Interview: Joe Scarola Opening His Own BJJ Academy

Updated: December 6, 2007

The Ultimate Fighter Season 6 quitter explains why he is opening his own BJJ Academy. Scarola explains how he is a very sought after BJJ coach and how he needed to leave Matt Serras gym and start his own.

Scarola quit the TUF 6 show after losing his first fight, embarrassing Matt Serra, who pulled strings to get him on the show.

via CagePotato

1. Kash

December 6, 2007 at 4:48 am

hahaha…Quitter Academy of BJJ…sounds like a good idea there Scorola.

December 6, 2007 at 9:06 am

hahah thats funny kash.. but this guy is never going to make it in the ufc and in WEC, sucks for him

3. Robert

December 6, 2007 at 10:47 am

Scarola sucks. I probably could beat him standing up or on the ground AND I know nothing!

4. Robert

December 6, 2007 at 10:48 am

Scarola sucks. He showed no skilsl during TUF.

5. derek

December 6, 2007 at 11:48 am

serra disowned him. even dana white said scarola would never come fight in the UFC again. i highly doubt true students would train under a sensei, master, or whatever scarola calls himself that has no real fight experience.

6. Joe

December 6, 2007 at 6:52 pm

I think he’s a punk. He acted like a big cry baby on the show. I think he has some BJJ skills, but I don’t think he has much confidence in himself. Plus, he doesn’t like to get hit, so he should just stick to BJJ and stay out of the MMA game. I don’t like the way he justifies his actions by saying Matt Serra’s school didn’t allow him to grow. What a joke. This guy seems to have no loyalty to his friends. I couldn’t care less if this guy EVER gets another shot.

7. derek

December 7, 2007 at 3:23 am

wow, and this scarola (or should i said SCAREDola) was best man at serra's wedding.

8. kom34

December 7, 2007 at 5:23 am

I'm just glad the UFC and Serra don't want anything to do with the guy anymore. He pussied out and betrayed his home team. They guy may have talent but he has no heart.

On the other hand, I still haven't found anyone who knows that move he pulled in TUF. He can teach his students how to tap out before the bell sounds…he can call that his famous tap in under 5 seconds technique.

9. dane drebin

December 7, 2007 at 7:29 pm

guys a pooner nuff said

10. dane drebin

December 22, 2007 at 9:35 pm

he should name the acedemy Pussies R us

11. Horace

May 16, 2008 at 2:50 am

Leave Joe alone, he doesn't know what he's doing.

12. Rich

May 28, 2008 at 1:21 am

Joey is skilled at BJJ or he wouldn't have been a instructor at

the Serra's gym. I got the feeling he was pushed to take part in UFC training camp. He should have been his own man, and said No.. to Matt. I saw how Matt reacted when Joey want to go home – when he lost. Joey didn't or doesn't

have the MMA fighter instinct or personality. So it make you wonder why was there to begin with…