MMA Rumor: Fedor Emilianenko VS. Jeff Monson?

Updated: October 26, 2007

jeff monson vs. fedor emilianenko

According to a recent article on Sherdog, Fedor Emilianenko is rumored to be fighting Jeff Monson in his first fight under the M-1 Global promotion. The article quoted a recent interview Monson did with with Roguemag.com while promoting MMA in Auckland, New Zealand. The First M-1 Global event is rumored to take place in February.

Nothing sounds signed, but it looks like M-1 is looking to get a well known fighter to fight Fedor. Monson is not a top ten heavyweight, but he is well know by fans all over the world.

“very good possibility of fighting the Russian” and also said he is “in the process of working through things with M-1.”

1. onri

October 26, 2007 at 6:47 am

I think this is a good intro fight. I have a lot of respect for Monson.

2. crynot

October 26, 2007 at 7:40 am

I agree. I'd love to see that fight. Monson isn't a pushover by any means and I think it will be a great to re-jumpstart Fedor and potentially ( I don't see it happening) catapult Monson.

Could you imagine if Monson won that fight. It would deflate Fedors hype.

3. Kash

October 26, 2007 at 8:19 am

If Monson beat Fedor I would have my mouth open like I did when Serra beat GSP, I never saw that coming.

4. steve

October 26, 2007 at 3:55 pm

this is a good fight? How so? Monson isnt even top 10 in the world in his own division and he is fighting who many consider the #1 fighter in the world and quite possibly the best mma fighter of all times. If they fight Fedor will toy with him. Pedro Rizzo beat Monson by KO recently!! I do not want to pay 50 bucks to see fedor destroy a guy who didnt deserve a shot at him in the first place. Fedor is at a spot in his career where he should only be fighting the best. Because he hasnt really ever faced a challenge. Atleast not that could pose a very dangerous threat.So I just dont see how u could say this is a good fight?? ANd by the way Monson cant beat Fedor!! EVER

5. crynot

October 27, 2007 at 1:12 am

I also don't think Monson can or will be Fedor, however, look what Monson did with Tim Silvia – he went the distance and stood with him.

I'm just saying that Monson isn't a push over. I agree that Fedor is the best, however, he hasn't fought very many fights in the last few years. I mean who knows. Like Kash said – who would have thought Serra (not really a top ten) would catch GSP – remember it only takes one strike to the chin and anyone can drop – look at Rampage and Chuck- hell look at Chuck and Jardine.

So thats why I still stay this would be a good fight. I don't see Monson getting toyed with.

6. steve

October 27, 2007 at 2:26 am

I wasnt surprised about the rampage liddell fight cuz i had watched Rampage since his days in pride. I knew he could throw some bombs and i also knew that chuck keeps his hands down at his waist.I feel that chuck was overrated because he had really never beat a guy that had great stand up and still hasnt. The UFC didnt want to put him in with a guy who can knock him out u know. And I think we are seeing that now. He went from posterboy to delivery boy in 2 fights. I mean die hard fans will believe that he is still the best but even they prolly have a hard time saying he can beat Rampage now. And Tim Sylvia isnt better than fedor in any way. Ground stand up it desnt matter. I just dont see how beating monson gives fedor a good win. I mean its really a gimme fight. Like CroCops first fight in the UFC against Eddie Sanchez.

7. Morey

October 27, 2007 at 4:38 am

Chuck doesn't have a chin of iron so yeah, he can get knocked out, but he does have a pretty good chin. He would probably lose to Henderson too because I have no idea what would knock that guy out. As far as striking, here are not many that can counterpunch like him. You can look at it like football, he isn't the best passer, but he is the best passer on the run.

I had respect for Jardine going into that fight because I know he has one of the best chins in the UFC so I thought Chuck was going to have to work hard for the knockout. But I think Chuck was already damaging Jardine more than he was getting damaged, so I think if it was a 5 round fight he would have found a way to finish Jardine.

Sylvia is good for the same reason Shaq is good, he is physically hard to match up with. Shaq can't make a shot outside of 5 feet but he's been dominant for a long time. Unless they make a superheavyweight division above like 245 lbs., then I'm going to continue to respect Sylvia as an underrated heavyweight.

Monson doesn't have a great chance at winning but Fedor is not going to one punch that guy. It will be a good test and for all of those UFC mma fans, they will get to see what Fedor is made of matched up against someone they know. M1 chose a good intro fight, Monson is no Eddie Sanchez and he won't be afraid of Fedor.

8. crynot