EliteXC News: Kimbo Slice Fighting In February, Rumor Tank Abbott

Updated: November 16, 2007
Kimbo Slice  Tank Abbott

Kimbo Slice  Tank Abbott

According to Fight Network Radio, Kimbo Slice will be fighting in the next EliteXC event sometime in February.

Famed Internet street fighter Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson announced today that he would return to the cage at the next EliteXC event in February against a yet to be determined opponent. The YouTube legend, who has transformed himself from backyard brawler to professional mixed martial artist, made the announcement on Fight Network Radio.

Rumors have surfaced, that EliteXC is trying to make the fight with Tank Abbott happen. Abbott has only won one fight in seven years, but you know he wont take a dive like Bo Cantrell. Here is a little clip of an interview with Bas Rutten:

Bas On Kimbo’s Next Opponent:

I want him to fight Tank because I heard in my interview yesterday that Tank made a video or something and he’s mocking Kimbo in the video. We didn’t see the video but we heard about it. They asked me about it and I had no comment because I have not seen it. If he makes those comments though then maybe he should take the fight.

Bas On Kimbo’s Potential As A Fighter:

He has a lot of potential. The enigma, the magnetic attraction he has with the people. He’s a great guy. He’s got a special aura. He’s got that killer instinct. His stand-up is better, his striking is coming together. His ground is coming together. I have some fighters who didn’t respect him. But I told them that he trains as hard if not harder than you. For him to move away from his family for several weeks, eight weeks, that says a lot about his motivation. He deserves everything that he’s got right now.

MMA Frontline

1. Leet

November 16, 2007 at 3:54 am

Here we go again, just when you thought the circus fight was history and he was going to do some reall MMA.

2. Morey

November 16, 2007 at 4:08 am

I know the old Kimbo would fight Tank for calling him out. Tank really wants that payday. But I thought the new Kimbo was a pro MMA fighter who took it seriously. Why doesnt he face a real opponent now. I don't see any reason fighting Tank because at the very least, Kimbo will work him because he is in much better shape.

3. derek

November 16, 2007 at 5:12 am

Ok wait, somebody explain this to me. Wasn't Tank-Kimbo supposed to happen like last week, and then fell through for some reason???? Kimbo would absolutely beat the crap out of the Tank

4. Kash

November 16, 2007 at 5:35 am

You're right but just like Leet said…the circus is back in town…

November 16, 2007 at 5:45 am

if tank comes in shape i think he will win…but he will not be in shape.

6. steve

November 16, 2007 at 6:07 am

Has tank ever been in shape tom? He has never made it out of Rd. 1 ever. He has lost 13 of 22 fights. Making his record 9-13. His stand up is not good and that led to him being tko'd 5 times with 5ko's of his own. Kimbo is more powerful in another class with conditioning and on another level as a whole mma fighter. Tank Abbott sucks cuz he doesnt know how to evovle. The sport left him behind.

7. Realwun

November 16, 2007 at 7:45 am

Tanks not stupid, he knows he's going to lose. He wants the payday and he will keep getting that payday because he represents what people like in MMA, what Forrest, Houston, and what Kimbo is trying to represent. Tough guys with no fear who love trading blows with someone.

8. Joe

November 16, 2007 at 6:33 pm

A lot of you have very good points, but as far as the topic goes……..Snore….Snore……Snore…I could make a prediction, but I don't care who wins the "Royal Rumble" freak show between these two. I don't care what Tank is doing with his career these days. As soon as Kimbo's popularity is milked for every dollar it's worth, he'll be nearly forgotten as well (IMO). I watched that stupid video of Tank's. It was a colossal waste of time.

They have to do something I guess. EliteXC's HW division isn't exactly DEEP. I guess they're doing the best with what and who they have to work with.

9. rawww

November 25, 2007 at 3:12 pm

You guys keep complaining about kimbo not fight real fighter that doesn’t make since. Why would he fight high rank fighter right off the back. He has to build his resume up before he start fighting fighter like that. Soon as he get a few more fights in then he should go after the big named fighters. Be patient and see what he does.

10. Derek

November 25, 2007 at 4:59 pm

I agree with rawww. Kimbo is just getting started in the sport. Let him get some fluff fight like everyone else. Pride fighters arent even getting big fights in the UFC because of the adjustment to the cage. Kimbo will get better fights the more he wins…then we will see what all the hype is about.

11. JOE

November 26, 2007 at 8:44 pm

Kimbo is advertised as a "legend." He gets all the hype and respect that he hasn't earned. So many people say he's such a "force" as a HW. There's only one reason for this. Good marketing.

Take a fighter like Thiago Tavares for example. He's 12 and 1. He's had some warm up fights or "fluff" as some put it. He went on to fight some better competition and was successful against some decent fighters like Marc Duncan, Naoyuki Kotani, Jason Black, then lost to Tyson Griffin. Okay, why wasn’t the entire MMA scene glorifying him as much? Because, he's not a giant monster with a beard bigger than his own head. He doesn't have a glorified felony assault background, and he doesn't talk like uneducated ghetto tard, with a 9LB gold fist hanging from his neck. But he's been around longer and accomplished a hell of a lot more than Kimbo, right? It's all about marketing, marketing, marketing. Kimbo Sells tickets to sheeple and that's the bottom line.

It's not a matter of giving Kimbo a chance. Hell, he deserves a chance. But call it like it is for Christ sake. He's not a real fighter yet because he hasn't fought any real fights. People will stop begging to see Kimbo in a contender fight when the promoters stop trying to sell Kimbo AS A CONTENDER. Until then, the scrutiny continues. I hope Kimbo fans don't feel too ripped off when any top ten heavy weight sends Kimbo packing back to "the 305" less a few gold teeth, a busted arm, and only half a loaf of bread.

12. roy

December 7, 2007 at 8:11 am

he needs to start somewhere, tank is a step up compared to his last two fights.

13. SWIFT

December 10, 2007 at 8:36 am

kimbo would knock his ass out in the 1st round. it wouldnt even be a fight, but it would be fun to see a fight without any wrestling. tank is a has been and to out of shape. unless tank lands a haymaker to his chin its not makin it to round 2

14. James

December 11, 2007 at 4:34 pm

Well said JOE…..

Marketing is exactly why he has recieved so much attention. loved the last bit and the half loaf:) but you are exactly right.

I also agree with people saying he is working his way up, although he has faught a retired boxer who is out of shape, has challenged a retired UFC fighter who hasn't won a in over a year and recently faught a "veteran" UFC fighter who is 10-11 with 0 wins against anyone with an above 50% winning record.

I think it's time Kimbo fights someone who is not retired and someone who has won more than half his fights.

Then we can see if he really is a "contender"

15. Don

December 17, 2007 at 2:05 am

I saw Tank at the NAMMA expo in Anaheim, Ca a couple of weeks ago. He has dropped most of his beer belly and looked really good. He wouldn't even drink a beer because he was training. He seemed to be looking forward to fighting Kimbo. As a fan, I look forward to the fight. I am hoping for a good old fashioned fist fight brawl.

16. kom34

December 17, 2007 at 5:08 am

If thats true then I would want to see the fight. I didn't think Tank took any type of training seriously. He always seemed to represent the tough guys and not the professional athletes. I know at least Kimbo is taking his training seriously. Hopefully Tank is too.

17. James

December 19, 2007 at 2:07 pm

I do not want to see Kimbo fight Tank. I loved Tank in the old days, but common… Tank has not won a single match in over a year. For Kimbo to even want to challenge or look forward to fighting Tank shows Kimbo's true nature. He picks on the weak, as you see in all his backyard matches. In Tank's prime I would love to see the fight, but lets face it. Those days are well gone. It's like seeing Butterbean fight again. He just doesn't have it anymore, and im disapointed to see Kimbo to challenge yet again another opponenet well passed his prime.

18. onri

December 19, 2007 at 2:22 pm

haha…..I was just looking at tanks record and he has never been in a fight that made it out of the first round. hasn't won in over a year? try almost three years since his last win. i agree with james i dont think the guy has what it takes anymore and kimbo would just wipe the floor with another bad opponent.

19. derek

December 19, 2007 at 4:10 pm

kimbo and tank is a mismatch. they might be the same weight, but tank is like 5'9. kimbo is way bigger, not to mention more muscular.

20. JOE

December 19, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Onri… You have to remember, about the first half of Abbott's career was in the old tournament style UFC. ALL wins and ALL losses ended in the "first round" because there were NO rounds. Remember? Tank has had several fights go past 5 minutes. In fact, in the beginning, Tank did very well and dominated two of the old style tournaments. He gassed (of course) and got choked out by Taktarov 17 minutes into the fight. The next tournament if you remember he lost to Don Frye only after losing his own balance. Don Fry capitalized and climbed on his back. Up until that point Tank was kicking his arse.

However, the game evolved and time took it's tole on ol' Tank. He hasn't won a fight since he knocked out Cabbage and he was on a losing streak before that. The only reason Kimbo wants to fight Tank or Gannon is marketing and easy money like i said before. It's all a big joke.

I wouldn't count Tank out in this fight, but I wouldn't expect a great show either. The sad thing is, they may market this as a headliner. Just imagine – AND FOR THE MAIN EVENT OF THE EVENING: IN THIS CORNER WE HAVE AN OLD WASHED UP FIGHTER WHO HAS DEVELOPED A 1-8 RECORD SINCE 1998. IN THIS CORNER WE HAVE AN OVER MARKETED AND OVER HYPED BACK YARD STREET BRAWLIN' SOON TO BE EXPOSED FREAK SHOW TOMATO CAN. FIGHTERS ARE YOU READY?

As MMA fans we should expect more from our sport.

21. dane drebin

December 19, 2007 at 9:27 pm

ahhaha i love all of this a lot of people have made some really good points but one thing i think we all have to remember is unlike all our favorite fighters kimbo and brock lesnar are gunna be under the microscope in their first few fights. do u think people were makin fun of chuck lidell or tito ortiz… or any of the top fighters for that matter in their first fights for who they were fighting? nobody remembers who those peole even were! maybe im wrong but atleast i dont. with big hype comes big pressure. he funny thing is brock lesnar is taking on frank mir a young former champ for his second mma fight and i think he is gunna persevere… while kimbo is takin on a grandpa who used to be good but is a famouse seasoned vet who will add a little something to kimbos resume. i have said it before and i will say it again, i dont think kimbo could win three fights n a row in the ufc. maybe someday… hes got a lot of potential that much is obvious but he aint gettin any younger and im pretty sure the dude is pretty old.

22. Joe

December 19, 2007 at 10:14 pm

He's not that old. I think he's about 33 if I remember correctly. He just looks mid 40's. Tito and Chuck were not marketed like Kimbo Slice is today. There's a difference. Tank Abbott will do nothing for his resume, neither will Gannon. Kimbo could win three fights in a row in any organization if he continues to ask for easy fights. I have Mir over Lesnar by armbar and Kimbo over Tank by TKO (after Tank throws 9 punches and gasses out).

23. Don

December 26, 2007 at 8:19 am

This is a fun conversation and I will be back here after the fight to see what everyone has to say. I would agree with most of you on Tank if I hadn't seen him myself. He is not over the hill and lost most of his beer gut. He seems to be training and taking this fight very seriously. In the day, Tank was an awesome force to watch blow through the ring. Then he got fat, drunk and slowed down missing the big paydays some of the fighters are getting today. Now I think he is serious and wants a big payday. Knocking out a media hype like Kimbo could get him a shot at a real payday. Win or lose, I think we will all be entertained with a good fight, if the promoters can ever make it happen.

24. Realwun

December 26, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Yeah, I agree that Kimbo and Brock are under the microscope. I have to respect Brock for stepping in the ring with a well known and formerly accomplished fighter. I think Brock has that much confidence in himself that he wants to be put against a measuring stick right from the start. Kimbo is taking the slow way up and taking on tough guys but nowhere near the level of the MMA fighter of today. I'm looking foward to both guys hype or not, they seem to be entertaining.