Frank Shamrock Had Cung Le Beat?

Updated: April 8, 2008
frank shamrock standup

frank shamrock standup

Here are some comments made to MMAWeekly by former EliteXC middleweight champion Frank Shamrock.

“I had him totally on the stand up. He was never going to make it another round or so. I was slowing him down, I was catching his timing, and I was starting to catch his chin. One of us never would have made it out of the fourth round and I don’t think it was going to be me if my arm didn’t break.”

“I don’t feel a lot when I’m fighting, but when something breaks or cracks, I get a little stabbing pain. I felt that in the first round…I have a really high pain tolerance … but it was really painful. On a scale of 1 to 10, it was like a 15 or so.”

HT: CageToday Reader ROY

1. Thomas

April 8, 2008 at 4:04 am

The way I saw it, Frank had Cung beat for no more than about 20 seconds and he missed his opportunity to finish it.

2. kom34

April 8, 2008 at 4:29 am

frank was taking the hits, i thought a couple of cung's kicks should have dropped him. this is franks thing, to talk sh*t after the fight, just like he did when he lost to renzo gracie. its ok, i hope he gets hyped up enough to fight cung again.

3. Boris

April 8, 2008 at 4:49 am

If Frank was as bad as he thinks he is, he'd still be in the UFC fighting better fighters. Anderson Silva would slaughter him. Then after the fight Frank would say he had him beat but…

4. erik

April 8, 2008 at 5:21 am

i think that anderson silva has proven himself to be the best fighter at 185 lbs….he needs to bump up to 205 or drop down to 170 and fight now…he needs to truely prove that he is belongs amongst the greats like randy cotoure and matt hughes… ithink that a GSP vs. Silva fight or Rampage vs. Silva would help for their careers and for the publicity of the UFC

5. Kash

April 8, 2008 at 5:42 am

Yeah I would love to see those fights too. In the meantime I want to see what Anderson could do with Yushin Okami. I really hope to see Anderson vs. Machida one day too.

6. derek

April 8, 2008 at 9:40 am

anderson – machida would be a good fight, but what i want to see more is GSP vs anderson silva or even anderson va lidell.

7. onri

April 8, 2008 at 10:47 am

Lets face it Anderson vs. anyone would be a fun fight to watch.

8. derek

April 8, 2008 at 11:14 am

"He was never going to make it another round or so." hahahaha come on, frank. april fool's day already passed! good one frank, really. i saw the fight, and cung tooled your ass.

9. TCR

April 8, 2008 at 5:48 pm

That was my oppinion too when I saw the fight. If the round had continued for another round or so Le was out.

10. Achilles

April 9, 2008 at 4:06 am

He was getting CUNG's timing down and rocking but those kicks were landing on his chin late in the round but you "can say" that the broken arm had something to do with that. They should do it again in 3-6 moths and let that settle it

11. whodini

April 10, 2008 at 9:18 pm

did you see Cungs face after the fight? he looked pretty beat up and i did think frank might … i said might of had a small edge in a couple rounds there it almost was interesting

12. Christian

May 3, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Frank really needs to dispose of his annoying ego. The best p4p fighter; Fedor, doesn't even consider himself the best in the world and Frank Shamrock talks about himself being the best in the world and he isn't.

13. Onri

May 3, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Frank used to be the best in the world. Right now he is a fountain of knowledge but his body is giving out. He's injured a lot and has slowed since his UFC days. My choice for best pound 4 pound is GSP. You're right Franks ego is not helping him win fights.

14. the girlyman fist

March 6, 2009 at 11:44 am

dont want to see Frank and Cung again so soon, bring in named fighters for Cung