Fedor Fighting New Years Eve, In Japan

Updated: November 20, 2007

hong man choi vs. brock lesnar

According to Greg Savage on the Sherdog Show, PRIDE FC Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emilianenko will be fighting News Years Eve against the Korean Giant Hong Man Choi. Savage let it slip that his source of the news is none other then M-1 Global CEO Monty Cox.

While M-1 will be co-promoting the event, they are basically getting paid to let Fedor fight for another promotion.

Choi (1-0) will have a 120lb weight advantage over the former PRIDE champion, but with only one MMA fight under his belt, this fight is a complete joke.

Choi was scheduled to fight Brock Lesnar at K-1 Hero’s Dynamite show in June, but he was forced to withdraw after the CSAC would not grant him a licence to fight, due to medical reasons.

M-1 will be holding a press conference on Wednesday, to announce the fight and fill in the details.

1. Corey

November 20, 2007 at 5:26 am

I hope Choi gets past his physical this time becasue I would love to see Fedor fight on New Years Eve.

2. Morey

November 20, 2007 at 8:24 am

New Years is a spectacle itself so I guess thats why they set up this fight. Who better for Fedor to destroy than a 7 foot MMA newbie.

3. Realwun

November 20, 2007 at 9:08 am

I wish they could have put on a better match for Fedor. Choi doesn't care about the sport, he's making his money as a freak show. First he tried to cash in on Lesnar and now its Fedor. I don't think I would pay for this unless they put some good fights on the card.

4. steve

November 20, 2007 at 9:49 am

I think this will be cool to see. Fedor is gonna win but I still think that it will be interesting to see how he handles the giant.

5. Realwun

November 20, 2007 at 10:20 am

I think it will look a lot like the last monster he destroyed…Zulu.

6. Dan

November 20, 2007 at 5:27 pm

choi can eat a punch, so fedor by sub (rear naked)

7. Joe

November 20, 2007 at 5:45 pm

I think it's kind of sad. I don't want to watch a fight being 99% sure Fedor is going to win, and just be curious as to how he'll dispatch his opponent. Oh well, if it's free I'll watch it.

8. Morey

November 21, 2007 at 12:15 am

I wonder if they are going to bring back the Pride spectacle to the show. No doubt, if its free I'll be watching too.

9. Mike Rabine

November 21, 2007 at 9:41 am

Fedors going to rip the guy apart!

10. Realwun

November 21, 2007 at 3:33 pm

This might be a good show, its going to be in the Saitama Super Arena in Japan and run by former Pride Staff. They are trying to get Aoki, Sakuri, Hansen, and a bunch of top free agents to fight in it.

11. PhdDoctor

December 26, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Choi is no newbie, he has beaten several top fighters including Bob Sapp, Sammy Shilts of something from Holland as well as Gary Goodwrench, I think the fight will be a very good one, better than most UFC fights