Evan Tanner: “I’m Done, I’m Retiring”

Updated: June 25, 2008
evan tanner retiring

evan tanner retiring

UFC middleweight veteran Evan Tanner, contiplates retiring on his latest blog entry on SpikeTV. Tanner is coming off a hard fought loss to Kendall Grove at the TUF 7 Finale.

Losing sucks. It’s been pretty tough the last couple of days. I’ve been keeping to myself. I haven’t felt like talking with anyone. I haven’t seen anything about the fight. I know I looked really bad. I don’t need to see it, or hear about it to know that. I’ve been having some serious health problems for a while now. They’ve caused me some problems in my daily life and have seriously affected my training. I obviously haven’t been the same guy in the ring.

I’m going to be taking a little time off to see a doctor. If we can’t get this health issue figured out, I’m done, I’m retiring. I don’t want to step back into the Octagon unless I’m 100%, and I can give the fans the type of fight they deserve to see.

I don’t see it coming to that though. Tomorrow I’m hopping on the bike, and riding up to Oregon to visit the good doctor. I’ve got a good feeling about things

1. Mauibuilt

June 25, 2008 at 3:30 am

I love how they take the the whole story then ignore everything but "I'm done, I'm retiring".. He says he will if he cant clear up his health issues.. he still wants to fight.

2. jbraytown

June 25, 2008 at 3:38 am

Evan is a hell of a fighter, I hope he can get his health issues resolved and gets back in the octogon.

3. roy

June 25, 2008 at 3:44 am

best of luck to him what ever he decides to do.

June 25, 2008 at 3:48 am

damn that sucks

5. Oswald Gobblecock

June 25, 2008 at 7:35 am

Well he doesn't have too many years left in top level competition anyway. Retire, enjoy yourself.

6. richaaron

June 25, 2008 at 10:47 am

Going to "Oregon" for a good doctor…?

7. Onri

June 25, 2008 at 11:00 am

I bet he'll show up in a smaller promotion somewhere. As long as he can convince himself that he wasn't 100 percent then he'll want to get in the ring again.

8. steve

July 11, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Does he really have a choice? LMAO the guy is as 1 dimensional as they come and its not 1999 anymore so better luck with w/e u decide to do now Evan.lol

9. dane drebin

July 11, 2008 at 6:16 pm

tanner seems like a strange dude but i respect the hell out of him and i would love to see him fight again. i thought him and grove had a pretty competitive fight and i think tanner won the last round.