M-1 Mix Fight Press Conference (Updated)

Updated: October 22, 2007
M-1 Mix Fight

M-1 Mix Fight

M-1 Mix Fight promotion is having a press conference today in New York, we will have the latest news coming out of the press conference starting at 5:30 EST. M-1 is the company that signed Fedor Emilianenko, details of his contract are expected to be clarified today.

Key News

• Monte Cox, a 13-year veteran of the mixed martial arts industry named CEO of the New York based company M-1 Global, LLC. Cox is the Agent to 60 big name fighters notably Matt Hughes, Tim Sylvia, Rich Franklin, Jens, Pulver, Robbie Lawler, Jey Heiron, Ben Rothwell.
  • M-1 was bought by Sibling Sports LLC, a subsidiary of Sibling Entertainment Group Holdings, Inc.
  • M-1 will follow PRIDE FC Rules, No elbows.
  • PRIDE FC Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko has signed a six fight two year deal with M-1.
  • Emilianenko, UFC turned down offer to have Fedor face then current UFC Champion Tim Sylvia.
  • Emilianenko’s contract will allow him to fight in the UFC if a deal can be hammered out. M-1 representatives state the winner of the bout could win 1 Million dollar payday.
  • Fedor’s brother Alexander was offered a UFC contract, but the offer was way to low.
  • M-1 First event could be as early as February
  • More M-1 fighters will be announced in the next 10 days.

The video of the Press Conference can be seen here.

1. Lee Williams

October 23, 2007 at 3:35 am

I guess I dont understand why Fedor is still considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world. He has only had 6 fights since 2004, while 2004 was a big year for him his only real big time fight since then has been agianst Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (which he won). Now we all have seen that Mirko is not the same fighter he once was and watched many of what was considered the best in Pride come to the UFC and loose. When will the UFC get the respect it deserves? With Fedor signing with M-1 it sure seems like he or his management team is trying to avoid fighting the best in the world. What does everyone else think?

2. Realwun

October 23, 2007 at 3:39 am

I agree that he can't be the best pound for pound because he hasn't fought a true heavyweight name in a while. I would say that he is 4th still behind Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, and GSP. But you can't teach some of the physical and mental talent that guy has so I still think he is that damn good.

The UFC is great but with some competition, it will raise its game to a whole new level. And the fighters will get the money they deserve, from undercards on up. Personally, I can't wait to see what M1 is going to do, I like what I'm hearing so far.

3. Robert

October 23, 2007 at 6:33 am

No, Mirko is not the best in Pride. A lost by Mirko and you're generalizing that Pride is worse than Underpaid Cheap Fighters! Who are you kidding? Hmm…didn't Silva (Pride) beat THE BEST IN UFC (FRANKLIN) or Rampage beat THE BEST IN UFC (LIDDELL)???

4. steve

October 23, 2007 at 10:43 pm

ok Rich franklin is not that good to be honest with you. He is very overrated. I mean he is good but he is not close to being great. Its obvious that is the ufcs weakest division. I mean Anderson is good but if henderson dropped down i think silva would lose the belt. And chuck liddell had really never fought anybody that was a good stand up fighter. The ufc made sure of it. He fought all ground game guys because thats who he can knock out. But when Chuck fights a guy like rampage henderson or even wanderlei he will lose. They have more cardio and better chins than chuck.So chuck is not and never was the best in the world.

5. steve

October 23, 2007 at 10:48 pm

ok and now about fedor.

1.He is the #1 heavyweight in the world without a doubt

2.There is no reason that he souldnt be.

3.He has never lost b4 except for a (cut) loss which doesnt really count. The fact is that fedor will come into any organization and dominate. He is great at stand up and on the ground. He is gret at transitions and he can take a punch,kick and can survive being slammed on his neck by a 235lb. man of all muscle nicknamed "the monster". So if he isnt #1 who is Randy? Barnett?lol I dont think so.

6. Lee Williams

October 23, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Here is the real question. What does everyone watch when they watch MMA? Answer: UFC

They are the top dogs and they do put on good fights. Im tired of talking about Fedor, Randy, Pride, etc. If Pride was realy that good it would not have folded. Part of the MMA package is the organization that is running the shows, please dont tell me you are happy watching BoDog Fights or these cheap pay-per view fights were ex-so-so-football players pretend to be MMA fighters and get knocked out by some guy you have never heard of before. I just want to watch quality fights, with good production values, good, interesting announcers. I like the fighters and the fights on UFC and I like the UFC. They offer me something others cant/dont/wont, the opportunity to watch MMA fighting several times a week and watch quality pay-per views, that I dont mind paying for or regret when it is over, every two to three months, sometimes more often. I guess what I am trying to say is; lets stop talking about troubled fighters, troubled organizations, money, and all the other BS that has ruined boxing and make sure we support the few organizations that offer us quality products and are readily available to watch. If UFC was to go away it would be like the dark ages again, no good pay-per view, no weekly show airings, no best offs, no MMA. The UFC has brought the sport of MMA to were it is, everyone else is riding their cote tails. We should apprieciate what we have and support it so it does not go away. To me it would be like loosing a hot girlfriend, you know, you get a big head, forget to treat her right, the next thing you know she is gone and your left with your hand.

MMA rules.

Thank you, UFC.

7. Lee Williams

October 23, 2007 at 11:36 pm

OK, I give, what ever you want. Fedor is the best heavy weight champ and the best pound for pound MMA fighter in the world. Who you never get to see fight, who is now working for organizations that lacks quality fighters in his weight class (at least for now), and decided that money was worth more to him then the sport we all love so much. Yes, I am a little greedy, but shouldnt I be? I am the one who will have to pay $50 to watch Fedor fight someone I have never heard off with under card fights that I can see in a bar room brawl, ala Slice vs. Tank. What does Fedor get, a few million. Sure does not seem like a fair trade off. I just want to watch good fights and the UFC gives me that. Until someone other then the UFC comes along that can do that I will be watching UFC. Guess I could watch Pride, oh no I cant, they no longer exist.

Watching is a lot better then talking. If you cant touch a boob, isnt it better to see one then to just talk about one?

8. clempene

October 25, 2007 at 2:54 am

Wow! M-1 putting alot of faith on 1 fighter is kinda a crazy. Say Fedor loses his first fight. Then what? How do you market a fighter like Fedor in America, being how tough and credical we americans are , man talk about pressure on Fedor to bring it everytime he fights. Cause I tell you this, once he loses theres go's his marketablity and reputation. Kinda a dangerous thing to say (He's the best in the world) and not come though, is really taking chance on a company that is basically an upstart. I'll tell you this. Mich and Monte got there work ahead of them and The UFC isnt going anywhere soon. Cause if you ask me The UFC is a hard act to follow let alone beat. And I just dont see Mich and Monte doing it. Take it. They have some good ideas, but are those ideas good enough. Maybe, maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see. So as far as M-1 go's. I say this. Good luck, your going to need it. Cause like Mich said at the conference. Everybody has an underdog and underdogs win. So the question is. Who's Fedor's underdog? And if Mich is right and an underdog wins .He wont just be beating Fedor he'll be beating M-1.

9. Morey

October 25, 2007 at 4:43 am

You're right, M1 needs to sign as many known names as they can. If they can make their show look like Pride that will automatically get fan support, I know they already have Pride rules adopted.

Theres the old saying that you learn more from a loss than a victory and I believe that. When Fedor does lose watch out, he is going to come back hungry and better than ever.