Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski Slated For Oct. 11 Affliction Show

Updated: July 23, 2008
fedor a free agent

According to Yahoo Sports, top heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko will face former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski, Oct 11 from the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, NV.

Slated to take place just a stones trough away from UFC headquarters at the UNLV campus, Affliction will make its move on what has been traditionally UFC territory.

This dream match will look to keep the ball rolling for Affliction as it takes another step towards legitimacy.

Thomas & Mack Arena director Daren Libonati:

“We’re really excited to have Affliction in the building and particularly to have Fedor and all those other great names…That’s what we were working toward in those two (PRIDE) shows we did back then, but it never worked out. We always want to bring big events here, and any time you have Fedor in your building you have a big event.”

1. Nicks

July 23, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Oh hell yeah!!!

Big Tim came out scared IMO and Fedor smelled that fear.

Arlovski won't be scared and I don't see Fedor knocking him out.

Fedor will be looking to get this to the ground asap and get that submission.

This looks better then Randy vs Fedor no disrespect to the natural.

2. Kash

July 23, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Oh man that is going to be a great fight. I thought Arlovski was going into boxing. Good to see he is liking MMA more now that he isn't in the UFC anymore.

3. kom34

July 23, 2008 at 1:20 pm

all i can say is thank you affliction.

4. steve

July 23, 2008 at 7:10 pm

yeah well arlovski has a weak chin when hit right. Fedor will be able to take this on the feet for sure but wherever fedor wants it is where it will be and where it will end. rlovki is great b/c of how quick and powerful he is as a HW you dont see many with as much athleticism as arlovski. Besides Fedor. But just like he showed with tim you have to move and stick with fedor but arlovski couldnt do it with Tim so he damn sure aint gonna be able to beat Fedor. Who has the most underrated stand up in all of mma. People thought fedor would have to take the Sylvia fight to the ground but as i said tim cant handle it. And neither can arlovski.

5. Nicks

July 23, 2008 at 8:40 pm

You sound like you know it all steve.

Arlovski has a "weak chin when hit right" ROFL no really. Same Logic says Fedor when hit right has a weak chin too…..genius I wonder why no one ever said that before oh yeah cause it sounds to fucking stupid.

Fedor is a awesome fighter all around but he doesn't have better striking them Arlovski. Fedor "might" test the striking for a short while and why not until he feels like hes in trouble then take it down.

Arlovski has real KO power where Tim isn't known for KOing anyone lately. So Fedor being smart will not look to trade with Arlovski for to long.

Fedor didn't KO Tim Sylvia or Hung Man Choi he won both those by submission. Yes Fedor is great but he doesn't KO everyone sorry.

6. Thomas

July 23, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Well if we see the Andrei that won the belt, instead of the one who fought Werdum, he will at least give Fedor a run for his money. The person who needs to move to boxing is Silvia – no submissions allowed. Or K1.

7. krage

July 23, 2008 at 11:09 pm

this fight will turn into a great Sambo match

8. bjj26

July 23, 2008 at 11:20 pm

This is gona be a great fight. Both have good strikes quick movements and both have good ground skills and submissions. The only area I would give arvolski definitely is the leg kicks but this fight will be one for the books.

9. Nate Fury

July 24, 2008 at 12:13 am

I like this fight better than Fedor vs. Sy;via. Arlovski will last much longer than big Tim. I don't see Arlovski winning though. Fedor will dominate and win by the second round.

10. STEVEO

July 24, 2008 at 12:22 am

to me this fight is all about speed, two of if not the two quickest heavys in the world. Both have good hands and I don't think either will go in with any form of fear. However Arlovski has a tendency to fight timidly sometimes, like when he lost to Tim in the most boring fight ever. If arlovski comes out and pushes the action he will fair much better than letting fedor stalk him.

11. roy

July 24, 2008 at 1:42 am

i like aa but i don't think he should have took this fight yet, he looked great in his last fight and should have fought one more before taking on fedor and getting another loss.affliction is awsome next should be barnett and that will be great.as good as aa is fedor is better and is even faster.

12. steve

July 24, 2008 at 6:00 am

Nicks you are a idiot. Fedor has been hit by some of the biggest and most powerful HW out there and has never been KO'd or TKO'd. I have only seen him actually stuned once by Fujita and that is it. He has been hit on the button but he has been able to take the punch. Andre hasnt always been able to take the punch. He has been completly knocked the fuck out. So there is a big difference and that is why I think Ferdor will whip his ass just like he does everyone else. Now does does that sound stupid bitch?

13. steve

July 24, 2008 at 6:08 am

And u say tim isnt known for KOing anyone lately? lmao he didnt lose his KO power he just hasnt connected. That has nothing to do with power but connecting. Just b/c you dont finish a fight standing doesnt mean u didnt win the stand up nicks. U said Fedor didnt win the fight standing well how the fuck can u fiunish standing when ur opponent falls to the canvas. LMAO. Did u even watchj the fight u stupid fuck. What did u want fedor to not jump on him and finish him while he was hurt let him get up and KO him when he gets up? Thats makes no sense and your a fucking moron. Tim traded with Arlvoski a lot and guess what he won 2 out of 3. Fedor's hands are the fastest HW hands out there and u will see just like with Sylvia. It probally wont be as quick cuz Arlovski will try and stick and move and come at angles but it wont work.

14. ELBOWZ

July 24, 2008 at 6:26 am

WTF…… this page is for posts and fan insite on their fav fighters and what they think should happen or should've happened….. these are peoples opinions, not fact!!!!

steve, you seem to get all worked up and red in the face when someone doesn't agree with you, chill out!!!

let people have mature discussions about MMA.

quit calling people morons, idiots and, bitches.

It just show's that your not educated.

15. Nicks

July 24, 2008 at 8:09 am

Yes you still sound fucking stupid steve.

Fedor beat Sylvia the same way Arlovski did. He rocked him standing and submitted the big guy once hes down.

Straight from Wiki: Fedor Emelianenko, WAMMA,

Affliction: Banned, Submission (rear naked choke) Round 1, 0:36 For the WAMMA Heavyweight title.

So watch the fight again and look at the move that actual won the fight you ignornant fool.

Did I ever say Fedor didn't win the stand-up no I said he didn't KO Tim Sylvia which is a fact.

The rest of your ramblings aren't even worth responding too.

16. Ryan S

July 24, 2008 at 10:03 am

My god. I still think Tim is ridiculous and that fight length did not really surprise me. Arlovski will put on a better fight, and come on, everyone get get "knocked the fuck out" when they get "hit in the chin right." Basically, everyone has a "right spot" on their chin. Guaranteed. STEVE, I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, because you probably do, but sometimes you just say some wierd shit, then defend it like you're defending your mom's honor. Calm down. You're like that one friend that most people know is smart, but sometimes your wording just isn't high school material. And both of you, there's no point in getting worked up and calling eachother names. It's not gonna get you anywhere, just make your opinion sound uncredable….GO FEDOR!

17. derek

July 24, 2008 at 12:06 pm

this will be a great fight. affliction needs to push that october 11 date up to september. shit, i can't wait that long. AA hasn't been consistent with performances. he can be either really explosive or really laid back. fedor, as we know, doesn't bullshit around in the ring. he goes in there to expose people. i wanted to see big tim get exposed for the longest time, and thank you fedor. i still want to see fedor-randy, not because it's the best matchup, but because it's been hyped for so long. randy, however, has been inactive for a LONG time however. and he is about to hit 50 sooner or later. and then, nobody wants to see that.

18. kom34

July 24, 2008 at 3:59 pm

yeah pushing it up to september would be great. i don't think fedor spends too much time planning strategy anyway. he just goes in there to finish you as soon as possible. then there's rumor to be tito ortiz fighting babalu. this event is going to be just as stacked.

19. steve

July 24, 2008 at 9:09 pm

yes i might get defensive and defend what i say maybe a little more then i should but thats just the person i am. I mean no disrespect to anyone who doesnt disrespect me by making fun of what I say i get pissed off. Dont make fun of what I say or mock me when all u got to say i that u disagree. Now this is a fact, when u get hit on the button if that punch kick knee w/e the strike may be if it lacks power you will not get knocked out. Just look at boxing for example they hit eachother on the chin flush a lot. U rarely ever see a 1 punch knockout. I think that fedors chin is too strong for Arlovski to really hurt fedor. Maybe after a bunch of punishment like rothwell took then he will be able to hurt him but Arlovski on the other hand has been cold out by 1 punch on more then 1 occasion. So there is a point to be made when I say Arlovski cant take a punch like fedor's when hit right. So Nicks plz stop trying to convince yourself that you dont understand my point. Give me a break. Arlovksi has a questionable chin or wait you probally dont even know he has been knocked out before and thats why you got on me. Well whether you knew or not you know now.

20. steve

July 25, 2008 at 6:15 am

Knees i mean "ELBOWZ" you can't base how educated I am by one statement. And saying fuck you or bitch or whatever I may say doesnt make me more or less intelligent than you or anyone else. It is a choice you get to make when you become an adult. Your mom will let you curse once you hit puberty and stop worrying about what I say. Comment on my statments not the attitude or words I choose. If I didnt write anything for you to critisize then you wouldnt even have anything to say. Just state your opinion and move on. Everyone is always adding there 2 cents in on me and not my comments I make. It is like me against everyone who can only agree with others and cant think for themselves. Key point dont rely on what somebody else says and follow suit just b/c you dont know what your talking about or accuse me of being stupid b/c of a post I made. I find it rahter pathetic.

21. roy

July 25, 2008 at 6:39 am

elbows was pretty light on you steve and what he said was true, i got nothing against you but we don't have moderation here we don't get edited or have to wait to see or post and nobody wants that, so like he said no need to take things personal and start cussing or saying your going to kick peoples ass or insult people just keep it to mma not everone is going to agree with you it cool to have a heated discussion but no need to take it to far.

22. Ryan S

July 25, 2008 at 6:58 am

I dont know, steve, I know Fedor is great all around, and I do like both of them. I just think that Arlovski still has a little more chance than most people are giving him. Being knocked in the head and chin helps a lot of fighters too. I do think that Arlovski has knockout power as well. In the first Sylvia vs. Arlovski fight, correct me if I'm wrong because it was a while ago, didn't it go pretty similar to the fedor and sylvia fight, just a little longer? I don't know, I like them both, and I do believe that Fedor will win, I'm just saying definately do not take Arlovski lightly

23. Nicks

July 25, 2008 at 8:00 am

Oh steve I'm sure you'll catch on someday.

People pick on you because you say stupid shit like "dude got a weak chin when hit right". Sorry thats stupid no matter what you say to try and back it up.

Then you go on and on about how you know more about MMA then just about everyone else here which makes you seem like a even bigger A-hole.

From Steve:

"So Nicks plz stop trying to convince yourself that you dont understand my point. Give me a break. Arlovksi has a questionable chin or wait you probally dont even know he has been knocked out before and thats why you got on me. Well whether you knew or not you know now."

See That right there makes you sound like a dumb mofo.

Keep assuming you know everything about everyone steve it only makes me laugh harder.

24. ELBOWZ

July 27, 2008 at 10:38 pm

All i'm saying steve, is that you can get your point across without being insulting. you make some good points dude, and you seem to know your stuff when it comes to MMA. Let's try to keep it positive!! fighting is something we all have a passion for.

25. STEVEO

July 27, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Agreed

26. imps4343

August 1, 2008 at 4:22 pm

AA largest disadvantage is on the ground, BR was doing ok until he got tired. I think AA will move and angle better then TS or RC and does have one-punch power, however, so does fedor. THis is going to be great. ALso, dont forget AA kicking ABL, that did more damage to BR then most people think