Mac Danzig Looking To Get Past The “Gatekeeper” For A Chance At The Belt

mac-danzig-ufc

mac-danzig-ufc-guida

Mac Danzig talks about his upcoming fight with Clay Guida at UFC Fight Night “Omaha” in September.

“I have no animosity towards him, I have a lot of respect for him — it’s just one of those things where he’s an awesome competitor and I can’t wait to get in there to fight him. It’s a huge fight for me. It’s the biggest one I’ve had and I’m looking forward to it.”

“I feel he’s that gatekeeper to the Top 10 or Top 5 in the lightweight division. I think he’s put himself in that position by being one of the best fighters in the UFC. He’s had a couple really close decisions and that (Roger) Huerta loss set him back a little bit. Those minor setbacks have stopped him from actually fighting for the title, but he’s right up there….The UFC is throwing him at me to see what I can do. If I get past him that automatically puts me in a position where everyone knows that I’m the real deal and I’m ready to make a run for the title in another year or two. If I don’t get past him, it’s one of those things where it definitely sets me back.

He’s a wrestler, but he doesn’t stall, and he’s just 100 percent intensity all the time, so it should be fun. I think I’m the smarter fighter, more technical, and I know I can beat him. I’m 100 percent confident; I wouldn’t have taken it if I didn’t think I could win.”

TG: MMAWeekly

Total 0 Votes

Tell us how can we improve this post?

+ = Verify Human or Spambot ?

June 30, 2008 at 3:02 am

its going to be a very good fight and i cant wait to see it and idk i like them both alot so its idc who wins but idk its going to be a war

2. roy

June 30, 2008 at 3:04 am

this one should be a war, guida always brings it

3. Rayburn

June 30, 2008 at 3:40 am

It will be a battle, but i have it going to danzig by decision or submission. He is just more technical then Guida.

June 30, 2008 at 6:18 am

idk i think mac will take him down fast or mac will use his hands

5. Nichole Lesniak

June 30, 2008 at 6:22 am

Something about Guida just bothers me – I can't put my finger on it.

But still..I've always been a fan of Danzig (which I've taken a lot of abuse for). He can be a total jerkoff, but he's a good fighter. I definitely have this fight going to Mac.

6. Morey

June 30, 2008 at 10:05 am

I agree with Rayburns prediction.

7. erik

June 30, 2008 at 11:15 am

you cant count guida out the man has an iron chin and has a furious pace…it's a toss up fight on whoever executes their gameplan the best

8. boricua

June 30, 2008 at 8:07 pm

WOW! Now this is gonna be a fight.

9. whodini

June 30, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Guida in two . not sure if Danzig can keep up the pace as well as Guida

10. jcdemtl

June 30, 2008 at 9:57 pm

a top 5 cerebral fighter.

all else being equal- smarts brings it home!

11. steve

June 30, 2008 at 10:48 pm

This fight is very interesting. It could be a war a totally one sided fight for either or it could get stopped by submission in under a minute. All i know is that its gonna be fun to watch.Guida does lack in the stand up department though and I think Danzig will submit him.

12. whodini

July 1, 2008 at 10:26 am

well put steve

13. derek

July 1, 2008 at 11:32 am

both fighters are really good. mac has the experience and skill. guida has more speed, but also evenly skilled. he hasn't won in the ufc yet, but his losses were all wars and narrow thin to very good fighters — i.e. roger huerta. so this is a toss up.

July 1, 2008 at 12:27 pm

firrst of what are you talking about derek clay does have wins in the ufc retard..

Sec clay has more experience because he has been in the ufc for like almost 2 years and he has fight some of the best 155 in the worl like josh thomps, Melendz,tryson,roger, and some more really good fighters