Matt Hughes Knee Injury Could Keep Him Out Of Action For 6-7 Months

Updated: July 23, 2008
Matt Hughes injured

Matt Hughes injured

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes announced that he will likely not be fighting for 6-7 months, due to a knee injury he suffered during his loss to Thiago Alves at UFC 85.

Went to the doctor yesterday, he performed quite a few tests on my knee. With the results of the tests on my knee and from what I have told him, he definitely thinks the MCL and the PCL is rebuilding itself. The next time I go back up there, in a month to a month and a half, I will get an MRI and that way he can get a picture of the knee and he can see better what’s going on. So right now, I’m going to work out lightly, try and build up my quadricep as much as I can. Do nothing with the hamstring really, from what he said and he says possibly being able to fight in 6-7 months.

1. Nate Fury

July 23, 2008 at 1:13 am

I want to see Hughes fight Serra when he returns from his injury.

2. Ryan S

July 23, 2008 at 3:29 am

yeah. I hope the injury doesn't bother him. I kind of want to see the best Hughes can give. I'm not a big fan of his, but he is arguably a legend.

3. STEVEO

July 23, 2008 at 4:01 am

Well, I can say that if Hughes goes out I would like to see it on a win and not only on a win but smashing that loud mouths face all over the canvas. I loved watching GSP punish him and I will enjoy watching hughes do the same.

4. Kash

July 23, 2008 at 4:22 am

I like Hughes and Serra so I want to see that fight happen. It sucks that it keeps on getting pushed back.

5. roy

July 23, 2008 at 4:47 am

they do need to settle that one, i hope he has at least that fight in him still.

6. mhm`

July 23, 2008 at 7:22 am

i think they both need one more fight before this…..so they're both not rusty…. and hughes has no excuse when serra smashs him…. at this point I just dont think hughes has it in him and serra will either knock him out early or it will go to decision…. the point of it is serra is here to stay and hughes is on his way out…. even tho i dont care much for hughes he needs to go out on a victory… maby to his brother?

7. dane drebin

July 23, 2008 at 7:43 am

i actually like serra i think he's funny but i dont know if he has it in him to beat hughes

8. roy

July 23, 2008 at 7:44 am

i like serra but if he stays at 170 i don't see him doing much, after this fight he needs to drop down to 155 where he belongs and it might lengthen his career.

9. Fedor Emelianenko DV

July 23, 2008 at 7:57 am

Man, I guess it means yet another delay in Hughes-Serra fight. I hope Matt Hughes doesn't decide to retire in the meantime and we'll still get to see this fight.

10. kom34

July 23, 2008 at 1:22 pm

hughes won't retire on a loss…no way. i'm more worried about serra retiring.