Ken Shamrock Responds To Steroid Allegations

Updated: March 25, 2008

ken shamrock and ryan shamrock elitexc

A statement sent to MMAJunkie:

During a recent interview with MMA Madness, Frank Shamrock stated that I have used steroids “my whole life.” In making such a reckless and irresponsible statement, Frank has attacked my character. As such, I unfortunately find it necessary to respond to his allegations. I’m not sure what his motives were, but Frank’s allegations are absolutely false.

During the interview, Frank also comments on the percentage of fighters that are allegedly using steroids, promoters that supposedly don’t care about their fighters unless they win, and the industry’s drug testing policies, or lack thereof. I would like to set the record straight.

Our sport has policies in place to deter steroid use and to weed out the guys that, as my brother says, “…are taking shortcuts to gain fame.” I have been subjected to mandatory steroid testing countless times, and I have never tested positive for steroids, nor have I ever refused a test. Furthermore, my experience has always been that the promoters and fighters willingly comply with the drug testing mandated by the various athletic commissions.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has always administered steroid and drug testing for licensed fighters. Recently, in an effort to further strengthen steroid testing policies, the NSAC implemented short-notice drug testing for MMA fighters. Fighters are now required to test at fixed times during the year, and are also randomly tested. Commissions in other states have similar policies in place. These policies clearly work as fighters occasionally do test positive and the penalties are significant.

For Frank to state that a majority of fighters use steroids and that the promoters do not care, or that they somehow condone the use of steroids, is unbelievably irresponsible. It tarnishes the image of every fighter and promoter in this industry. The comments Frank made about me and about the industry itself are based purely on his personal opinion, not on facts.

Frank should acknowledge that his comments were without merit and irresponsible, and apologize for the disparaging remarks he has made towards the fighters, promoters, and to the various athletic commissions who regulate MMA.

March 25, 2008 at 6:45 am

ha

2. Dave

March 25, 2008 at 7:38 am

That was written by a lawyer not shamrock. Interesting note the "response" only says he never tested positive, not he never used or is not now using steroids.

3. jayger

March 25, 2008 at 7:39 am

"I have been subjected to mandatory steroid testing countless times, and I have never tested positive for steroids, nor have I ever refused a test."

His statement falls conveniently short of a denial. Basically, it seems like he is saying "I've never been caught"

Do they make a steroid to fix old?

4. derek

March 25, 2008 at 7:56 am

ken obviously used steroids. no way a guy's arm and neck can grow so big, while the penis shrinks so small. only steroids. ken was just very careful and knew how when the cycle off. it's like weed; if you stay off of it for 30 days, it will cycle out of your system and you will test negative; sadly, kendall grove didn't know this. but bj penn did! ken needs to get his boy, ryan shamrock, to get on the juice. he is so skinny that i fear for his life when he competes in mma.

March 25, 2008 at 9:02 am

dude i get tested for weed by my po every month and i still smoke and i just stop smoke for 1 week before my test and i still pass all you have to do is work out hard and burn the THC that is stuck in your fat cells

6. Mac

March 26, 2008 at 3:52 am

You obviously know Jack and Shit about steroids yourself. It is this kind of ignorant rambling of blah,blah,blah that makes me want to throw up. Just because youre a pencil neck doesn't mean that every guy with 18+" biceps is a juicer dipshit! And the smaller pee pee is crap. It "may" make your testicles atrophy temporarily. Andro-gel aka Testosterone is used to treat micro-penis, why because one effect is "penile enlargement". You need to do a little reasearch before you start regurgitating shit on these boards that you know nothing about. Have a nice day!

7. Seventy

May 15, 2009 at 5:28 pm

In hindsight, Ken is looking pretty silly for testing postive for Stanozolol (Sean Sherk's drug of choice).

One year suspension by the CSAC could be career ending for him.

Good luck Ken, I always enjoyed your fights and man, you sure traded your good health for our entertainment.

May 16, 2009 at 12:03 am