EliteXC president Gary Shaw held a telephone press conference Wednesday to promote EliteXC 3 Renegade. Shaw addressed issues about Kimbo’s next opponent and the future of EliteXC. Here are some key points I found interesting in the audio of the press conference.
EliteXC press conference key points
- Kimbo Slice will be fighting Bo Cantrell on November 10, after Mike Bourke was forced out due to injury. Bo Cantrell (10-10) lost last Saturday at KOTC to Brad Imes by Gogoplata submission.
- EliteXC will change its weight divisions to 140 lbs., 150 lbs., 160 lbs., 170 lbs., 185 lbs., 205 lbs., 265 lbs., to increase fighter safety. Shaw stated that he will be meeting with Athletic Commissions to make the weight divisions universally recognized.
- Shaw, would like to sign Fedor Emilianenko and Randy Couture, but would never get involved with any fighter under contract.
- Shaw confirmed, The fight between Mike Pyle and Jake Shields will not be a title fight. Pyle is not happy with his situation at EliteXC and will leave to be a free agent after his fight on November 10.
- Antonio Silva is still trying to get medically cleared for his fight.
- EliteXC is definitely interested in signing Josh Barnett.