Dana White Not Surprised By The CBS/Strikeforce Brawl

Updated: April 19, 2010

UFC President Dana White is still a little ticked that CBS choose to pass on the UFC deal,

“Shame on CBS for this. They knew they should have been with us, but they went out and let those Showtime idiots talk them into going with Elite XC …. Now, they’re stuck with a bush league, C-level promotion that will probably be out of business next month … what you saw on Saturday is the kind of thing that happens when you put a product like that on national television.”[YahooSports]

He also says that UFC fighter Nate Diaz would not be punished for his actions on CBS and blames the brawl on the less professional promotion.

“Have you ever seen him do that at one of my shows?”

1. CobraClutch

April 19, 2010 at 3:29 am

I usually agree with Dana, but this is marketing pr bullshit. The Diaz Bros are scumbags and would do this anywhere…if given the opportunity. This wouldn't have happened in the UFC, because Mayhem would have been brought into the cage with Dana, and told to "hype up" the fight. And wouldn't have just jumped in there mid-interview. It would have been handled differently (more professionally) in the UFC, so I get Dana's point. But to say that the organization is to blame is only half correct. You mix and unprofessional, unorganized set-up with a couple of animals, and this was bound to happen.

But Strikeforce, if anything, will probably grow in popularity due to this…well, at least awareness. It will probably shrink in fandom with casual fans, though, because there were no KO's…it was pretty much wrestling and ground action for the most part (except the Melendez fight). And we all know from reading these boards how little casual fans like wrestling. Hahaha. It was silly, immature, and put Strikeforce on the level of WWE.

2. Mac

April 19, 2010 at 5:59 am

He summed it up with the term "Bush League", then again you learn from your mistakes and Coker will learn from this.

3. Miko

April 19, 2010 at 6:50 am

"And we all know from reading these boards how little casual fans like wrestling."

Hello TROLLbraclutch.

#1 Casual fans don't come to sites like cagetoday because they've never heard of it. But maybe you were referring to other sites like mmanews or sherdog so I'll digress

#2 Casual fans don't care if the fight goes to the ground

as long as they keep busy. They only get pissed when they repeatedly go to the ground and do nothing while they're down there.

What we saw Saturday night was not wrestling. Wrestling is fine. However, lay and pray has GOT TO GO.

This bull$h1t with these wrestlers taking guys down, dragging them to the fence and then doing NOTHING for FIVE F@#KING ROUNDS has got to stop or the sport will die.

4. PoppyNick

April 19, 2010 at 7:15 am

Well said Miko, I could not agree more.

5. STEVEO

April 19, 2010 at 9:17 am

ding ding ding

6. Deuces

April 19, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I see your point Miko, but I can't quite make up my mind on this issue. Part of me ascribes to the Joe Rogan philosophy, that you shouldn't mess with the fighters no matter how boring the position is. However, it's not a streetfight and that's why we have refs and judges and timed rounds. That said, I don't think the problem is the wrestlers. The problem is the fighters who haven't evolved enough to neutralize a good wrestlers takedowns, and a scoring system that isn't appropriate for the sport.

Look at the King Mo/Mousasi fight. King Mo took him down at will, and most of the time Mousasi didn't even make an attempt at takedown defense. However, even from the bottom he landed a plethora of effective strikes. Did you guys see Mo's face? He got beat up, even from the top position. Yet he still won a unanimous decision. Takedowns are an integral part of the sport, but if a guy can't do anything from on top, and the fighter on the bottom is beating the crap out of him, then the fighter on the bottom needs to be getting points.

I think the scoring needs to change to encourage fighters to make the most of the positions they're in and always look for the finish. I don't know how we can encourage fighters to learn takedown defense though…

7. CobraClutch

April 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Miko, you can try to defend the postings all you want, and call me names that you don't even know the meaning of, but it doesn't take away from the fact that there's a lot of people on this site (and others) that bitch and complain every time a fight is on the ground, or a fighter takes the fight to the ground and keeps it there because it's his strength.

Case in point, all the GSP backlash. He tried repeatedly to finish Hardy but it didn't work. He didn't lay and pray. Another example: The Mousasi/Mo fight had a lot of action, but people on these boards said it was "boring." You can try to position things however you would like, but I speak in facts and all you have to do is read the boards and see all the calls by many people here to stand and bang. There are definitely a fair share of posters who only want to see big punches fly. Rarely will you ever see someone enjoy the nuances of MMA. They just want to see KO's and TKO's.

And let me correct you on what a Troll actually is. It's the least I can do to help out a fellow Cage Today poster so you won't make this mistake again on another post. A "troll" is someone who just posts bullshit to start a fight. Just because you don't agree with me, doesn't make me a "troll." If anything, you calling me a troll is a very troll-like thing to do. hahaha. If the truth hurts and digs deep, then maybe you should go watch some boxing or muay thai if you don't like MMA. You have your own questions to answer…just don't project your own insecurities on me, and try to drag me down to your level, because I'm too much of a man to let that happen, OK, my brother?

Let me leave you with something to think about. You CAN have differing opinions with people, and you can disagree with people. It's OK. Just make your points according to your beliefs. You don't have to insult to get your point across, if you want to win the argument. When you resort to name-calling and insults then that only weakens your point by making it emotional and not entirely factual. You hurt your credibility if you can't debate without getting all emotional. Just state your beliefs, and say your piece. It's a free country. More power to you, dude. :)

8. ChineseNuts

April 19, 2010 at 11:55 pm

I'm all for changing the scoring system. Deuces even brought up a very valid point in the King Mo v. Mousasi fight. Mousasi did a sh!t ton of damage from the bottom, but looking at the judges score card they only seemed concerned with King Mo getting the take downs over and over again. I wouldn't even mind the card system making a return from PrideFC. That was one of the best things about Pride IMHO.

Also on the subject of this column: The brawl was total BS on both sides of the line. Gracie camp and Miller are to blame, but who's to say it wasn't a PR stunt. Sh!t as the old saying goes, "Contraversy creates Cash" and in this sport brings in even more casual fans who are willing to drop down good money on a fight, even going so far as to go to them live…..

And to make one more point clear, while he/she/it might be a bitch at times on these boards and argue for the sake of arguing on this board (c'mon admit it's just fun to do at times). CobraClutch is no "troll". I've lurked on this board for a long time. You want to see some trolls go over to Sherdog's boards. I really havn't seen too many here. A real troll would start all their posts with crap like "WAR DIAZ BROS!" or "FUG DANA WHITE!"

9. Miko

April 20, 2010 at 6:33 am

Deuces:

yup, reward people for fighting on the bottom and don't give points for take-downs followed up by NOTHING and that will eliminate what I'm bitching about.

That or they could always go left and use yellow cards :)

Clutch:

"it doesn’t take away from the fact that there’s a lot of people on this site (and others) that bitch and complain every time a fight is on the ground"

-You're right it doesn't take away from that, however, all I said was they aren't casual fans like you said they were if you were referring to THIS site specially.

"GSP backlash"

-If people bitched, I agree with you. I don't read this site religiously so I didn't catch any GSP bitching, or least I don't remember.

The King mo fight WAS boring. Mo just laid there on top of Mousasi and did nothing.

who cares how hard mousasi is kicking ass if he just lays there underneath and the judges don't reward him for it anyway?

"a fair share of posters who only want to see big punches fly"

-Again, that doesn't make them casual fans. they just

aren't the same kind of fans as you are.

"let me correct you on what a Troll actually is."

-YOU are going to enlighten ME on what a troll is….

holy shit you made my year!!! YAYYY!!!!!!

a troll is not just someone who just posts bullshit to start a fight. It can also be anyone who does things to annoy people repeatedly.

like, oh I don't know an opinionated know it all with a superiority complex beyond belief?

My god you are verbose: Two paragraphs to drone on and on about what a troll is and a bunch of other shit I couldn't even figure out.

You climbed so high up on your soap box that I didn't even know what the hell you were talking about anymore.

good Christ, I'm surprised you didn't tell me to stand in the corner and think about what I said.

btw/ a lot of forum users will also refer to anyone who's frequently obnoxious as a troll too.

"CobraClutch Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Hahahaha. Just type in one thing and they take the bait and attack. hahahaha."

source: http://cagetoday.com/matt-hughes-punks-joe-ro

take the bait huh?

I stand by what I said, regardless of how right you think you are.

10. CobraClutch

April 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Miko…it's funny, because your post is exactly what you are bitching about ME doing. hahahaha. every single point. (verbose, argumentative troll-like activities, not to mention the obsessive stalking throughout the site to find old posts). lol. man, you need to relax, brother. hahaha.

have a good day, chill out. have a drink, or release some tension on http://www.iamnotatroll.com or something. you shouldn't post things bitching about people while you're doing the exact same things. hahaha. at least i'm consistent.

and, no, i don't post things "to annoy people"…I state my opinions. If you don't like it, then post contrary opinions. i don't get upset if people don't agree with me. if you get upset because of what I personally feel and think, just because it differs from your opinions, then you have your own issues to work through, brother, and i can't help you with that. hahaha.

11. Miko

April 21, 2010 at 6:18 am

Wow, all kinds of lures and bait in that post.

12. PoppyNick

April 21, 2010 at 7:37 am

Cobra I'm going to state my opinion and have a couple of question for you as well.

1. Why do you always have to bring up people bitching about GSP? I mean we got it, you are a HUGE FAN, it's obvious.

2. You say not to argue with "emotion" yet you accuse people on this site about being a casual fan and to watch boxing and that they are not educated enough about MMA. You do this often too.

3. You also always like to post a smart ass remark after somone does state their opinion and follow it up with your own laughter……just hope your laughing with yourself and not at yourself.

Basically, not trying to be a dick but your throwing rocks at a glass house kid. Take some accountibility for your own actions and comments. You make some good comments and state some good opinions. Just notice when you are getting under someones skin and take a step back so you practice what you preach bro.

13. CobraClutch

April 21, 2010 at 7:53 am

I hear ya, Poppy, but with all due respect, I posted first, and then Miko started with the whole insult game and bashing. So instead of hitting back with equal idiocy, I tried to calm it down. Maybe instead of trying to teach me manners about backing off on a stupid internet posting board, you should send an equally strong message to Miko about starting shit on the board in the first place. Hmmm??

And if you guys don't like me posts…don't read them. Ignore them. No one says you have to start shit with me just because you disagree. It's a friggin MMA blog, jeez. Can everyone just take a chill pill and relax at least a little bit? hahaha. Smile, people…it's going to be alright. Life is good. There are more important things to bitch about than MY opinions…honestly. :)

14. CobraClutch

April 21, 2010 at 8:13 am

I'm sorry…I didn't answer your questions.

1. Whenever someone states that GSP is boring, I stick up for him. So ask them about why they complain so much.

2. Telling someone to watch boxing because they hate wrestling is not emotional. Just helping them find a sport they might like better since they're so pissed that this sport contains other aspects to victory other than throwing punches until someone falls down.

3. I think my post above covers that.

Peace out…and enjoy your day, people… :)

15. Miko

April 21, 2010 at 9:54 am

"hitting back with equal idiocy" hehheh , he's good.

That wasn't a troll worthy comment at all.

It's only idiotic to you because don't like that I called you a troll and backed it up

Peace out…and enjoy your day, BROTHER… :)

16. CobraClutch

April 21, 2010 at 10:35 am

For someone who doesn't come here oftern, you sure do have a hard on for me, don't you? hahaha. Relax, man, it's OK. :)

17. Nichole Lesniak

April 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm

lol Cobra…. I think we are becoming the minority in here!

18. PoppyNick

April 22, 2010 at 2:07 am

I wouldn't say that I would just say if you want to be respected in your opinions then be respectful of others and don't place yourself on a soapbox as if you are the know all end all of MMA. Pretty simple and not rocket science.

19. CobraClutch

April 22, 2010 at 2:54 am

Nichole, I think it's funny.

Poppy, I never said "I know all"…why don't you get down from YOUR soap box and just let it go. OK? Or, do I need to write a formula in jet fuel theoretics for you to understand to just let it go and enjoy your life. It's not even your fight anyways, and you're defending someone who started shit. Just breathe. I'll see you guys in another post later on. lol.