Jason “The Athlete” MacDonald Has Been Cut By The UFC

Updated: May 5, 2009
jason-macdonald

jason-macdonald

UFC middleweight fighter Jason MacDonald (21-12) has been released from his UFC contract, according to his blog on Sportnet.ca.

“It also opens up some other opportunities for me. It’s an opportunity for me to fight in the MFC and win that middleweight belt. I also wouldn’t mind fighting in Strikeforce. They’re looking for someone to fight Scott Smith. And I can beat Scott Smith …. I’d also like to fight in Japan. I don’t know if I’d want to make a career there, but I’d like the opportunity to do that.”

“The UFC has been great to me and they’ve been great to deal with, so there are no hard feelings at all. I understand it’s just the nature of the sport …. Especially nowadays, with so many fighters, it’s more important than ever to win fights.”

MacDonald dropped three of his last four fights in the UFC. His last fight came as a disappointment, losing by first round TKO Nate Quarry.

1. Miko

May 5, 2009 at 1:49 am

With all of this talent being being let go by the UFC I hope strikeforce has the money to snatch up some of these guys and be a better competitor to the ufc

2. Genno

May 5, 2009 at 1:56 am

That sucks, the guy had some great fights in the UFC.

3. Nichole Lesniak

May 5, 2009 at 2:11 am

I wasn't a "huge" fan of MacDonald, but he seemed like a decent guy with a decent game. It's a shame, but he's right – you've gotta win fights to stay in it.

4. derek

May 5, 2009 at 4:15 am

i always wondered why this guy got huge fights ……………………….good get rid of him……..couldnt win in ufc

5. Morey

May 5, 2009 at 4:31 am

He came out for a week at Jackson's gym before his fight with Rich Franklin. Let me tell you this guy is a huge middleweight and his title 'the athlete' is right on. Its a shame they let him go but at that level you can't lose that many in a row.

6. Miko

May 5, 2009 at 6:08 am

Derek if nothing else, we can admire you for your diplomacy.

7. derek

May 5, 2009 at 6:36 am

No sir this guy blows……he might be a nice guy other than that he wont ever hold a belt……. we'll see

8. Ryan S

May 5, 2009 at 8:57 am

I agree with Derek, he was a good fighter and he was talented, nut he was one of those guys that you kind of knew was not going much higher than he is now. Besides, how many fights has he lost in a row lately?

May 5, 2009 at 9:55 am

i think jason was pretty good and should hVE BEEN the gatekeeper for the UFC BUT he will be back

10. Oswald Gobblecock

May 5, 2009 at 11:09 am

Miko, Strikeforce will never compete with the UFC but it's still nice to see more MMA fights with people we know so i hope they don't wash out like EliteXC did but lets face it. UFC = King Any company that think they'll compete can expect death but if they just try to put on good shows an avoid trying to go head to head then maybe they'll survive.

11. kom34

May 5, 2009 at 1:43 pm

he came in so strong in the ufc its really disappointing that he didn't do better. but i have to give the guy credit…look who he fought. he didn't have any easy fights. wandi is one of my favorite fighters and he also lost a string to top talent.

12. kom34

May 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

other than that i hope strikeforce competes with the ufc. they have deep money and pretty good fighters. as much as i love the ufc i hate monopolies…not good for business.

13. Leo

May 6, 2009 at 4:21 pm

True. they'll keep the UFC on their toes but never be able to beat them.

14. james

June 14, 2009 at 11:09 pm

idc what any one say the athlete is the greatest it is a shame he lost that many matches but at least give him a redeming chance