Fedor Goes Into Politics, Possible MMA Retirement

Updated: June 4, 2010

Fedor Emelianenko might be retiring sooner then we expected. According to a official press release, Fedor is a candidate for a senate seat under the “United Russia” party.

Now the accompanied rumor is that after Fedor fulfills the last two fights in his Strikeforce contract, he will retire from MMA. [MiddleEasy]

Its not a surprise that Fedor and his cronies he surrounds himself with would make a move to politics. He’s a national sports hero and has a huge following in Russia.

If the rumor is true, Fedor will likely finish his career in Strikeforce against Werdum, then possibly Overeem.

1. big gibby

June 4, 2010 at 2:13 am

i just kinda figured that fedor and his cronies would pull a stunt like this. M1 global doesnt want him in the ufc because they know fedor would get smashed by the top heavyweights in the division. Fedor has no say in the matter as m1 is basically the russian mafia. He has no say in anything folks!

2. CobraClutch

June 4, 2010 at 3:49 am

Fedor is no longer in my Top 5 list…maybe Dana was right about "Current Top 10 P4P"…but ALL TIME P4P? Well, that's a different thing when you look at the man's career.

But this is just silly. Before he leaves, he should set up one huge pay day vs. the UFC Heavyweight Champion at the time. Then ride off into the sunset either the best heavyweight in the sport, or someone who never realized his full potential and couldn't compete with the big boys. Put your skills and legacy to the test and step up!

3. Hall

June 4, 2010 at 4:14 am

big gibby. Thats your oppion! Me personaly,I don't see any body in the UFC thats even close to Fedors skills. I would have loved to see Fedor beat Brock but it looks like its never going to happen. If it did it would be a fast fight,Brock just is'nt smart as Fedor.I hope Fedor hangs in there long enough to beat the shit out of steroid freak Overeem,before he leaves. Then maybe Dana can sign Overeem to come over to the UFC and beat the shit out of Brock,after Brock gets his ass wooped by CARWIN! I SEE THE FUTURE, CARWIN KO's BROCK! OVEREEM KO's BROCK!

4. Muay Thai

June 4, 2010 at 4:54 am

Wow…Finally Fedor will be gone from MMA so we don't have to talk about this dude anymore. The dude hasn't fought anyone in 5 years and he's still in the CURRENT rankings. This dudes is a joke for not taking up the challenges he could have in his career. There well always be a question mark above this dudes head. I mean you look at GSP and anyone smart says yea he's best in the word at his weight class. Or even Silva everyone knows he's the best in his weight class even if he's been a doucher lately. Fedor is a different story. Not all people agree on him. I dont think he should be top 5 ranked personally. However you have these dipshit anti-UFC people like HALL who are retarted. I would love to see Fedor fight some top competition. I would like him to fight Overeem but even Overeem said in an interview that he wants the Fedor fight but M1 wont agree to it. Fedor is M1 so if he really wanted the fight he would go after it. If he really wanted the Brock fight he would quit M1 and go to the UFC and make even more money fighting top guys. The dude is ducking people and I can't wait for him to get out of MMA so we can forget about him and start focusing on fighters who are hungry to fight the top guys.

5. corey

June 4, 2010 at 5:24 am

it makes sense to me. if he doesn't really want to make the ufc thing happen then it's just fight every now and again for strikeforce. i'm sure he doesn't care too much about being the strikeforce champion. but i'd like to see him fight overeem before he retires.

6. tico

June 4, 2010 at 5:51 am

what a huge disappointment..I am so pissed off

7. squid in the lid

June 4, 2010 at 5:56 am

WHAT A PUNK!

COME ON! He won't even take a shot at the big league?

PATHETIC!!!!!!!!

Cage Today needs to update there P4P Rankings…

8. Oswald Gobblecock

June 4, 2010 at 6:19 am

Fucking figures. This doesn't surprise me at all. Anyone that says Fedor is the best is dumb and a fucking nut hugger. WTF has he done lately? He was never the P4P best. People who say that don't even know what P4P means. You have to clean out top guys from your division which he hasn't even fought a top 5 guy in years. Some top 10 rankings were retarded for putting AA and Tim as #2 just cause they were fight Fedor. They weren't top 5 and barely if at all top 10.

9. Oswald Gobblecock

June 4, 2010 at 6:19 am

He's worse than Gayweather IMO cause he only ducks 1 guy.

10. E-ROCK

June 4, 2010 at 6:35 am

PUSSY

11. Oswald Gobblecock

June 4, 2010 at 6:49 am

/ LoL Short but sweet. The thing that will annoy people the most are the brain wasted Fedor fans that claim he was the best and would have beaten everybody in the UFC anyways cause you know there's alot of them morons running around.

12. Trevor

June 4, 2010 at 9:23 am

Incredibly disappointing.

13. dave

June 4, 2010 at 9:36 am

Yeah, that is the worst MMA news I've heard since Cro Cop joined UFC and seemed to loose his skill and spirit. I suppose the former Cyborg no longer has the heart for competition. It's perhaps the biggest loss for MMA fans in the sports history.

14. BJJ Brown Belt

June 4, 2010 at 10:35 am

Everyone that is upset that he did not sign with the UFC is not keeping in mind that while to us, this is entertainment, to the porfessional fighters, this is their job and livelihood. As a fan, I wish I could have seen Fedor VS. Brock and even going back to when Afflication first got started and Randy was king of the UFC, Randy VS Fedor…but these guys have to make business decisions. Regardless of what the truth behind M-1 is (the conspiracy theory is that they are Russian mobsters), they wanted to sign with the UFC but on their terms and the UFC did not want to consider the terms. I don't blame the UFC because they have pretty much built MMA in the U.S. but you also can't blame Fedor and M-1 Global for looking out for their best interest. Unfortunately as fans, the business aspect cheated us from seeing these fights but we should not hate everyone involved for making business decisions. Evryone has to look out for their best interests.

CobraClutch- as far as one fight deal with the UFC for a big payoff at the end, the UFC would not agree to that because the last time they were in negotiations, the UFC wanted him for 5 fights.

I am a Fedor fan but do feel cheated…I just hope that everyone is able to look at this objectively and see that this was a business decision.

15. CobraClutch

June 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

Fedor is no longer in my Top 5 list…maybe Dana was right about “Current Top 10 P4P”…but ALL TIME P4P? Well, that’s a different thing when you look at the man’s career.

But this is just silly. Before he leaves, he should set up one huge pay day vs. the UFC Heavyweight Champion at the time. Then ride off into the sunset either the best heavyweight in the sport, or someone who never realized his full potential and couldn’t compete with the big boys. Put your skills and legacy to the test and step up!

16. Mac

June 4, 2010 at 10:53 am

It sounds a bit like a rumor, and most rumors are baloney. Fedor is still within his prime athletic years. I believe there will be bouts in the future beyond StrikeForce.

Single fight deals could be a part of it, if the money is right.

17. WHODINI

June 4, 2010 at 10:58 am

after he retires and leaves…. the only thing he leaves is a record … you know how other league fighters have made the transition from them to the ufc .. why should he ? like the ufc is the only game in town that matters ?

18. CobraClutch

June 4, 2010 at 11:12 am

Yeah, I know they don't want that….but a man can dream, can't he? hahaha.

19. Muay Thai

June 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Ahh Whodini the UFC is at the moment the only game in town that matters. What other company has anything else to offer beside WEC. Strikeforce has some good fighters but those good fighers are all in different weight classes and have nobody to go against. Jake Shields needs to come to the UFC and get away from strikeforce. Even though he lost I'm still a big fan of gegard mousasi if he gets his shit together and fights his fight. Dan Henderson I will always think can beat anyone in the mma world if he fights to his potential. Other than that Strikeforce doesn't have much else. Sure they have some talent. I mean King Mo sucks…Milendez would do decent in the UFC but isn't as good as BJ or Florian….Diaz sucks and just because he beat some nobodies doesn't mean he's good…..and I would say Overeem is at best a good figher…not a great one. He looked amazing against Rodgers but then again Rodgers sucks.

20. Timmie

June 4, 2010 at 12:40 pm

UFC is the only game in town that anyone takes seriously…like it or not.

I's the NFL, sure there were other leagues (Arena, USFL, Canadien, XFL) and some of those leauges had great talent, but nobody cared about them and none lasted too long.

I hope Fedor has plans to join the UFC even if just for a year, just to cash in. I remember him being fearless and dominant in PRIDE and I hope that bravery still has some breath left…

21. CobraDork

June 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Your a man? I always figured from the happy faces and girl lingo (LOL and other stupid chick shit) that you were a chick. My bad.

22. oz

June 4, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I remember when Fedor toyed with Lindland, he made one of the worlds best look like a scared kid.

I agree with Mac. I think he will continue to fight.

My two cents

23. corey

June 4, 2010 at 3:36 pm

i wouldn't ever call fedor a pussy. at the time when he was at his prime he was fighting the best heavyweights in the world and winning. at one time he was undoubtedly the best most well rounded heavyweight. now the game evolved and we've got some physical freaks like brock and carwin, no telling if he would do well or get dominated. i wish we would find out but that won't happen.

since it doesn't seem like he wants to fight in the ufc i don't really care that he's retiring. it doesn't take anything away form his legacy in my opinion.

24. Oswald Gobblecock

June 4, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Him never fighting in the UFC definitely hurts his legacy. If you watch shows like Inside MMA and MMA Weekly they have discussed this many times with fighters themselves and I totally agree. He still has a legacy but it's just not as good as it could have been.

25. Ken

June 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm

If he never fights in the UFC and never fights the top guys at his weight he does not deserve his ranking and he will make it obvious that he is ducking the top fighters in the world

26. Sean

June 4, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I agree with Ken fight the top fighters and claim your spot or keep beating guys who are up and comers and never reach your potential

27. Ken

June 5, 2010 at 1:30 am

I agree with Sean, if one does not fight the best competition, one cannot be considered the best.

28. Sean

June 5, 2010 at 1:31 am

I agree with both of my log in names

29. Rampage

June 5, 2010 at 1:34 am

Mutherfuka jus duckin me yo!

Know whad I'm sayin?

Word!

Yo yo!

What up Gee?

Peace!

(more dumb slang)

Know what I'm saying?

Rashad owns my ass

30. Ross

June 5, 2010 at 2:08 am

Great fighter but when he's older i really think he'll look back at his career and regret not going to the UFC. Fedor is a top class fighter but he should be fighting the best heavyweights all the time and to do that he should have went to the UFC instead of strikeforce.

31. AFFRAIDOR MILLIONERK

June 5, 2010 at 3:47 am

Fedor is, and has been for at least half a decade, like some legendary apex predator who has been captured and placed in a zoo where he has been hand fed fat meals and has now lost what made him dangerous. no hunger and when the likes of brett rogers have you in trouble, on the ground, ten seconds longer and that match is over…you can NOT think he would now last against the top in ufc hw's…lhw…maybe…it would be cool to see…but the old king is dead of at least fat from lack of hunting and knocking on death's door loudly.

32. CobraClutch

June 5, 2010 at 5:32 am

:) Use your real name, if you wanna talk shit for no reason, "dork." That's all I really need to say to address that loser. hahaha. :)

33. Dave

June 5, 2010 at 7:42 am

It's comments like these why I don't bother posting much on here any more. MMA weekly had it right when they said that 80% of MMA fans are UFC only guys. It's clear to see when you read the ignorance on this sight. You guys are hilarious that you rip on Fedor and say that he hasn't fought anyone or hasn't done anything lately – but you quickly will say that Brock Lesnar, who is 4-1 and hasn't fought in over a year is the best. What a shame that Dana's ego cost us a shot at seeing the best fighter in history shut the former aerobics instructor up by wiping out his marketing tool….er uh…heavyweight champ.

34. Muay Thai

June 5, 2010 at 8:03 am

Dave I think you got it all wrong. Brock may be 4-1 but this is a guy who trains like crazy. He wants to fight the top guys. He wants to be the number 1 heavyweight in the world. You got a huge guy like Shane Carwin with KO power in both hands who's a big threat to Brock and you have Brock wanting to fight him. Dont get me wrong I think Brocks antics make him a meat head but the fact is he wants to be number 1 and he will fight anyone he can until he is number 1. Then we have Fedor. No desire to be number 1 guy. He's been jumping around from shitty organization to shitty organization. I shouldn't say Strikeforce is a shitty organization because I watch and enjoy it but the talent isn't there for him to fight. He has no desire to fight the top guys in the division. If he did he would be in the UFC making more money than he is now. As far a Dana is concerned I think he is speaking the truth when he talks about Fedor. All Dana ever says is that Fedor isn't number one and if people think he is why doesn't he prove it against elite heavyweight fighters. So in my opinion Brock is the number 1 guys in the heavyweight division. He hasn't fought in a year but that was because of a illness that probably took a lot of cardio out of the guy and he to train and battle back. I don't see how Fedor can be number 1 guy in the division based on how he fought 5 years ago. The MMA fighters constantly change and people have to keep testing themselves against continuously evolving fighters and thats something Fedor isn't doing

35. Dave

June 5, 2010 at 8:20 am

Muay Thai,

One of the things you guys have all wrong is that fact that you think that Fedor doesn't WANT to fight in the UFC. That is ridiculous. He has tried but Dana wouldn't sign him unless he quit fighting in a Sambo tournament once a year. That is literally all it is. As far as comparing Fedor with the UFC heavyweights, just listen to any comments that GSP, Randy Couture and other of Dana's own guys have made about him being the P4P best of all time.

The main mindset that screws up this sport is one that you will read on this very same message board. Guys think that the UFC is the NFL of football??? The commsioner of the NFL doesn't sign players. It is done by a huge amount of scouts who travel everywhere to find talent while representing their own different teams. The only gateway to the UFC is Dana White, period. He is a former aerobics instructor who is doing his best to monopolize a sport that he has never competed in. If he can't sign you, or doesn't see you fight, then you won't fight in his promotion.

Do you know how many fighters there are in the world who will never fight in front of Dana White or have a resonable chance to sign because they have it better somewhere else? There are a million different reason why some of the greatest fighters won't fight for Dana White but they wont get the credit because of this ridiculous miconception that the UFC is the only legitmate promotion in the world. It defies all common sense but as a real MMA fan, you just have to get used to it. Most MMA fans have no clue about fighters unless they see them on Spike. Pretty sad.

36. CobraClutch

June 5, 2010 at 8:53 am

Dave, you're making an assumption that everyone on this site feels that Brock is the "best." That's not nearly the case. You obviously know your stuff, and are a "real" MMA fan. I'm not questioning that, just your scope and attitude seems to me misdirected.

Coming here and posting with what can be perceived as an elitist attitude "read the ignorance on this sight" (interesting and funny to me, by the way, that you berate what you call ignorance, yet you can't spell "site.")…and your last paragraph is presumptuous and downright insulting to everyone posting on this site. Maybe you should read more of these posts and realize there already has been a Fedor vs The World and UFC vs. All Other MMA debate going on for quite some time.

Here's my take on your points:

– Of course Fedor, and his team, wants to fight anywhere they can make the most money, get the best deal for themselves, and set themselves up for as long-term business growth and profitability as possible.

– Of course Dana wants Fedor in the UFC for a few reasons. Mainly, because it will settle the P4P debate, it will further show the UFC as "the best organization where the best fighters compete" as their marketing efforts try to make us believe. However, Dana also needs to make not only the best deal for the UFC, but also every deal he signs sets up precedents for future signings. This is a much bigger deal for Dana to get exactly what he wants with losing as little business strategy ground as possible.

– Both sides are looking at bigger pictures and long-term growth and profits. Therefore, we have the stalemate we have and the first one to blink will be the one who NEEDS the other to realize their long-term and profit goals. The UFC right now doesn't need Fedor as much as Fedor needs the UFC.

– When people say the UFC is the "NFL of MMA" they obviously don't mean in structure of the organization. They're talking about in skill, awareness, and popularity. Like the organization or not, the UFC very much so IS the NFL, NBA, and MLB of the MMA world. No other organization is a globally popular, no other organization pulls the PPV numbers that the UFC does, and no other organization is more synonymous with "Mixed Martial Arts" than the UFC. You might be one of the bigger and more well-versed MMA fans, but you have to take a step back to see the whole picture here. When I talk to the average non-MMA fan on the street they don't know what Strikeforce, Bellator, or even "MMA" is…but…they know the UFC.

– Does this mean that only UFC fighters are the best and all other organizations are just farm teams? No, of course now. The UFC certainly doesn't have the best of the best, but it has most of the best. Mousasi, Mo, Overeem, Fedor, Shields, Hendo (now), Aoki, and many others are great fighters but don't fight in the UFC.

It helps to make your points without being confrontational, insulting, or condescending. But this site is well-known for people insulting others behind their computers, so do whatever you want to do. I am not going to tell you how to live your live. Just friendly advice to open up constructive DEBATES more so than heated ARGUMENTS.

37. CobraClutch

June 5, 2010 at 8:53 am

Wow. Sorry for the long post. I didn't realize until I clicked "comment" that it was so big. (That's what SHE said!)

38. Miko

June 5, 2010 at 9:20 am

"Dana wouldn’t sign him unless he quit fighting in a Sambo tournament once a year. That is literally all it is."

No, no it isn't.

39. kc-mma

June 5, 2010 at 9:45 am

Wow, CobraClutch I couldn't have said it any better.

40. Rampage

June 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

Well said Miko, my ninja.

Dave is just another Dana/UFC hater, they cry on these boards all the time.

Dave actually blames Dana White for Fedor not being in the UFC, after they offered him a record breaking short contract.

And for the rest of you girlies, if Message Boards are to "mean" for you cause posters post argumentative comments or rip on eachother then may be sports ites are not your thing, cause they are all like this. So either tuck up your panties or just man the fuck up.

You know what I'm saying?

41. CobraDork

June 5, 2010 at 10:40 am

This is my real name Clutch, in fact it's not even a weak poster name, it happens to be my actual name, which is CobraDork Johnson. I live in the Los Angeles area here in sunny California, I enjoy training, hanging out with my friends and spending quality time with a VERY pretty lady, who isn't my Mom.

I'd follow up my comments with a laugh or a smiley face but I can't since I don't have a vagina.

42. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO

June 5, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Dave…I've often agreed w/ many of your posts, but I can NOT believe you BELIEVE Fedor has done anything impressive over the last 5 years…When has he shown that hunger he used to have?! He had everything he wanted to fight in the UFc and let M-1 co-sponsorship be what broke it all off…Believe me…if Affraidor wanted to be in the UFC he WOULD BE. He is the only thing M-1 has and they would have to listen to him…plus…how can you believe he wouldn't stand to make literally Millions more from One ufc ppv than in all the fights Strikeforce will feature him in combined….At one time, Fedor WAS the King, no doubt…but every old Lion has to hand over the crown eventually. It seems that however reluctant he is to do so…Fedor is closer to this reality…every truly top guy has practically begged for a chance w/ him and they are ALL STILL WAITING. You honestly believe that strikeforce's stable gives him better comp. AND

43. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO

June 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm

…and bigger paydays…?! Really?…That is your argument?…I loved pride, bellator a few times…even dream…but none of them pay what ufc can and therefore will not land the same level of talent.

44. King Kong

June 5, 2010 at 2:21 pm

cobra clutch speakz the truth

45. Bobby Hill

June 5, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Clutch proves to us all about his great life with living on this site and posting every hour of the day. Women must love you.

46. Ryan S

June 6, 2010 at 12:02 am

I kind of agree with a combination of what Cobra and Dave said. The UFC has all the top talent now, but in my opinion, when Pride was around, I think they had the higher skilled fighters. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Fedor thing. I think there are two factors to consider. For one, who even knows what Fedor wants to do as far as fighting goes. He may be happy where he is, making the money he does so that he can support his family. The other thing is, he is a very hyped fighter, but he doesn't hype himself. Even so, everyone wants to bite his head off no matter what he does. Now on the other side of this, if he truely wants to be the best, then this is a stupid move, and it will prove that he can not hang with the guys in UFC today. I'm torn because I am one of the guys who think he was great prior to a few years ago, but I would love to see if he would do well with the UFC heavyweights.

47. CobraClutch

June 6, 2010 at 1:40 am

"bobby", "rampage," and "dork" prove that their shit-starting instigators with nothing better to do than be trolls on a message board and haters. :)

48. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO

June 6, 2010 at 6:26 am

cobra…if you give folks attention for things that you find petty, it will only encourage them. let it roll off your back. if guys get some digs in, so be it. let's get back to the kinds of legitimate and intelligence based discussions that used to be enjoyed here. we all have the ability to dog and get dogged as men but let's use a different venue to prove that. I don't know if Dave, oswald or any of the others recall when it used to be like that here, but i get bored of the conztat bickering and infighting. if i wanted that, i'd go see sex in the city or some other girlie shiaat. peace, out.

49. CobraClutch

June 6, 2010 at 7:39 am

you're absolutely right. thanks, dude. :)

50. Ryan S

June 6, 2010 at 8:15 am

I think Bobby thought cobradork was you.