Steven Seagal Schools UFC Champ Anderson Silva

Updated: June 21, 2010
Steven Seagal Schools UFC Champ Anderson Silva

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQw9fJ9CKk

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva turns to actor and Aikido black belt Steven Seagal for some tips on defeating Chael Sonnen.

1. Trevor

June 21, 2010 at 2:52 am

You don't hear much about Akido in MMA or any of the Interiors really.

2. Kung Fu Panda

June 21, 2010 at 3:01 am

In my opinion, this is the type of art that really requires you to be an absolute expert to pull off the techniques, unless you are going up someone that does not train in any discipline. I will not go as far as call it bull but I sparred an Aikido Black Belt in college and was not impressed. A bunch of would get together and train and all of us came with different backgrounds. We tried to go at about 50% and this Aikido guy would lose to everyone, wrestlers, boxers, even karate guys. The transition to MMA would be hard.

3. Trevor

June 21, 2010 at 4:20 am

Agreed, but as one component in an aresenal there are so many solid joint locks in Aikido, I just can't see how it would not be useful. My school uses an Aikido Shool at night ans sometimes I watch these guys do softness training, the teacher is vicious, but the students seem unable to apply the techniques, which goes right back to your comment Kung Foo Panda.

4. Kung Fu Panda

June 21, 2010 at 5:02 am

How did I forget to give a shout out to the Aikido pants?

5. Fabio

June 21, 2010 at 6:28 am

did i hear a fart at 5;45?

6. P4P #1 Fan

June 21, 2010 at 7:19 am

Fabio, I cant say for sure but it does sound like it. God knows I have ripped a few in class :)

7. WHODINI

June 21, 2010 at 8:22 am

Segal what a fat turd

8. jay

June 21, 2010 at 8:44 am

We know Silva could put out Segal in 45 seconds if he wanted to

9. crynot

June 21, 2010 at 9:34 am

Wow! You guys are so far up Silva's @**. I dont train, just a fan, but from what I just saw – it looks like Segal would do quite well.

10. Floyd

June 21, 2010 at 9:59 am

I respectfully disagree Crynot. Aikido is awesome for defense on the street and against bullies, but in the octagon joint locks and energy manipulation take a back seat to wrestling and boxing, otherwise all MMA athletes would be training with it, likewise Tai Chi, Ba Gua, Echwan, Shaolin, Hapkido, Ninjitsu, etc. all "Interior" arts which were for the most part created for warfare would not fare well for MMA. For one, most of these arts are deadly and do not translate to sport, also a good deal of their applications would not be allowed in the ring.

Segal is a highly ranked Aikido practicioner (the highest in North America) but is famous for backing down from challenges, most famous being Bob Wall, another Martial Arts movie star. Wall played the character of O'Hara in "Enter the Dragon"

11. Oswald Gobblecock

June 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

Crynot, he'd do well against Silva? I can tell you don't train. Seagal was showing him his moves… not the other way around. No, Seagal would not do well against Silva and Seagal is a legit Akido master. Just because people point out the obvious doesn't make them nut huggers. It makes them educated. Silva haters are the funniest people, Fedor nug huggers are just as funny trying to justify him not wanting to fight in the UFC is okay even though they want him there as well.

12. Timmie

June 21, 2010 at 11:27 am

Well, people are frustrated. It's understandable.

From what I've read; Seagal talked a lot about his skills and a bit about others lack of skill. Wall tried to get him to duel on a few occasions, but Seagal turned him down and continued talking. Wall came to his school and called him out somewhat forcibly, again Seagal chose not to accept the challenge. Wall later claimed that when he showed up Seagal cried, but who knows?

13. Oswald Gobblecock

June 21, 2010 at 11:45 am

I also heard something about Sly saying Van Damme punking out Seagal at his house while having a party. Who's knows though.

14. T.R.

June 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm

If Chael is gonna win he better call chuck norris to train him after what I saw in this video.

15. P4P #1 Fan

June 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Oswald, there is a difference between "trying to justify Fedor's not wanting to fight in the UFC" versus RESPECTING that everyone has choices in life. For selfish reasons, I do wish that he had signed with the UFC but HIS decision to not sign with the UFC will not make me less of a fan. Isn't it his choice? Would you like it if a panel of posters on Cage Today decided for you, where you should work, where you should live, whom you should date? Everybody has different goals and things that they want out of life. One of the things that bugs me most about people is when someone complains about life and doesn't accept the fact that they made their own choices. Whether it is someone that is stuck in bad marriage, has a shitty job, etc…only you have the power to make the change if you are not happy, but you also would not have been in these situations had you made better choices for you and based on what you want out of life. In this case, I truly beleive that Fedor's decision is based on him not wanting to be associated with the UFC. I would personally pay for my flight, my hotel and fight for free just to fight on a UFC undercard but he wants nothing to do with them and what they stand for. I do make excuses for him. I simply respect everyone's right to make their own decisions.

16. P4P #1 Fan

June 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

The second to the last sentence should read " I do NOT make excuses for him."

17. Donio

June 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

nice counter move's and some uf them would work great in counters and some wouldent hmhm……

18. DW

June 21, 2010 at 11:27 pm

i have signed segal to fight in ufc 120 against jose conseco

19. Trevor

June 21, 2010 at 11:37 pm

the winner will go on to face Danny Bonaducci, but there's no prize money, just a 20$ certificate for Jamba Juice

20. Fuck Yo Couch!

June 22, 2010 at 3:21 am

If AS is taking lessons from Seagal, it's gonna be a looooong night. Sonnen might now have a chance!

21. Migraine