Joe Stevenson Road To UFC 80 II

Updated: January 16, 2008

1. Realwun

January 16, 2008 at 3:58 am

I like both fighters and all I'm hoping for is an exciting fight that showcases both fighters. I think Stevenson is a strong wrestler so depending how BJ handles that aspect will tell a lot about how he will fare with Sherk.

2. roy

January 16, 2008 at 4:12 am

i think joe might be better than sherk he seems to have better all around skill than sherk.sherk is strong and a great wrestler but thats about it joe is improving and has great bjj skills i would like joe and shek to fight down the road.

3. Patrick89

January 16, 2008 at 5:03 am

Yeah, I think Joe would be able to submit Sherk if not decision him. I lost some faith in Sherk after seeing him win the most one dimensional unexciting decision win over Franca, on steroids at that. I hope when he gets off suspension he really goes for the finish against whoever wins. Although I don't think he will win it would make for a better fight. I also think that his lackluster win over Franca and not just his suspension was part of the deciding factor for his belt being taken away.

4. kom34

January 16, 2008 at 8:07 am

Good points. Yeah, Sherk vs. Joe Daddy would be a great fight that I'd like to see down the line. Who knows, if Stevenson can pull off the upset then maybe we'll see that fight sooner than we think. I guess that depends a lot on how good of shape BJ shows up in for this fight.

5. roy

January 16, 2008 at 8:16 am

yeah kom34 i got a little bet on b.j winning but i would not be shocked if joe did win, just like you said it depends on how b.j shows up. if its at his best i don't think joe has a chance but any less than that and joe could take it.

6. Kash

January 16, 2008 at 8:19 am

I'm thinking about putting money down on Penn to win the fight. He always suprises me with his talent and flexibility. Can't wait. I'm basically dropping 45 dollars just to watch that fight.

7. BRANDON

January 16, 2008 at 8:25 am

Roy i believe we know hoe BJ will show up at this fight. He has already stated in articles with the UFC that he is training harder then he has ever trained before and taking this fight more serious then any other point. He confessed to UFC that his 29th birthday was an eye opener for him…he said he realized what talent he had and how much he had been wasting it by just doing the bare minumum up till now. BJ is in a great place mentally and physically due to his new revelation…i feel as if he is at the point of unstoppability right now

8. roy

January 16, 2008 at 8:37 am

your right brandon, i think b.j at his best could beat any lw or ww out there, and i beleave he is ready to train right from here out.

9. BRANDON

January 16, 2008 at 9:06 am

as much as u know im behind him to win this fight (im in the bet with scot also) i almost want to see him lose just to see him fight GSP. With his new focus him vs George could possibly be the fight of the century

10. T476

January 16, 2008 at 10:15 am

For now, everything is just speculation. BJ looked good in the Pulver fight for sure but Jens isn't the fighter he used to be.

This upcoming fight has a lot of promis but I've been disappointed enough by BJ to not get my hopes up before the match.

11. BRANDON

January 16, 2008 at 10:18 am

Jens Pulver is not the fighter he used to be…at 155! At 145 hes more than dominant…hes 8-0 or 6-0 i dont remember at 145. and BJ has let u down cause of his work ethic…which is now beyond intact…u will not be dissapointed with BJ Penn against stevenson…i believe he is simply incapable of losing when he is mentally at this level

12. BRANDON

January 16, 2008 at 10:34 am

13. T476

January 16, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I guess we'll see come the 19th. Up until then I'll still have my doubts.

14. Leet

January 16, 2008 at 4:38 pm

I saw a video on here from BJ's website where he is testing how much weight he can gain from a fatty burger. That was pretty recent. I think he's looking past Stevenson for some reason. I hope Joe Daddy teaches him a lesson on Saturday and wins that fight.

15. JOE

January 16, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I don't think Penn is looking past Stevenson. Stevenson is going to be outclassed in this fight.

16. Patrick89

January 17, 2008 at 5:24 am

I agree, Joe is a strong lightweight with lots of fight experience, but if I've learned anything skill will almost always come out on top. B.J. 's skills dwarf many of the fighters not only in his division but in the entire organization with maybe the exception of a few or just a couple ( St. Pierre, Silva ). I see a valiant effort by Joe, but this fight will not go the distance with B.J. pulling off the sub in the 2nd or 3rd, if not sooner.

17. KOPower

January 17, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Patrick89, i'm all with you on that opinion. If BJ comes into this fight in shape, it will tell me a lot about how he would match up agianst Sherk or GSP.