Dana White UFC 129 Video Blog, Fight Week

Updated: April 26, 2011

1. Ray23

April 26, 2011 at 10:58 am

I like Dana but it's kind of hypocritical when you say Strikeforce is not in their league for years then all of a sudden he's a huge fan.

2. Rich

April 27, 2011 at 8:43 am

He never says its in their league. Strikeforce is now the farm minor leagues for UFC. He owns it of course he's gonna talk it up. Hypocrisy does not factor into smart big business.

3. Ray23

April 27, 2011 at 10:34 am

Good points but I think they've got guys on their roster that are in their league. Their heavyweights are top notch. Its just a matter of seeing how they do against UFC wrestlers like Cain Velasquez and Shane Carwin. Their lighter classes are really strong and I think Aldo could eventually fight for the lightweight UFC title too. Their middle weight classes (MW, LHW) don't have the depth that the UFC has but their top guys are contenders.

4. Nichole Lesniak

April 27, 2011 at 12:17 pm

If they were "top notch" wouldn't they already be in the UFC?

5. Ray23

April 28, 2011 at 2:46 am

Not necessarily:

Fedor – wanted too much to sign with the UFC

Barnett – will never fight in the UFC because Dana absolutely hates him

Big Foot – had too many fights left on his Elite contract that rolled over

Overeem – didn't seem to want to fight MMA, maybe he was taking something because he chose K1. When he fought MMA fights against Cro Cop he dominated.

Wierdum – couldn't come to terms with the UFC

Rogers – not enough fights or a big fanbase

Sobral -got kicked out of the UFC for chocking someone out

Mousasi – top notch striker known internationally but unknown in the U.S.

Hendo – couldn't come to terms with the UFC even though he was coming off a KO of a top UFC contender and at that point the gave Anderson Silva his best challenge

Cavalcante- trains with Anderson Silva and has been pretty impressive

King Mo – not enough fights

Nick Diaz – attitude problem

Jacare – not marketable yet

Gilbert Melendez – I don't know why they didn't bring him over yet

Mayhem Miller – they should have brought him over when he got a show on MTV, he was marketable

6. Nichole Lesniak

April 28, 2011 at 3:14 am

Again, I wouldn't call many on those list "top notch."

(and as a side note, Mayhem was already briefly in the UFC and got the boot after a beating from GSP)

7. Ray23

April 28, 2011 at 6:03 am

Fair enough, which of those guys on the list can't stack up in the UFC right now. So what if Mayhem lost to GSP. I can name a few UFC title holders that got brutalized on their way to the top, inside and out of the UFC.

8. Monster

April 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I have to agree with Ray23. i understand that "now" that the UFC owns SF, that they have to market it but this is exactly what makes so many people dislike Dana. We have seen him take this stance with fighters to. When they are signed by the UFC, he will talk them up to be in the top 5 but when they leave, they suck all of a sudden. And after agreeing with Ray23 for a second time, someone is gonna say somehting about me only agreeing with someone else but SF's top guys, IMO, are right up there with the UFC's top guys- in most but not all divisions. I have thought for a while and still do that once everything is said and son Allistair is going to tbe the top HWT of them all. I also think that Gilbert, Frankie, Gray, and Alvarez are 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d…in no particular order- they are all pretty much equally as good. Now the other weights classes, yeah the UFC is way dominant with the except of a couple fighters but 2 out of 5 (SF does not have 135 or 145 like the UFC does since the WEC merger), I have to say that, that's pretty competitive. Now, I would agree that SF does not have the depth or the stable of fighters that the UFC has.

Also, Dana is contractidicting himself by saying that each promotion will operate independently and then he brings over Mayhem and now I read on another site that he is in talks with bringing over Diaz. If he is going pluck out the good fighters and leave the mediocre, bad, and newcomers on SF, even for free, I won't watch SF. He should either keep them apart or just bring all of the SF into the UFC. IMO for the best interest of the fans and the 2 orgs, you have to do it one way or the other if not the SF is just going to go shit anyway.

9. Mikey

April 29, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I think all of those guys can compete in the UFC. But I agree with Nichole that you can't call their Heavy's 'top notch'. Lets see how they do in the UFC.

10. JBrennan

May 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I agree with Monster's rankings of the top 4 LHW fighters and I'd like to see Alvarez and Melendez take on the UFC's top guys..Maynard and Edgar. I hope they don't pluck the best Strikeforce fighters but it looks like that's what Dana is doing. So Strikeforce is going to just go down slowly until it's announced that they will be done. Just like Pride.