Gabriel Gonzaga Released From The UFC

Updated: October 29, 2010

Once UFC heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga has been let go by the UFC

“Official now – Out of UFC – Thanks for all your support – back to normal life and BJJ forever” [Twitter]

1. harry henderson

October 29, 2010 at 5:40 am

I don't know this fighter well enough to really make an intelligent comment, but judging from his record, he seems a bit like a One Hit (pun intended) Wonder.

His monster KO of Cro Cop was the shot of the year, but the fire works pretty much ended there.

On a side note: I always thought it was pretty considerate of Cro Cop not to demand a rematch, many of MMA's big ego's demand them, to patch up their messy record to that L

2. Businessman

October 29, 2010 at 6:15 am

he prettymuch came in with a bang and then just lost it. I dont understand why he did not work on his takedowns more, to compliment his BJJ.

3. Ryan S

October 29, 2010 at 8:14 am

Yeah you almost never see him on the ground. I figured this was just a matter of time.

4. Cletus

October 29, 2010 at 9:11 am

His quote seems to imply that he's had it with competitive MMA.

Perhaps back to South America for some BJJ tournaments?

5. Manny

October 29, 2010 at 9:50 am

What? So no Strikeforce or anything else? Just give up and go back to Brazil? No wonder why he's done.

6. hosan

October 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm

He started off strong vs carwin, he just made the mistake of trying to finish to quickly and get caught by one of those mac trucks carwin calls fists.

It works out nicely for gonzaga to go back to bjj, cuz then even when he's not wearing a gi he's wearing a gi.

7. MMA maniac

October 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Well keep in mind that these days with the level of high level fighters anybody can go out of the ufc quick. I mean the sport has evolved so fast. I think they should fire Tito too. I tink Tito is more after the money he just got paid 250k for his fight against Hamill

8. Cletus

October 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm

but his name alone garners money for them, he's among the best known names in the biz, possibly the highest.

9. kkhkugkhgh

October 29, 2010 at 9:36 pm

can any one tell me how cheick kongo still has a job in the ufc in my mind he is far worse than gonzaga and should have been fired long ago before jardine even. whats the deal here,

10. Cletus

October 30, 2010 at 8:09 am

How many consecutive losses does he have?

11. Bear

November 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

Kongo has been pretty sucessful in the UFC. He will never be a champ but he has a better record than Gonzaga or Jardine. I agree that Tito needs to go to. His last win was against Shamrock…about 5 fights ago. I don't believe that he has won in his last 5 fights, including the tie. He should be canned.

12. hosan

November 1, 2010 at 8:35 pm

kongo is 15-6-2

gonzaga is 11-6

keith jardine is 15-9-1

It's easy to see who's doing the best out of those 3.