that.

Steve or Ko209, your a badass, anyone that has got into the ring and fought Chuck, gets my fullest respect. Do you still fight professional anywhere?

35. Jay

July 7, 2009 at 3:44 am

Listen I'm a hardcore mma fan and i know chuck is a bad ass fighter. I was just saying that he is not at the same level as these new talent rich fighters. 5 or 6 years ago chuck would have dominated anyone. But chuck does not want to admit that he cannot hang with them anymore. he keeps saying "I want my title back". Once chuck realizes from deep down that he cannot compete at the same level anymore he will quit himself

36. Ko209

July 7, 2009 at 4:22 am

Ya I fought about 5 months ago in sac ca. With a win by tko. I think I will only fight one or two more though and that's it I'm getting old.

37. Jay

July 7, 2009 at 4:46 am

ko209 do you Dave Clahan And Drew Humpries out of Ralph Gracie in Berkeley. They also recently fought for some casion organization in Nor cal.

38. Jay

July 7, 2009 at 4:48 am

He steve did you fight in Pancrase against Yuki Condo???

39. Ko209

July 7, 2009 at 8:23 am

Ya loss by submission. Rear naked if I remember right. I'm not the toughest but when u fight a few times and chuck Liddell is one of them. Chances are he was the toughest of all the fighters.

40. Anonymous

July 19, 2009 at 9:16 pm

chuck has not really ko'd anybody. he has tko'd a lot of people like couture, ortiz, randleman but he has very few true ko's. a real ko is what happened to him against rampage and especially rashad since he was actually unconscious. he has power but weak striking (defense and offense). he has lost the majority of his fights against strikers up until he swings wildly and connects (guy mezger, vernon white). overeem was dominating him until he gassed out. his chin has always been weak and he has always been slow. liddell has never been the best anything. he was just a ufc poster boy and nothing more.

41. Anonymous

July 19, 2009 at 9:16 pm

this is not meant as disrespect to him but he really is overrated.

42. zack

July 19, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Everything, Anonymous just said is complete bullsh*t. Chuck not overratted, look at who he has fought and beat. (Couture twice, Ortiz twice, Babalu twice, Mezger, Belfort, etc., ect. And Chuck used to be known for his iron chin. When he fought Mezger in Pride, Mezger hit Chuck with a bomb (just like Rashad did) near the end of the 1st round and Chuck popped right back up and KO'd Mezger shortly after that, early in the 2nd. I think Anonymous uses the name Anonymous because he doesn't want anyone to know who is really making these stupid comments…

43. zack

July 20, 2009 at 1:47 am

Chuck has KO'd people, ANONYMOUS. Randy was out cold when Chuck KO'd him in their 2nd fight at UFC 52. Mezger was also FLAT LINED by Chuck with his leg sickly, twisted underneth him at PRIDE 14. And if you had been reading these comments, ANONYMOUS, you would have seen that Ko209/Steve Heath say that he got head kicked and KO'd by Chuck a while back. That really stupid saying Chuck has never KO'd anybody.