Former Cage Rage world champion Paul “Semtex” Daley had a lot to say to Fighters Only Magazine about the threats by Pro Elite to force him off the Cage Warriors card this Saturday Night.
UPDATE: Paul Daley defeats Bojan Kosednar via KO at 4:53 in the first round.
Here’s the rant:
“They tried to get me to fight for Cage Rage, which I wasn’t going to do on the principle that I’ve agreed to fight in my hometown….They’ve gone about it in a not so pleasant way, I think they could have gone about it a lot better. I can’t say much more for legal reasons but I think Cage Rage have had a lot to do with it.”
“There wasn’t a problem initially, but then other people, outside sources, got involved. Me just fighting on Cage Warriors didn’t seem to be a problem, then there was a date clash with Cage Rage, a lot of fans think the Cage Rage card is not as strong as it has been in the past.”
“I am the Cage Rage world champion, but I don’t have a contract with them. As the champion, what they were offering me to fight and how they were treating me was not how I feel I should be treated considering what I’ve achieved.”
“I know Cage Warriors and Cage Rage are rival promotions but I have no loyalty to Cage Rage as there’s no contract there. Before Pro Elite got hold of the reigns at Cage Rage, they [Cage Rage] didn’t really wanna know who I was. I was always an upset for them, me winning both belts, me beating their poster boys, and you know, it’s just one of those things. Now I’m getting a bit of recognition and moving away from them, they’re realising their fans don’t give a fuck about their fighters and it was really me who was putting bums on seats. They’ve lost one of their star fighters.”
“They’ve basically said if I fight it’s going to be in the hands of the legal team. I hope that I can work it out with Pro Elite, on a personal level they’re good people.”
“I tried to explain to them, this is a full-time job for me. I need to fight to get money, they did offer me to fight on Cage Rage on the same day, for a number of reasons I can’t list, I didn’t take that. On a personal level, I felt that I had already agreed to fight for Cage Warriors so that was what I was going to do.”
“They [Pro Elite] did offer me a fight on the July 26th card against Rory Markham, who we all know has signed with the UFC, so I thought it was a ploy to stop me fighting on Cage Warriors. I felt that if I had accepted the fight, they would have just cancelled on me.”
“A lot of other guys had fought twice in the same month for two different promotions, a non-Pro Elite and then a Pro Elite event — I said look, I’ll fight July 12th and I’ll fight July 26th, not a problem. I feel confident in this fight and all being well I would get out uninjured and with a victory and I’d fly straight to America. They didn’t want to hear any of that.”
“If I had been Nick Diaz, it wouldn’t have been a problem. The guy smokes weed, starts riots on TV, doesn’t make weight, fights whoever the fuck he wants, and there’s no problem there. It’s a bit of a piss-take really.”
“I’m gonna fight 100%. Cage Warriors are behind me, I said I’m going to fight no matter what, nothing is going to stop me from fighting on this event. A lot of people, a lot of friends and family are going to be there, I’ve trained really hard, my whole team’s had a good ten week training camp. I’m really looking forward to fighting for Cage Warriors.”
“I went with Pro Elite because I thought they thought of the fighters, but this has just been a major problem.”