Herschel Walker Injured, Off Dec. 4 Strikeforce Card In St. Louis

Updated: November 24, 2010
Herschel-Walker

Herschel Walker sustained a deep cut under his left eye that required multiple stitches while training Monday at American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., and will not be able to fight on Saturday, Dec. 4, at Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

“I feel terrible about this,’’ said Walker, who was cut from a knee strike while training with AKA teammate and two-time United States Olympic wrestling team member Daniel Cormier. “I know things like this happen in all sports, but I had trained very hard and was excited to be returning to the cage again. I hope to fight again as soon as the cut heals.’’

The four televised fights on SHOWTIME® (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast): MMA superstar Dan Henderson (25-8) of Temecula, Calif., faces former STRIKEFORCE light heavyweight world champion Renato “Babalu” Sobral (36-8) of Brazil; Antonio “Big Foot’’ Silva (14-2), of Coconut Creek, Fla., meets Valentijn “The Python’’ Overeem (28-23), of The Netherlands in a heavyweight encounter, Paul “Semtex’’ Daley (25-9-2) of England battles Scott “Hands Of Steel” Smith (17-7, 1 NC), of Elk Grove, Calif., at welterweight and ex-world champion “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler (17-6, 1 NC), of Granite City, Ill., goes up against 2000 Olympic Games silver medalist Matt “The Law” Lindland (22-7) of Oregon City, Ore., in a middleweight (185 pounds) scrap.

An announcement about a possible replacement fight for the telecast will be made in the coming days, STRIKEFORCE said.

1. Tico

November 24, 2010 at 10:45 am

oh no, the card is ruined, but good news, they are getting Harry Carson to replace him.

2. Bear

November 26, 2010 at 12:58 am

Tico…if you think that it sucks so bad, don't watch it then. At least the event does not cost the price of a PPV. I feel sorry for your wife, family, girlfriend or anyone that has to deal with you on an every day basis because you are very negative.

3. Tico

November 26, 2010 at 2:31 am

So what your saying Bear is that this Strike Force Event that just long a 1-win rookie is still impressive and catered for Strike Force fans such as myself?

Your answer will enlighten us all about you.

…and for the record I watch all the events regardless of that organizations respect for the card or the fans!

4. King Kong

November 26, 2010 at 2:48 am

Bear…talk about being negative. First you claim he said the card sucks, which he did not say. All Tico said was that a Football player was pulled and that another Football player will replace him. Then you bring his family into it?

Your as negative as anyone here!

What is YOUR opinion on the card?

Who should replace this 1-Win Fighter?

How has Coker designed a card for MMA fans?

Do you want to see ore Football Players in MMA?

How bout sharing your opinion of this tread instead of just being mean to tico and bringing his family into it?

5. Bear

November 26, 2010 at 5:08 am

Tico – I read your reply 3 times and the only sentence that makes any sense is "Your answer will enlighten us all about you." Go back and read the rest and reply with your question because I cannot respond to something that makes no sense. The point you try to make at the end also makes no sense= no clue what "organizatuons respect for the card or the fans" means. Get your thoughts together and reply when you figure out what you are trying to say.

King Kong- First of all I do not bring in his family in a negative way. I did not say anything about his family. If anything, I was being honest in that I feel bad for them. I don't see how that is bringing in his family. I am not being negative. I am long time reader and recently started posting and just a little tired of Tico's on-going negative attitude. I don't see how that is being negative. So now here are my answers to you real questions:

1. The card should be pretty good. I am sure that not every match is going to be good, but that can be said for any event. With the exception of the Herschel fight, the other 8 fighter are veterans with 6 having fought in the UFC, 3 of which would most likely still be there but for contracts (Hendo) and bad sportmanship (Babalu and Paul).

2. I can't answer that question because I do not know who is under contract, who is available, who is not injured, etc. With SF not being the size of the UFC, all of their news is not as available. I don't always have the time to keep up or research every mma update.

3. In my opinion, Coker designs his cards to try and draw the hardcore MMA fans that will watch all MMA and from the people that just watch when a big or familiar name is on the card. He tries to stay away from the middle group in between because those fans are mainly UFC only fans. He does signs some "circus" type fighters such as Bobby, Herschel, Batista, etc but he is doing that to sell the that last group of fans. Everyone does it (UFC does it to- James Toney and Kmbo).

4. I want to see anyone that can fight be on mma- whether they were previous MLB, NFL, MSL, NBA, accountants, bankers, cooks…i don't care what they did before…as long as they can put on a good fight, that is what I want.

I hope that this answers your questions.

6. King Kong

November 26, 2010 at 5:19 am

Congratulations Bear, you just submitted a worthy post to the thread. Keep up the good work!

7. ironcjb82

November 29, 2010 at 2:19 am

Lol, Strikeforce is too funny. how did this joker just become a "professional fighter" ?? His first fight against that nobody was below shameful.

8. Cletus

November 29, 2010 at 3:30 am

Stop it Ironcjb82,your being negative!

…and I'm getting a yeast infection with Bear

9. P4P #1 Fan

November 29, 2010 at 5:27 am

Clutus- rolling with your mom will give anyone a yeast infection.

10. ironcjb82

November 29, 2010 at 5:27 am

Cletus did you see his first fight. It was a snoozfest…

11. Cletus

November 29, 2010 at 5:32 am

Oh P4P #1 Fan, you got me!

ahh, I'm dying!

– I did see the fight, and even though Walker is currently a 1-win nobody, I have high hopes that he'll make it in the sport. I'd love to see super athletes become MMA stars, it would up the ante

12. hosan

November 29, 2010 at 4:12 pm

henderson vs babalu should be good. I don't know what to expect. Dan looked like such an old bastard in his last fight.

Daley vs smith should end in fireworks. Daley's got my money on that one.

Lawlor vs lindland could be intersting. I got lindland in that fight cuz i claim portland.