Kendall Grove Likes To Get High

Updated: January 9, 2008

kendall grove

In a recent interview with CagePotato, Kendall Grove expresses his love for the herbal cure.

Do you think marijuana should still be a banned substance for mixed martial artists?
I don’t think so. It’s definitely not an enhancement drug. [laughs]

I don’t think so. See, marijuana is a touchy subject. I’m a rock star – I’ve been smoking weed since I was in the 6th grade, I can openly say that. But I’m also clean when I fight. I cut that shit out – I’m a professional. Don’t get me wrong, my first six fights, I fought high, I fought stoned. But when you get to this level, you have to take responsibility. It’s your job. I stop doing that stuff three months out. I just think they blew it way out of proportion. What did they say with Nick Diaz? “Oh, him smoking weed made his pain threshold higher–”

It’s stupid. Steroids actually make you run faster, make you stronger – it’s a performance enhancer. And weed just makes you gain weight and be lazy. [laughs]

On the 14th, and I’m staying until the 24th. Right after my fight, I’m going to Amsterdam.

[laughs] I’ll be killing two birds with one stone.

Kendall Grove takes on Jorge Rivera at UFC 80 on January 19 at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle, England.

1. derek

January 9, 2008 at 11:43 am

i think this just sets a bad example for professional MMA fighters. if they want to smoke it up, that's fine. just don't announce it to the whole world and let little kids know that i smoked up and still made it. im sure kendall and bj penn like to hang out together.

2. BRANDON

January 9, 2008 at 12:11 pm

i just dont see anything wrong with them saying they smoke weed, if theyt like it go ahead and blaze up fellas. Little kids arent influenced by this as much as people think, my little bro and all his friends know about BJ and they still said they didtn care/ didnt make them even think about smoking weed

3. Realwun

January 9, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Neither the UFC or Grove ever promoted him as a role model so I'm not worried about what example he's setting. He says something stupid in every interview and this is nothing new. But I agree with him when he says is stupid for anyone to think getting high can make you a better fighter, bulls#it. As long as Grove is a professional in the ring thats all that matters to the kids for the most part.

4. dredlokrasta

January 9, 2008 at 2:25 pm

ROCK ON!!!

5. dane drebin

January 9, 2008 at 6:06 pm

hence him gettin stopped in round one of his last fight and never going to hold the title

6. JOE

January 9, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Winning or losing a competition has nothing to do with smoking marijuana 3 months earlier. I don't care if this guy smokes or if he tells my kids he smokes. As long as he's not fighting high (because it's against the rules) it doesn't matter to me whatsoever.

7. dane drebin

January 9, 2008 at 7:53 pm

i know but i think anyone who smokes pot while being a professional fighter is stupid as shit… why try to bring urself down… i would want every edge possible if it is what i do to make a living. im not knocking anyone who smokes pot because i used to in highschool im just sayin thats my oppinion

8. roy

January 10, 2008 at 3:07 am

i don't see anything wrong with smoking weed, but i do agree he should have just kept it to himself.

9. steve

January 10, 2008 at 7:44 pm

this just adds to the reputation of hawaiians getting high. When the Penn issue was being argued someone said "just cuz he is hawaiin doesnt mean he smokes" well no it dont mean that but u can certainly think it lol. Pot is dumb as fuck, Basically if u smoke pot u are weak minded. It is mentally addicting not physhically addicting so if u cant stop smoking u are weak. I know there is gonna be 100 comments on this calling me a dumbass from al u pot head pussies. I just wish I could have u say it to my face:)

10. roy

January 11, 2008 at 4:54 am

dam steve your ready fight over it

11. kom34

January 11, 2008 at 5:38 am

i really dont care if someone smokes pot. people drink all the time and that isn't good for you either. but if i was a fighter, i would consider my lifestyle just as important as my training. if i made a living in mma i would definitely eat right and stay away from alcohol and pot. if any fighter wants to f themselves over or work extra hard to overcome the downsides of there addictions, let them. its their career.

12. dane drebin

January 16, 2008 at 5:06 pm

fuck ya steve finally someone who thinks pot is stupid as fuck like me. i also agree with u kom34 it only helps the fighters who dont use it. i would hope all the people i was going to fight would get high it would make them weaker and slower

13. JOE

January 16, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Pot is stupid as fuck like you? You shouldn't be so hard on yourself Dane. I don't think you're stupid as fuck. Steve on the other hand is a little dumb….j/k

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I thought exactly the way you guys did, until I educated myself on the subject. Eventually, I believe it will be legal. Then what? Will it still be stupid when it's socially acceptable? There are a lot of things most of us do in life that are far worse than marijuana just because they are socially acceptable. Just think about all the prescribed narcotics for pain athletes take that are far more addictive not to mention harmful. Of course people aren't making a huge deal out of that now are they? How many people here smoke cigarettes? I'm not supporting its use, nor am I asking anyone to smoke marijuana. I'm just asking for you guys to do some research with an open mind and start thinking outside the box before you start condemning it. You shouldn't condemn something you don't understand.

14. Kent

January 16, 2008 at 11:21 pm

I agree with Joe here he's got a lot of good points. So Steve whose weak minded? Oh and to you or dane I'd be more than happy to put the gloves on and show you what a former "pothead" can do in the cage. But I don't expect thats gonna happen…But yeah your right Steve I'm probably just a pothead pussy…have a good one oh and to all the smokers blaze one up for me cause I cant no more…

Kent "Sly" Stevens 2007 Summer Showdown Modern Army Combatives Welterweight Champion….US ARMY STRONG