Mauricio “Shogun” Rua Looking Forward To A Possible December Return

Updated: July 11, 2008

shogun returns from surgery

Quote:

“My knee is very good, thanks to God. I was going to begin my hard train this week but I spoke to my doctor and he decides to make the exams this week. I have been doing Boxing and physical train, and I think next week I will return to the Jiu-Jitsu and gradually train more”

“I will train hard to face anyone. I had a defeat on my debut and I can’t choose my opponent. It is not settle yet, but I expect to return on December, it’s better for me”

After a hard defeat to Forrest Griffin at UFC 76, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua suffered a ruptured ACL while training for a fight with Chuck Liddell at UFC 85. The knee injury will have kept him out the the cage for over a year, following his UFC debut.

With so much changes recently to the UFC light heavyweight division, Shogun will have to wait his turn as fighters sort things out in the top of division. A possible rematch with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson would be a great fight to make, now that both fighters are coming off loses to Forrest Griffin.

TG: Tatame

1. Morey

July 12, 2008 at 2:33 am

Shogun fell completely off the radar. No comments at all on here. I hope his knee is better because he was one of the top LHW's a few years ago. It would be nice if he looked like he used to.

July 12, 2008 at 2:40 am

never really see shogun fight i reallly want to so i hope he comes back

3. dane drebin

July 12, 2008 at 5:47 am

mark coleman has said he is thinkin about dropping to 205 it would be a good rematch with a lot of bad blood and would make sense both comming back from knee injuries i would love to see shogun win the rematch especially since what happened after their last fight.

4. Morey

July 12, 2008 at 6:14 am

Yeah that would be a good rematch. Shogun would definitely want to avenge his loss to Coleman.

5. Joel

July 12, 2008 at 2:04 pm

I think shogun had a bad night the night he fought forrest although time will show that he is still amoung the best at 205 and pound for pound, can't wait for his return so that he can show it to the rest of the world

6. Emory

July 12, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Forrest beat Shogun, choked him out, then beat Rampage, got the title, and people still think he is a chump. He's not a chump he's the champ and Shogun got beat, plain and simple.

7. dane drebin

July 12, 2008 at 6:37 pm

i agree a win is a win

8. Dr.doom

July 16, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Heard He was coming back in November .. but regardless of when, it will be good to see him fight . Shogun is a better fighter than Griffin … was just a bad fight to start with … the crowd noise seems to bother the old PRIDE guys . His opponent should be either jardine or machida …… and i give him REALLY good odds against Machida . His style is well rounded enough to shut him down and as for Jardine , Shogun beats him in 2 rounds