Forrest Griffin Looking To Be Mentally Tough In His Fight With Anderson Silva

forrest-ufc-86

forrest-ufc-86

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin:

I didn’t feel I was as mentally tough as I should have been preparing for the fight. I wanted to really test myself. You see a lot of guys fight Anderson and they just don’t look like themselves. They don’t look like they want to be there or look like they have any confidence. I want to at least come in and fight up to my ability. So this fight will either bring out the best in me … or I will have to go out and find a real job. [MMAMainia]

Forrest hits it on the head, many fighter go into a fight with Anderson Silva and look like a complete amateur. Take Thales Leites, he went from being a warrior in his fight with Nate Marquardt, to an unengaging fighter looking to just survive The Spider.

1. STEVEO

April 30, 2009 at 2:17 am

hes lookes like a creepy hairless bat or something.

2. Oswald Gobblecock

April 30, 2009 at 7:39 am

lol He does

3. lmde

April 30, 2009 at 8:20 am

GO Forrest!

4. Porsche930_Pilot

April 30, 2009 at 8:41 pm

LOL!! Steveo, that’s exactly what he looks like in that pic LOL. Seriously though I’d love to see Forrest with this fight but I really don’t think he has what it takes (at this point) to take him out. But I think he knows that and plans to work on it so we’ll see.

April 30, 2009 at 11:16 pm

forrest always rises to the challenge..but I think this challenge is to great but i do hope its a war and anderson wins by knock out late in the 3..

6. Brett

May 9, 2009 at 11:17 pm

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to underestimate Forrest, as he's exactly the kind of fighter you just don't. He always comes ready and never disappoints, whether he wins or loses.

Though with a less than moderate weight advantage, roughly 20 lbs, I don't think his size will provide a huge edge in the fight with Anderson. Whereas Anderson does have a huge edge in technique.

But Griffin has surprised me before with how much his fighting game can improve seemingly overnight, mostly credited to his stellar work ethic. However Silva has also surprised us with how he can make world class athlete's appear to be amateurs like mentioned in the quote.

I really disagree though that it's the mental game that misconstrues his challengers path to glory, as that belief in part takes away from Anderson Silva's undeniable abilities. The guy has a prowess when he fights, and in almost every single match I've seen him in, whether it be his movement, his strikes or his instincts he's always dominant.

Suppose it could be the mental game, and I'm way off. After all, Forrest must know a thing or million more about fighting and competing than I do.

I'm just going to say if that's his plan, he might as well fully commit to it by detaching his brain and implant a computer set to "fight perfect," because Anderson Silva as a fighter is as close as you can get to that.

My advice to Forrest if I were his coach, and he didn't want to lose this fight would be: why do want it? But we all know Forrest would say the money. He's a great fighter with an even greater heart but his loyalties lie with his bank account which will look much nicer after this bout. The spider on the other hand, I really don't think with all his training and career cares "more" for finance at this point than retiring an undisputed champ and fighting legend.

Best of luck to both of them though and best of luck to the fans of both. This one could be awesome!

-Silva by Decision

7. Sill

May 10, 2009 at 5:17 am

I agree that it's not a total mind game when people fight silva. They're intimidated for a reason, but there definitely are mind games played there. That said, I think forrest will lose by knockout. I don't think it will make it to the fifth either. My hope for this fight is to see Forrest really bring it. You'll notice in his fight vs Rashad that he was breathing out of his mouth after the first(albeit so was Rashad) and being that tired after the first is a very bad thing. Now I don't think that he'll be that tired after the first this time because silva is so much more methodical that he probably won't throw a strike for the first 1-2 min (at least).

But all in all I 'm givin this fight to silva, and giving griffin a gold star for effort.