Cro Cop: More Retirement Talk

Updated: June 14, 2010
cro cop mirko ufc 99

“In addition to winning the Pride Grand Prix Finals, it’s my favorite fight of my career [but] most of the training proved to me that I am now too old for this…I don’t know about a new contract with the UFC. I believe that I gave this game a lot, I fought with the greatest fighters,”

“For 20 years I lived this life and now I have no motivation for the fight, no mental strength for all the Spartan training. I am no longer so hungry for victory. I will not stop training, but if I am asleep I’ll stay in bed and practice an hour later.” [Jutarnji]

It is going to be interesting to see if Mirko Cro Cop backs up his statement or give in and that always tempting UFC pot of gold.

1. YeahBUddy

June 14, 2010 at 1:31 am

Not the first time we've heard this from CC. If he does retire I have nothing by respect for the guy. He's done it all as far as fighting and this last fight with Pat showed he does still have some of the fire, but seeing the injuries Pat sustained during the fight does make me wonder if Pat wasn't capable of finishing after he got injured.

2. CobraClutch

June 14, 2010 at 1:40 am

I agree with Yeah. I would like to add that this was a good fight to go out on. It looked like a farewell fight, almost. All the good sportsmanship, hugging during the fight, and the good finish by Cro Cop at the end seemed like the perfect horse for him to ride off into the great MMA sunset on.

So few people get to leave their sport either on top or with a good finish. You always want to reminisce about the last great fight you had, and this would be a good ending to reminisce about back in Croatia with his family and friends.

3. T.R.

June 14, 2010 at 4:18 am

agreed.

4. rhetro

June 14, 2010 at 4:45 am

well u dont wanna end your career like chuck.

but i dont understand why he doesnt drop down to 205. all the 205ers walk around 220. it would be really easy for him to make that weight class. he's too small to do anything in heavy. it would be really hard to be motivated when the top fighter is brock when u 65+ lbs lighter.

5. ninjo

June 14, 2010 at 6:39 am

Done with his UFC contract and fresh off a win over Pat Barry at UFC 117, Mirko Cro Cop talks retirement to a Croatian news site, ROFL!-117-

6. Rubs

June 14, 2010 at 6:42 am

Props to Cro Cop's EPIC career and props to Barry. Barry has lots of potential.

7. Miko

June 14, 2010 at 7:21 am

I didn't think Mirko would win but I'm glad he did.

Retirement now would be perfect. His fans wont cringe every time he fights and he can leave now on a high note.

8. MexiCAN

June 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Agreed this would be the perfect time for him to go out. Geeting old sucks…it is a part of life but seeing my parents getting old, sports figure get old…it makes me sad. To think that the CroCop that we seen recently was once one of the most fear fighters in the world. I used to watch his fights with MY HANDS up, trying to block my head from his kick. He will go down as one of my favorite fighters of all time.

Rubs- I do like Barry's potential but he has to learn some ground game. His ground game is one of the, if not the worst I have ever seen. To get chocked out from the back without your opponent having his hooks him…pretty bad. His stand up is killer though. The one thing that is going to hurt him, should he live up to his potential is height. He is in the wrong division to be that short.

9. CobraClutch

June 14, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Everyone does get old, MexiCAN…except….RANDY COUTURE, Tony Horton and Jack Lalaine! hahaha.

OMS Rocks!!! :)

10. Miko

June 16, 2010 at 7:16 am

Just read about what cro-cop was dealing with during the week leading up to his fight.

The Canaidan government was asking him questions that was none of thier business and trying to get him to name names. What a bunch of assholes.

11. Kung Fu Panda

June 16, 2010 at 9:08 am

Miko, I just read that earlier today. Shitty timing considerting that he was a few days from fighting. Considering the losses and everything he has been though recently, that was a sweat win!