Heisman Trophy Winner Herschel Walker Signs With Strikeforce

Updated: September 21, 2009

walker apprentice

Strikeforce MMA has announced the signing of 47 year old football star Herschel Walker to its lineup of heavyweights.

“I will go in there and test myself against any 20 year old,” said Walker. “I know there will be naysayers and I’m fine with that. I want to prove to people who sit on a couch and don’t do anything but criticize other people that, if you’re a true athlete or martial artist, you’re not old until you can’t get up and walk around anymore. MMA fighters are said to be some of the best athletes in the world, my plan at the age of 47 is to show the world I am still one of the best athletes as well”

Strikeforce is obviously in need of known names to build up its heavyweight division. Signing a well aged former NFL all-star is not the kind of talent expected to build a division around Fedor Emelianenko.

An obvious publicity stunt to give some “Star Power” to the up coming CBS fight card in November. Whether he is on the card, part of the broadcast team or in the audience, we will certainly see Walker Nov. 7th on CBS.

Walker was a contestant in the eight season of “Celebrity Apprentice”, a Donald Trump produced reality series.

1. YeahBUddy

September 21, 2009 at 5:56 am

I've always liked the guy, I hope he doesn't go out and get himself killed.

2. zack

September 21, 2009 at 6:52 am

He was a great NFL players for 12 seasons and at the most punishing positon running back. And he's 47, I dont think his body is up to it. He might have taken too many blows to the head by too many linebackers. A lot of these Pro players that are retired, have a sick competitive drive to make them want to keep going. Like they can to out there and do the same things they did in their prime. Micheal Jordan even said at his HOF speech that he was serious about a possible return to the NBA at the age of 50 and feels he can still play. These guys need to realize that there not what they were before and that nobody wants to see old Pros embarrassing themselves, trying to compete to young lions. (Jordan, Chuck, CroCop and now Hersal). I think Rich Franklin too. Not that he's embarrassing himself but, he can't beat the elite in the UFC. He should call it quits too, unless he wants to stick around be like a gatekeeper for fighters at MW or LHW. Which is sort of what I believe he is now.

3. LuTang

September 21, 2009 at 8:16 am

I bet Bo Jackson would do better, because Bo knows everything. Bo knows MMA. Well, not really, but since the ads tell me that, then I must believe. Because commercials don't lie, do they?

4. WHODINI

September 21, 2009 at 10:03 am

im sure ol Hersh is in need of a paycheck ….im sure his fundage is a little low these days

5. roy

September 22, 2009 at 5:42 am

i dout money has anything to do with this he has a martial arts background and has talked about this for years i think he just wants to give it a try to bad he is 47 yrs old i hope he doesn't try to take on anyone to good for his level.

6. shawn

October 4, 2009 at 11:39 pm

what a joke! a little old for this sport, don't u think?