Karo Parisyan Tested Positive For Painkillers, Claims Innocence

Updated: February 11, 2009
karo Parisyan

karo Parisyan

Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) executive director Keith Kizer, announced that Karo Parisyan tested positive for three different painkillers following his fight with Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 94. The post-fight urine test showed Parisyan had the opiates Hydrocodone, Oxymorphone, and Hydromorphone in his system.

Parisyan initially claimed he told the commission of the prescriptions before the fight, but later changed his story and admitted he notified them after the fight.

“I did not even think about any of that stuff … I was just thinking about my fight, and my anxiety and how I’m going to walk in the cage. I had so many problems in my head. I didn’t even think I should write — I was just doing it fast, fast, fast, just to get out there and weigh in and fight. I completely forgot about all this stuff.

“When he asked me after the fight, my mind was calm, my body was calm, and I was thinking about the urine test. They say I didn’t say it before, and I know that’s my mistake. They can’t hold that against me. I didn’t kill anybody. I even told the main guy. He said, ‘Karo, as long as you didn’t take anabolic drugs, or cocaine, or any of that crazy stuff, you should be fine as long as you’ve got the prescription.’”

Parisyan is currently suspended until his hearing with the NSAC next Tuesday.

Parisyan is penciled in to face Josh Koscheck at UFC 98, May 23 in Las Vegas.

1. roy

February 11, 2009 at 3:21 am

none of those would have helped him in the fight, they probally would make him fight worse, as a matter a fact he didn't look good at all.still they are banned so i am sure he will get suspended and he needs that and go get his head right.

February 11, 2009 at 4:17 am

i hope he still fights KO..

whats wrong with his head??

3. roy

February 11, 2009 at 4:23 am

panic attacks, continual excuses for everything that goes wrong with him never in good shape. he has alot of problems.

4. STEVEO

February 11, 2009 at 5:15 am

so does the asian dude who beat him in the last fight get credit for the win like he should have the first time?

5. Ryan S

February 13, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Yeah, it was a crap-ass fight and a crap-ass decision. That guy was outclassing him in about every way.

6. Ryan S

February 13, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Dong. Karo should not have beaten Dong.

7. Morey

February 13, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Cecil Peoples must have been scoring all three cards

8. Ryan S

February 13, 2009 at 1:58 pm

My wife's not home. I think I'm gonna go beat Dong.

9. Alex

February 13, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I love a good controversy. But BJ got his ass whooped in that fight. GSP is just better.

10. Anthony

March 18, 2009 at 7:59 am

Dong was kicking Karo so bad in that fight. Dong wasn't even taking it seriously. I, and many others, was shocked when they pronounced that Karo won. BS! I believe the UFC judges were favoring Karo in that fight.