Dope Report: Sean Sherk And Hermes Franca Test Positive For Steroids

Updated: July 19, 2007

mma doping

Sean Sherk:

According to the California State Athletic Commission, Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk has tested positive for elevated levels of Nandrolone. What is that? Its an anabolic steroid that we all have naturally, but normally it is between 2 ng/ml – 4 ng/ml for a fighter. Sherk registered 12 ng/ml in his drug test following his first title defense against Hermes Franca in UFC 73.

This is huge as drugs continue to tarnish the progress of MMA and for a champion to test positive is a real disappointment. Worse yet, right now they are planning to fine Sherk $2,500 and keep him from fighting for almost a year, until June 26, 2008.

Sherk has 30 days to dispute the results and setup a hearing on his behalf. Otherwise, the punishment stands and we can probably expect the UFC Lightweight title to be up for grabs again.

Hermes Franca

Yup, Hermes Franca has decided to come clean too. He has released a statement to mmaweekly.com stating he will fail.

His statement says that eight weeks out from the fight he suffered a severe ankle injury that kept him from training properly for Sherk. He asked the UFC if they could postpone the event until UFC 74 so he could rehab and train properly. They denied the request and he said he had no choice but to cheat a little.

“At this point I was desperate and needed anything I could to get my injury as close to healing as possible and be able to recover from the daily training regimen I was going through. I made the shortsighted choice to hopefully accelerate the healing process and allow me to keep training. Under the pressure of literally not being able to pay next months bills I made a choice. I had to fight and did whatever I could to do so.”

Franca also explains the little pay that Lightweights get and how important it was to be able to provide for his family. He cheated as a last resort in his mind. He finished his statement by saying:

“I hope my fans, students, the UFC and the public accept my sincere apology. Whatever punishment is dictated by the California Athletic Commission I will understand. I would like to get through this very difficult time and the times ahead and get back to fighting. All the best to my fans and much thanks to my family and friends that continue to support me during these times.”

It is reported that Franca tested positive for the steroid Drostanolone. His punishment is also $2,500 and he will be suspended until July 5, 2008.

1. Realwun

July 19, 2007 at 7:05 am

Shitty. There is not excuse for this stuff. You're going to get tested. All of these fighters getting caught by the CSAC must be stupid as hell.

2. Crynot

July 19, 2007 at 7:33 am

This sucks! This sucks for the sport, for the sports future, for the guys who are honestly busting their asses training and it sucks for the fans.

Dana White better pull a team together and figure out how to control this, or the UFC is going to hurt.

It pisses me off.

3. Joey

July 19, 2007 at 11:20 am

Sherk is so dumb, he works out like a madman and then does this. He already had a physical advantage. They should take his title and kick his ass out of the UFC along with any other fighter caught roiding.

4. Adrian Tapia

July 19, 2007 at 12:48 pm

I knew Sherk was a Juicer, he works out insanely and did you see he takes like 23 supplements each day and is cut like a brick wall. Hermes Por Que(WHY)…..

5. Morey

July 19, 2007 at 2:35 pm

I knew it, Sherk is one of the only MMA fighters that people aren't really shocked about testing positive.

His neck bulges, his training is almost inhuman, it just happened that he got sloppy this time and used too close to the fight.

6. Jay

July 20, 2007 at 4:25 am

Fuck em ALL. Anyone who takes steroids in any sport should be banned from that sport for life!!!! I bet mutha fuckers would stop cheating then. Fuck Sean Jerk, and Hermes Fucker!

7. Morey

July 20, 2007 at 5:29 am

….damn, thats some roid rage right there.

8. BJ

August 22, 2007 at 8:15 pm

Summplements in general are getting cracked down on too much, its all total BS. Look at the WWE (which is boring ass stupid anyway), how do you think those guys got like that? Some of those guy cause alot of juice to be smuggled into the country (fact, I know personally). Its been used ro years by many people. Gov. Terminator used to use them. If I was betting money I would say sherk used them, do I care, NO I dont give a shit! Should he loose his title, I hope not, hell with all you whinning little mamma's boys', go whine to someone who gives a sh*t!!!! Those who complain are just cry babies, Dont forget to wipe away the tears little girls!!!!

9. BJ

August 22, 2007 at 8:17 pm

dont bother anyone leaving any comments to me, because I stubbled across this site and once I submit this I probably wont come across it again. So you will be crying and complaining yourself……

10. Joey

August 23, 2007 at 9:24 am

Comment and run because you know your retarted. Heres the thing, if it should be no big deal that people take steroids, then why is it a big deal that they dont. If it isnt cheating, just another supplement, then why not just quit and do something else. Oh yeah, because it is cheating, everyone knows that. I know that I cant hack it in sports so I'm not in sports, I dont cheat up the ass to do it, I just do other things.

11. daniel

October 26, 2007 at 5:46 am

dude… sherk trains hard, his body naturally did it. the normal limit is 50 mg not 12 anyways you fuckheads… read between the lines kids..

12. CagE

October 26, 2007 at 6:19 am

daniel, 12 nl/ml. not 12mg. mg is a weight not a % of volume.

Sherk is a roider who has slowed up the ufc lightweights for a 1.5 years now.

13. onri

October 26, 2007 at 6:49 am

In the all access Sherk takes like 60 supplement pills or some crazy amount like that. Is there any way those pills can be such a benefit to his body that he could elevate to a 12 w/o having to be on a banned substance??? Or do you guys think he just cycled off too late from roids????

14. conan

April 4, 2008 at 6:39 am

You guys are fucking retarded!!! If golfers, runners, cyclists, people who play baseball ect use steroids then it only seems smart If your fighting that you would use. Fucking idiots!!!

15. Kash

April 4, 2008 at 7:03 am

It doesn't make it right. All of those guys who get caught are hated, doesn't matter what they did in their career. Who like Barry Bonds anymore? If you are an athlete and want to take the chance then go for it but if you get caught say goodbye to your legacy.

16. Nicks

April 4, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Kash said it right the juice doesn't pay off. Look at Ken Shamrock, Bob Sapp, and a few others.

Most people see steroids for what they are a form of cheating you didn't earn/build all that muscle you injected it and those people can't handle not having an edge somehow.

I hope you enjoy rooting for your steroid fighters and love watching them lose. Real fighters don't need the juice to win. Fighters>Athletes

17. kom34

April 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm

i think thats right too. it doesn't matter if you smash records when somebody rats you out or you get caught cheating. you are automatically discredited.