Kimbo Slice Better Suited For Boxing?

Updated: March 17, 2009

petruzelli-kimbo

Former EliteXC headliner, Kimbo Slice (3-1) talks with The Nassau Guardian about whats next in his fighting career.

“Boxing is really my first desire. I have a lot of love for it and believe I can do pretty well. [The sport of] MMA is somewhat of a project for me. Boxing is one dimensional while there are a lot of dimensions in MMA. I don’t think it would be a hard transition from MMA to stand-up boxing because of my fighting style …. Not taking anything away from boxing preparation, MMA training is extremely hard …. When you consider martial arts training, you have to prepare for kicks to the head and legs, and opponents wanting to grapple and throwing you to the ground, pounding you with their knees and hands, whereas in boxing you just have to be prepared to weave and bob although the training can be just as intense. At this point in my career, I want to take that same drive and focus that I invested in MMA and put that into training for pro-boxing cards.”

Slice has two more fights on his current MMA contract.

“Furthermore, I have two more MMA fights scheduled before this year is out. Every fighter and athlete knows that you should not switch camps in the middle of something. Also, I train in Florida. My MMA trainer will also be training me for stand up boxing. Finishing up my contract would allow me to be a free agent,”

“The last two fights that I have left in MMA don’t have set dates,” he said. “Everything normally gets set up six to eight weeks prior to the fight. Nearer to that point I would be told the particulars like who my opponent is and where the fight would be. With boxing, you can have a fight on Monday and if you are well you can have another fight the following week. Before the month is out, you would have already fought on several cards. In MMA, whether you are well or not, there is a six-week waiting period before you can engage in any other battle.

“In some cases, if you are too far advanced in promoting a MMA fight, anything can happen to the fighter. A fighter can get an injury, causing him to pull out of the fight; like Shamrock [MMA fighter Ken Shamrock] getting a cut above his eye and backing out at the last minute. That left me having to fight an opponent who I knew nothing about. If the fight is called off then it would mean bad business for that promoter and that also affected me,”

While a lot of Kimbo fans might be disappointed if he turns away from MMA, his fighting style is better suited for boxing.

1. roy

March 17, 2009 at 4:10 am

boxing won't help his chin though.

2. jake

March 17, 2009 at 4:15 am

yeah seth petrozelli mowed through him like he was nothing, i say that going to boxing would be better for him though, I guess we will have to see how his next two fights go

do you think that this will afefect his training ?

3. Ryan S

March 17, 2009 at 7:20 am

Roy is right, I don't think he will do that good in boxing either. He was dropped by an off balance jab. I don't know, maybe he should stick to youtube fights.

March 17, 2009 at 8:17 am

idk The gloves are bigger and alot easyer to block so i think His pussy chin will be fine haha

5. roy

March 17, 2009 at 8:44 am

i think ryan is right, he can be king of the backyard brawls but pro boxers are going to have there way with him.they will probally feed him a few bums and squeeze him for every drop they can but once he fights anyone half way decent he won't do well.put him in with aa that would be fun.

6. Tim

March 18, 2009 at 12:55 am

Someone is being a PUSSY!!!! AWW MMA got to be to intense for you Bimbo…i know he cried after the Seth fight and was like shit this is too much work and i got KTFO by a low class fighter i will never make it with the top guys….well NO shit Kimbo your a washed up Bum who CANT FIGHT!!!! You so fucking one dimensional its sick…Pro Boxers will walk right through you but again i am sure he will start off facing Joe nobody from Nowhere and when he again faces anyone with a bit of credibility they will walk right through him. Kimbo is an insult to MMA and to Boxing Shit he is worthless and go back to backyard fighting.

7. T.R.

March 18, 2009 at 1:12 am

yep, that is right on. A good heavy weight boxer will throw jabs alot harder than seth p did to kimbo, over and over and over again. THis will end up bad for kimbo. Good, mma does not need this type of fighter.

8. russell

May 20, 2009 at 11:32 pm

tim your a hater let him do what he wants it seems like your crying about it more then anyone els its not your life so let him do what he wants if he sucks in boxing then so be it its not you now is it? damm people act like kimbo is a rat in a dumpster n tim can go suck hiself dush fukk