Roger Huerta Turns Down UFC Contract, Pursuing Acting

Updated: January 9, 2009
huerta

huerta

UFC lightweight fighter Roger “The Matador” Huerta (20-2-1) has apparently turn down a five fight contract extension with the UFC, so that he may pursue acting opportunities in 2009.

“I’m not burned out [with fighting] … I have one fight left with the UFC and I want to honor that. As soon as they tell me to fight, I’ll fight my last fight on the contract.”

After getting bit by the bug last summer shooting a role in the film “Tekken,” Huerta said the timing felt right to tackle a wholly different challenge.

“I saw that you have to dedicate as much as you do to training for a fight as you do for an acting role and I’m intrigued by that … I’m 25 years old. I see Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture and they didn’t really hit their primes till their thirties. I’m only going to be young so long and I know that movies and agencies and what not want the young look.”

Does “The Matador” plan to ever return to fighting and the UFC:

“The UFC is my home and it is my family and eventually I’ll come back … Pursuing the modeling and acting thing, that’s kind of where I’m at right now. The fighting will always be there. I’ll always have that in me. The truth is I’ve been fighting my whole life for everything, and this to me, is something else.”

An interesting note, according to the article Huerta was offered the fight with Joe Stevenson at UFC 95, but turned it down due to “personal family issues”. Diego Sanchez took the fight and will step in to face Joe “Daddy” on Feb. 21st.

1. STEVEO

January 9, 2009 at 12:22 am

Wow, your one of the bets in the world at what you do and your gonna walk away from alot of money to do something you have at best a miniscule chance of succeeding at in this economy right now. GOOD LUCK!

January 9, 2009 at 12:59 am

hes not one of the best get off that…he is good but not one of the best..hes just like cung lee

3. Tim

January 9, 2009 at 2:21 am

Sounds to me like he just wants a bit of change for awhile…and there is nothing wrong with that…he will be back.

4. roy

January 9, 2009 at 3:07 am

i don't think he is as good as cung, its easy to hate on him for this but hard to blame him for wanting to try it.

5. Tundra

January 9, 2009 at 3:21 am

Actings alot easier on you than fighting in the UFC. Imo he was never going to be a champ anyway and this way he might get a pension someday, something UFC fighters could you'se, espesialy the guys makeing 5 to 10 thousand a fight.

6. dane drebin

January 9, 2009 at 6:29 am

wow everyones gunna respect him so much for this…not

7. STEVEO

January 9, 2009 at 6:39 am

i didnt mean like p4p guys i just meant he could hold his own and make alot more money fighting than he is gonna make acting. I just don't understand it.

8. Tim

January 9, 2009 at 6:44 am

In honestly it doesnt matter but he could make more acting than fighting especially at the level where he is at fight pay wise…if he gets a movie roll as in Tekken he could easily bring in 100K plus residuals and possibly more and modeling is the same although it depends upon work and wether its mag or print/commercial. think residuals…that adds up to alot….especially if he gets mag job and they give him 3K up front plus Residuals of .05 a copy sold…so 500,000 sold would mean 25K in his pocket…and mags sells millions a month.

9. Tim

January 9, 2009 at 6:51 am

The money is there but its highly competitive and very very political field…if you dont know someone or have that one killer look or killer role played…its torcher for some out there striving to make it. Hence the reason i got out of modeling about 6 years ago and it was hard to have full time job and pay bills and do auditions..i got tired of the auditions and politics…but i have to say it was very fun and can be very lucrative at times…especially if your young you can alot of fun with it. But eventually he may get tired or worn or from it…in my opinion its worth the experience if you can do it. Best of luck to him, but he will be back.

10. Ryan S

January 9, 2009 at 8:46 am

I always thought he was a good fighter and I would rather see him fight than act. I hope acting completely fails for him and he comes back.

11. kom34

January 9, 2009 at 1:33 pm

its not hard to have the chops to act in a action movie like tekken. but maybe he wants to be the next tom cruise. i wish him the best but its going to be hard doing those period pieces tatoos runing up his arms and chest.

12. kom34

January 9, 2009 at 1:34 pm

damn illiteracy….i left out "with" before tattoos.

13. Shogun of Harlem

January 9, 2009 at 1:59 pm

he has lost his mind

14. zalbag

January 10, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Well realistcally sorry bout the spelling I'm all jacked up its sat night. What kind of acting career is going to have seriously… Is he gonna be will smith or even john cusack no !!! He will fight again