Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson Likely At UFC 92

mauricio shogun rua

PRIDE superstar Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will likely return to the cage and face former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 92 in December, according to the Brazilian news magazine Tatame.

“I’m back to training. I’m doing some Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu stuff, and thanks God everything is fine now”

“I’ll be back in December… They said that I might fight with Quinton Jackson, but nothing has been signed yet.

“They (UFC) called me and offered a fight with him (Rampage) and I accepted, but they didn’t say anything else more”

(Quinton’s Legal Problems) “can be a problem, but I want him back in December and against me, and I believe he can be back”

Rua holds a first round KO win over the former champion back at PRIDE’S – Total Elimination 2005.

Both fighter coming off a loss to the UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin and their past history together, the matchup makes sense for the UFC.

Whether Rampage’s legal issues will prevent him from competing, it is to early to say.

1. Andre

August 25, 2008 at 3:53 am

This is the best news so far Shogun is one of the best all around fighters in the game , if his recovery is good he will end up taking the UFC light weight belt at some point if he fights Jackson it will be a great rematch from there fight at pride. i hope he ends up fighting Sokoudjou who recently called him out.

2. kom34

August 25, 2008 at 8:51 am

this is a rematch i've been waiting for. its going to be a great fight. i wonder if the old shogun is going to show up.

3. Ryan S

August 25, 2008 at 10:39 am

Yeah, this should be good. I hope Shogun is a little more active than he was against Griffin

August 25, 2008 at 12:17 pm

good fight..

5. T.R.

August 25, 2008 at 12:50 pm

this is why i love the ufc. both rampage and rua are coming off upsets, injuries, and legal problems and the ufc will not give them tune up fights. the ufc makes them earn their superstar status unlike elitexc. this is gona be a killer fight.

6. steve

August 25, 2008 at 4:30 pm

When they fought the first time rampage had a damaged rib from training for the fight which got broken in the fight and thats why the rampage we seen was not the same as usual. This fight will be much different. I see Rampage winning this one without a doubt. Shoguns style doesnt blend well with UFC. A lot of the stuff he was successful with in Pride is illegal in the UFC. He has too much of a brawler like style and that agressiveness he had in Pride u cant do in the UFC. It just doesnt work unless ur Wanderlei Silva. But this should still be a great fight and Shogun is a very ggod fighter but the belt he will NEVER have. I remember when he was about to fight fight Forrest and everyone said he was going to win. LOL I told eveyone I even won money on that fight. There was a survey on sherdog asking if he would have the belt by the end of the year or not and it was like 80% to 20% for him to have the belt. Haha guess that was wrong. But I hope they dont just use this fight and put a couple of mediocre fighters lke Joe Stevenson as the co mainevent.

7. Josh Hamlin

August 26, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Wow, this guy is calling Joe Stevenson a mediocre fighter. Kid comes out and shows the heart that he did against THE BEST in the world and now he's mediocre. Jese, that's harsh.

8. steve

August 26, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Just b/c u show that ur not a complete pussy by not quitting doesnt make u a good fighter. Stevenson cant beat any top fighters and thats y he is mediocre smart guy

9. Josh Hamlin

August 27, 2008 at 4:30 am

Okay, here are Joe Stevensons accomplishments. You decide.

TUF 2 welterweight winner. KOTC welter and lightweight Champion, ROF welterweight champ, RITC welterweight champ, GC RITC welterweight champ

I guess you must think Gleason Tibau is a chump too. Joe choked him out in his first fight after having lost to Penn.