Joe Riggs “Robbie is going to expose [Shields]“

Updated: March 26, 2009

joe-riggs

Ex UFC fighter Joe Riggs had some heated words to say about former EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields. Shields apparently told Strikeforce that he wanted to fight a bigger name fighter resulting in the proposed Shields vs. Riggs fight to be cut in favor of a catch-weight fight between Jake Shields and Former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler.

“(Expletive) him … I will (expletive) him up. I beat his teammate Nick Diaz’s ass, and I will beat his ass too. I mean, that is a very disrespectful thing to say. I have beaten a lot of tough guys in the world. I have had my fair share of losses, as well; I have had my ups and downs. But look who I have fought; I have fought nothing but top guys.”

“In the UFC, I fought nothing but the best. And that guy just says that because I am a bad matchup for him. I am just as good a wrestler as he is; I don’t think he would be able to take me down. And on the feet, he is a girl. His girlfriend or wife probably slaps him around standing up. He is a (expletive) joke. That guy thinks he is way, way better than he is. Everybody wants to fight him because the first person to expose him is going to look like the man.

“I think Jake is good, but he thinks he can compete with Georges St-Pierre. Georges would take his head off. Robbie is going to expose him very badly. I have been around for a long time, and I have fought the best and beaten some of the best. So, for him to talk (expletive) about me like that? (Expletive) him. That’s (expletive) up.”

Jake Shields will take on Robbie Lawler on Strikeforces June 6th’s Showtime fightcard. Riggs is also rumored be taking on Phil Baroni on the June Strikeforce card.

1. Kash

March 26, 2009 at 9:11 am

Lawler is the bigger fight. If Riggs wants a better rep he's going to have to put together a string of wins.

2. Luke

March 26, 2009 at 9:33 am

I agree, Joe Riggs has always had potential but has come up short, and not just in big fights, the first i heard of Cory Devela was when he beat Riggs. The only credible fighter he has fought since the UFC was Misaki and that ended in a loss.

Jake Shields is on a role right now and a high profile fight is what he needs, and Robbie Lawler is obviously a better choice than Joe Riggs.

3. steve

March 26, 2009 at 9:53 am

U guys remember when I said I didnt like Jake Shields because he thinks he can compete with GSP right. Well it looks like im not the only one who thinks he is a joke b/c of that coment. Shields isnt well rounded and he has no stand up. Shields is not a fighter. He is a wrestler who can do okay submissions. He is fucking boring. I would rather see Riggs vs Lawler atleast there would be 2 guys who want to bang going into the fight. Not just 1 guy trying to wrestle and use the rules of protecting fighters on the ground to his advantage. If you could knee a guy when he shot in on you even if he had a knee on the ground and such it would be so much better. Pride was nice because it was more of a fight. The ufc acts like its so hardcore and dangerous like a street fight but yet they have all these rules. I can see people havning rules but rules like no knees to ground and no hitting the back of the head or stomping ur opponent. All these rules are stupid to me. We are trying to see who is the better fighter and I sure miss the stomps from shogun and the knees to the top of a wrestlers head as he tried to shoot for a takedown got stuffed and KO'd by knees.

March 26, 2009 at 9:56 am

joe did have alot of potential, but idk now and i thinke sheild would sub joe in the first

5. Luke

March 26, 2009 at 10:05 am

I kind of agree steve. I think knees to the head of a downed opponent should be legal. As for stomps and kicks to the head, i have to disagree.

I dont believe any fighter could intellegently defend themselves with a man standing over them attacking with a barrage of kicks and stomps to their head. I also believe it takes alot of the ground game away from fighters.

6. dane drebin

March 26, 2009 at 1:19 pm

i agree with u steve i miss the pride days aswell. there are a lot of situations where im like damn if he could only knee him right now itd be sucha different fight.

7. nikkidee

March 26, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I've heard (and seen evidence) that Joe Riggs gets stage fright when it comes to performing. I remember when he fought Diego, and right before the bell, I saw him mentally choke–just his demeanor and the look in his eyes–it was pretty obvious, and then minutes later the fight was stopped, which wasn't a huge surprise. Look at the way he choked with Hughes–gets a title shot and blows it by not making weight? I hate it when that happens because it's a clear indication the guy doesn't want it badly enough (ala Travis Lutter). I've read it drives Dana crazy too–all the money, the promotion, the excitement of the fans, and it's all blown away by the fighter disrespecting everyone by not preparing properly. If they do another TUF Comeback show, maybe he could be cast.

8. Alex

March 26, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Nice comment nikkidee. I'm sure he did choke in the Diego fight. As far as you guys saying Shields isn't a great standup fighter you're right. But why does he dismantle standup fighters. Like Semtex Daley. Its because he can get them to play his game.

I have to admit Shields looks about as scary as Lauzon. They aren't intimidating to look at. But get them in the cage and they're kick ass. Everyone has a weakness. But fighters that win when they're faced with that are the ones that are champs.

9. Alex

March 26, 2009 at 3:22 pm

My prediction is Shields will win both Lawler and Riggs. If Riggs keeps on talking trash he might just get that fight.

10. roy

March 27, 2009 at 2:42 am

i agree steve, and i think jake will be in trouble in this fight.as far as the rules i say as little as possible it is supposed to be a fight and to many of these rules favor wrestlers who could not just lay there and duck there head if knees and other strikes to grounded fighters where allowed.

11. steve

March 27, 2009 at 9:40 am

Dane and roy I cant tell you how much it makes me respect your opinions to here u guys say that. I mean this is really one of the big issues I have with mma and knowing that im not the only one who thinks this is on this site is great. Roy u said exactly what I was trying to get at and Dane I do the same almost of every ufc there is a fight where I just wish there wasnt certain rules.