EliteXC Bribing Its Fighters? Seth Petruzelli Thought So

Updated: October 6, 2008
petruzelli-kimbo

With all the shadiness of the first EliteXC on CBS show still on our minds, it looks like we finally have some proof that EliteXC is influencing its fighters so that its cash cow (Kimbo Slice) doesn’t have to expose the weakness in his ground game.

Seth Petruzelli is claiming he was approached by EliteXC promoters and hinted at changing his game plan to keep the fight standing.

Seth Petruzelli on Monsters in the Morning radio show:

“My original plan was to throw out push kicks, have him think that I’m gonna throw them more, and then to shoot in on him, obviously. But the promoters kind of hinted to me, and they gave me the money to stand and trade with him. They didn’t want me to take him down, let’s just put it that way. It was worth my while to try to stand up and punch with him.”

Is MMA going the way of boxing? Should we start drinking that UFC Koolaid and start thinking of the promotion as a brand like in the NFL or MLB?.

1. Oswald Gobblecock

October 6, 2008 at 11:27 am

Is MMA going the way of boxing? No, is EliteXC? Yes!

2. steve

October 6, 2008 at 11:44 am

Fuck you if you like Kimbo. Others feel the same way I do but no1 talks shit on them, why is that? Is it because they don't make fun of me for what I said about Kimbo but for me talking shit on people just so I can lose the argument later on. Maybe if I pretend to be Tong Po i'll finally get some respect since he and others have dogged me and sided together cause I'm a huge tool! I can't figure why they think that. Go Kimbo!

3. Ryan S

October 6, 2008 at 11:53 am

Thats ridiculous. I'm glad Petruzelli didn't do what they said.

4. miko

October 6, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Actually ryan, technically, he did.

They only went to the ground when kimbo fell flat on his face

5. Kash

October 6, 2008 at 1:43 pm

He made 50 grand and probably would have made under 10 grand if he didn't fight Kimbo. I believe him when he says they hinted that they wanted it standing, he seems like a stand up guy. This sucks. $kala is making MMA look like a fix. I stopped watching boxing because I couldn't stomach some of the decisions. I hope he learned his lesson.

October 6, 2008 at 1:44 pm

that would never happend in the ufc

7. Kash

October 6, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Thats true…

8. JOn Dean

October 6, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I've been saying it all along. FIXED FIXED FIXED. All of the promotions do it.

9. steve

October 6, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Wow someone posting as me again? Oswald by this point im guesing that u also post as tong po and are probally a stalker. I havent posted on this thread yet and ur posting as me again?Name an arguement u beat me at. Saying I lose dont mean I lost lmao. Most of the arguements on this thread r OPINIONS and there is no way to prove that either side is correct but for some reason u say im the one who says im never wrong. LMAO u and ur little posse r the ones who think they r always right. I have admitted to beiong wrong in the past but let me guess u have never been wrong on this site have u? wait let me guess u wont answer that.

10. steve

October 6, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Actually I bet it has happened in the UFC and it happened in Pride with Rampage. Rampage was offered more money to lose to Sakuraba in the fight then he could make if he won the fight. Just like any sport there are always crooked people in the sport. Its all about money.

11. steve

October 6, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Anyone see Kimbos eye after the fight? He got tagged better then I thought. It was swollen as hell.

12. dane drebin

October 6, 2008 at 5:52 pm

ya i dunno if it was from the first punch or the ones on the ground but he got fucked up

13. Oswald Gobblecock

October 6, 2008 at 6:27 pm

So now I'm posting as you and I'm also Tong Po? What post haven't I beaten you in who be a better question. Every post that I've checked back in that is. Not old posts that are off the front page that you may have replied to much later hoping that I'd never see them. All I know is people laughed at you when Tong Po dogged you. No1 has laughed at your posts. People agreed that you are a jackass. You talk shit on others for whatever bullshit reasons that don't hold up. Then when we dogg you for it people jump ship cause they also think you're a loser. Based off people's votes, comment/responses, laughter… it's a safe bet that you've lost every time.

14. Jake

October 6, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Pride was well known for the "fix" being on especially in the early days. It cost them their organization.

The UFC has always been bigger than 1 fighter. They didn't need Randy Couture , Matt Hughes or Chuck Liddell. They survived with them losing the belts. The UFC has always been great at promoting itself and it's brand. Many of the "mainstream"or "TUF" fans think that the UFC is the "ONLY" top level MMA organization. That is more of a credit to the UFC than a discredit to the new fans.

The UFC is the organization that is making HUGE amounts of profits. If you think they would jeopardize making millions and millions of dollars to "fix" a fight you obviously do not understand the cost/benefit ratio. They have nothing to gain because they make all the money anyways. However it could cost them everything they worked so hard to try and accomplish.

It was only a couple years ago and the UFC only had one sponsor(Mickey's big mouth) and had only 4-6 pay per views. Now the list of mainstream sponsorships never ends. Harley Davidson and Budweiser are huge world wide brands. There is a pay per view every month a few free shows and two seasons of reality TV during the year. All that leads to a ton of money for the UFC. No way are they going to throw all that away.

15. Fino

October 7, 2008 at 1:40 am

I believed the previous Kimbo fight was a fix. There was no way that British fighter had to come into the cage with his ear that swollen. Havn't they heard of a suringe to drain the ear. It seemed as though the British fighter was holding back at times during that fight. The UFC has never given me a reason to feel like the fix was in.

16. TIM

October 7, 2008 at 3:06 am

Okay Seth said they changed his pay to SIX figures, so 50k wouldnt be right and Kimob gets 500K what a joke that is pathetic.

17. danny

October 7, 2008 at 3:15 am

Yeah pride use to fix fights. About the ear they were worried about infection I guess and Oswald take a chill pill u r acting like a hard ass on computer bro. It sounds like like u truely hate steve for saying his opinions. Nobody should act like a hard ass on computer. And who is to say that his or her opinion is right or wrong. Just because more people agree dont mean its right.

18. TIM

October 7, 2008 at 3:29 am

I agree…i have been known to come across as a hard ass but i learned to laugh about it and realize shit this is just a web site to voice opinions and know here is really here to say its right or wrong although majority may prevail it doesnt make it right..these are all opinions. anyways yes i think the last fight was fixed for kimbo and well i couldnt be happpier now that he got creamed the way he did.

19. Jordan Katz

October 7, 2008 at 3:50 am

Very well said Jake…

That's what makes the UFC by far the best brand in MMA. They have slowly built an array of superstars so that they do not have to rely on one fighter.

20. jbraytown