Frank Shamrock Fighting Kimbo Slice, Would Have Been Better For EliteXC

Updated: October 10, 2008
shamrock_frank

Frank Shamrock tells Sherdog, that if they would off put him instead on a “nobody” (Petruzelli), Slice might of not be in such bad shape. Getting knocked out by a MMA legend and former champion is better then losing to a light heavyweight who hasn’t competed in over a year.

“When I realized we would have to cancel the show, I said, ‘Look, I’ll fight the guy. You know, it’s a great story — little brother steps into the spot, comes out of the booth. It’s very compelling, but we need a fight to happen that’s compelling,…That went around for hours. Then I put my shirt on and went to work. No one committed to it, so I just kept talking.”

“Kimbo is great, great for ratings … But Kimbo fighting a star, a superstar, somebody who’s going to elevate him or knock him down in a good way … that’s what we needed that night. We didn’t need a nobody to beat Kimbo.”

1. Kash

October 10, 2008 at 4:45 am

They should have done this better. If Frank was in shape they should have put him in there. It's already a spectacle.

2. ELBOWZ

October 10, 2008 at 4:54 am

frank should fight him next!!!!

3. T.R.

October 10, 2008 at 4:55 am

I totally agree. I would have loved to have seen frank fight kimbo in the first place because frank would have destroyed him. It also would have been good for elite because kimbo would have lost to Frank and not seth who is a decent fighter but to the average fan he us an unknown.

4. zalbag

October 10, 2008 at 5:07 am

Frank is funny first he said that Ken shamed the family name , then he says he would have fought him. Whats with this crazy ancient family name pride syndrome with the shamrock brothers. why cant they just use countless swear words in press conferences like the Diaz brothers

5. ELBOWZ

October 10, 2008 at 5:08 am

I Agree i wish it was frank in the first place. But i'm happy that Seth beat his ass.

But i have a question, do they put kimbo up against a bum so he can redeem himself or put him up against a legit fighter prove he can hang?

I think Kimbo is garbage, the only reason i watch him is in hope that he loses.

6. roy

October 10, 2008 at 5:12 am

if elite had any sense they would have let frank fight him, frank kicks his ass and kimbo still has some hope because he stepped up on last minute and fought a legit fighter, imagine the shit frank would have talked on ken having to step in for him this would have set up either ken vs kimbo or frank vs ken it would have been win win if kimbo would have fought frank now he is just exposed by a nobody.

7. Oswald Gobblecock

October 10, 2008 at 7:16 am

Frank's always quick at referring himself as a legend isn't he? I don't hear true legends that are still good enough to be in a top company refer to themselves like this!

8. vinny

October 10, 2008 at 9:21 am

It would have been a great story to end a night of great fights. You can be sure the big shots are wishing Frank kicked his ass now. Frank was in shape, he's always shape. He refered to himself as a superstar not a legend, get it straight. The man is a superstar. I would rather pay to see Frank fight then any of the so called asses running around today. The man has confidense, I applaud him for that. This sport needs more guys like Frank for it to explode. Believe me if Frank wanted too fight in the UFC he could pick up the phone and call DW and he would be on the next card for whatever amount of $ he wanted. No matter what DW says he wants Frank.

9. Oswald Gobblecock

October 10, 2008 at 10:39 am

One in the same, don't tell me to get it str8. I still don't hear Liddell or Couture refer to themselves as superstars!

You think Frank would last in the UFC today? You really think he could take on Franklin, Henderson, or even Silva? Sure he could compete against lower level guys at 185 but he'd be tested and soon be gone. D White could give a shit about getting Frank. He has bigger names and better fighters. If Frank really believed him being in the UFC was a phone call away I'm sure he'd do it if he still has the fire in him to fight the best.

10. T.R.

October 10, 2008 at 2:30 pm

i agree with vinny, I think that frank would beat any 185er in the ufc besides A. Silva. Frank likes to hire promoters to promote his different fights. Dana would never do that so the ufc wont sign him. But I do believe that he is still one of the best @ 185. He will kick Titos ass.

11. Morey

October 10, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Retrospect fellas. They actually thought that Kimbo was probably a good fighter and would win Seth. At some point when you hear he is a beast in the gym and is getting trained by Bas who praises the guy, you start to believe some of the hype. Problem is that punching bags dont hit back. Kimbo didnt know what to do when he was in trouble and he turtled up.

12. Oswald Gobblecock

October 10, 2008 at 6:05 pm

I said he could pretty much compete with any1 besides Franklin, Henderson and Silva. I'm sure there's a couple others that would beat his ass at 185 i the UFC but Dana wouldn't want him and why would he? Vinny said it's a matter of 1 call away which I seriously doubt. I also don't think he could still take Tito and I don't think Tito's even that good these days like most.

13. Ryan S

October 10, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Oswald, I used to think he was a legend, until he referred to himself as one. I don't know, I think he could hang in the UFC, but only if he started with the lower class fighters. I think he could shake off enough ring rust to eventually fight Franklin and hendo and maybe even Silva. We'll probably never know. Notice, Shamrock volunteered to fight, but they didn't want that. He is too good for Kimbo the Killer, best fighter in the world and history. YouTube his fights. You'll be AMAZED!!!lol

October 11, 2008 at 2:42 am

hahaha that is so funny.. i am no kimb fan but i think he will be back and ready for better comp

15. roy

October 13, 2008 at 4:04 am

actually oswald dana has been trying to get frank in the ufc ever since they took over the ufc.