Keith Jardine Suspended “Indefinitely” For Pushing Referee

jardine-techno-viking

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation today suspended Keith Jardine “Indefinitely” for his actions at Shark Fight 13. Prior to the main event, “The Dean of Mean” shoved referee Steve Armstrong as he entered the cage last Saturday in Amarillo.

“I think he was zoning. He was fixing to fight a big fight. I was trying to stop him, and he smirked and pushed me. I said, ‘You push me again, you’re DQ’d.’ Then he patted my shoulder like he realized what was going on. I think he got caught in the moment… He’s got a lot of fights, he should know better. There’s no excuse but I didn’t want to see him get suspended indefinitely. I just wanted to know, ‘Hey, do you have a mouthpiece and a cup on?’ In every fight that’s checked, so this is nothing new to Keith. We’re always going to look at your gloves and do those checks. That’s all very standard, going through that checkpoint.” [MMAFighting]

Video of the incident after the jump

1. hosan

September 17, 2010 at 8:09 am

fuckin moron

2. fred

September 17, 2010 at 11:44 am

I watched the video where he pushed the guy, it wasn't so bad, I don't know why their bitching… it's a contact sport… of course everybody's has to be decent and a gentleman.. but when you have crazy fans jumping over you all the time shit happens

3. hosan

September 17, 2010 at 6:55 pm

it's a contact sport inside the cage, and nowhere else. the guy wasn't an annoying fan, he was a ref. Fighters need to be under control at all times, not just when it suits them.

Don't get me wrong, he shouldn't be suspended indefinitely. That's a bit harsh. You just don't need to be pushing refs.

4. P4P #1 Fan

September 18, 2010 at 10:02 am

He should have continued to fight the ref…maybe he could win against him. This really only matters to him at this point because the reality is that he is a declining fighter that may be done. He had a couple of good wins but he has now lost 5 in a row and 7 of his last 9 fights. I don't even think that Strikeforce would want him.

5. Miko

September 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Dumb move. fine and suspention? Sure.

indefinite suspension? C'mon wtf guys.

6. CobraClutch

September 18, 2010 at 2:07 pm

No biggie

He can use the time to re-invent himself…again

7. MMA Trainer

September 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Jardine was just in a zone did not realize what he was doing. Prob thought ref was trying to give him a tittie twister.

8. Flying Armbar

September 19, 2010 at 9:11 am

I don't buy that he was in a zone. It looks like he brushed off the ref a first time and then came back and pushed him. I would buy the idea that he was in a zone if he just went through with the brushing, but there was no excuse for the shoving. I agree with P4P, this guys is done anyway. No big deal, nobody is going to sign him anyway after another loss.