Evan Tanner’s Biggest Fight Could be The Desert

Updated: August 18, 2008
evan-tanner-adventure

After dropping two strait in his UFC comeback and fighting a longtime battle with alcohol, Evan Tanner set’s off on a new great adventure deep into the southern California desert to seek what he calls is “Treasure”. Tanners blog post on SpikeTV details his preparation for his latest wild adventure, including retrofitting his Kawasaki KLR for the trip.

I’m hoping that very soon I’ll be sitting out in the quiet of the desert beneath a deep blue midnight sky, listening to the calm desert breeze. The idea going into the desert came to me soon after I moved to Oceanside. It was motivated by my friend Sara’s talk of treasure hunting and lost gold, and my own insatiable appetite for adventure and exploration. I began to imagine what might be found in the deep reaches of the untracked desert. It became an obsession of sorts.

“Treasure” doesn’t necessarily refer to something material.

Being a minimalist by nature, wanting to carry only the essentials, and being extremely particular, it has been a little difficult to find just the right equipment. I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life.

1. Ryan S

August 18, 2008 at 6:17 am

I have wanted to do this for the past couple years. Except not in the desert

2. lucky

August 18, 2008 at 7:00 am

hopefully he does better in the desert than in the ring!

3. kom34

August 18, 2008 at 7:46 am

not my idea of a getaway but whatever works i guess.

4. billybob

September 8, 2008 at 12:57 pm

didnt he die in the desert?

5. ron shaw

September 8, 2008 at 1:42 pm

he did die. thats some terrible news.

6. Keanu "Ballisti

September 8, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Much love Evan, Rest in peace.

I hope that i'll be able to be even half the fighter you were one day!

– Keanu

7. Raquel Pascua

September 9, 2008 at 2:12 am

My God,what a shock!He will be missed,I understand living life in the moment of beauty,wanting to experience as much as life allows,I’m sorry for his death,I don’t belive he wanted to die,he just didn’t believe it would really happend.Sorry to his FAMILY AND Every1 who loved EVEN TANNER.Rest in PEACE Evan, love ur fan,Raql

8. Mike

September 9, 2008 at 7:24 am

It's sad for anyone to lose their life but I must admit this guy always appeared down to earth and professional in his wins and/or losses. I pray for his family and friends and hope them all well.