Dana White: Lyoto Machida Wanted More Money To Fight Rashad Evans

Updated: July 13, 2011

Lyoto Machida’s camp is not in good favor with UFC Prez Dana White after backing out of his UFC 133 fight with Rashad Evans. Here is Dana’s take on the incident.

Machida accepted the fight … We knew for a couple days this was going down, and Machida accepted the fight. Then when we called back and said, ‘OK, we’re going to make this fight,’ Machida’s people came back and said, ‘We’ll tell you what. You pay us what you pay Anderson Silva, and we’ll take the fight.’ This was after they had already agreed to take the fight … “I said, ‘Are you [expletive] kidding me? I’ll tell you what. You tell Machida he achieves what [expletive] Anderson Silva has achieved, then maybe he’ll make Anderson Silva money. Have a nice day.’ …. “They said, ‘Machida will fly out there tomorrow if you pay him what you pay Anderson Silva,'” White said. “They said they do the deal, then I call back to make it and what’s what they said.

While Lyoto is in the UFC dog house, Tito Ortiz gets on Dana’s good side.

“Tito turned it down, and then Tito called back and said, ‘Did you get the fight yet?’ … I said, ‘Nope.’ He goes, ‘Let me think about it. Let me talk to my team, and I’ll call you back tomorrow.’ This was Tuesday night.”

“[Expletive] right, [Tito] he gets a break … Tito stepped up to the plate. It’s [expletive] weird here. It’s like I’m dealing with a new person. I like it. I like the new Tito.

“The storyline is what’s so interesting. Tito went from ‘You’re about to be cut,’ to now, if he beats Rashad Evans, he’s back in the mix. He’s back in the picture.”

1. Anonymous

July 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Machida wanted Anderson Silva money?? He's crazy what has he done to deserve the same paycheck that Anderson Silva gets.

• Anonymous

July 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm

the machida era lasted for just one controversial win while the anderson silva era has lasted for years. some money to take a fight on short notice is fine, but it's not like he hasn't trained for rashad before. its not like he's going in at the last minute either. i would have done exactly what dana did too.

2. J.S. Murphy

July 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm

White wanted Machida to fill in last minute and fight a guy that he has already beaten to save his main event.  Machida may not deserve Silva money but a negotiation doesn't seem unrealistic to me.

3. mirian** moraes

September 4, 2011 at 10:32 am

eu amo vc lyoto, sou sua fã d++++++++

4. joicefl

December 9, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Lyoto, vc é liindooo…e um ótimo lutador, suas lutas são um máximo!

5. bush imbaus

April 4, 2012 at 6:23 am

did machida's technique is karate??…