Still Mad: Nate Diaz On MMA Judging

Updated: January 17, 2011
nate-diaz

Nate Diaz weighs in on mixed martial arts judging following his disappointing loss to Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 125.

“When it was over I knew that they were going to give it to him for sure because he had the top position and that’s the way the judging goes,” Diaz told Scrap Pack Radio.

“I think the scoring should be like, say a guy gets a takedown, it should count for a takedown for sure. What is a takedown in wrestling, two points? In a grappling match it’s two points, so he gets a takedown,” said Diaz. “But if he takes you down and lands in your closed guard and gets punched in the head forty times, is he still ahead on points?”

“There’s round-winners and there’s fighters. You know, but in order to be a good UFC fighter or cage fighter I guess I’ve got to learn how to win the rounds,” said Diaz. “You’ve got to not fight. That’s what I’m saying. You’ve got to score,” commented Diaz. “Apparently I’ve got to grab him and hold him, otherwise he’ll just grab and hold me.“

“Everybody is like, ‘you need to work on your wrestling,’ added Diaz. “Maybe I don’t need to work on my wrestling. Maybe I just need to do the wrestling and not the fighting.” [Heavy]

Is wrestling and control given to high of value when judging a round?

1. lil ninja_530yeha

January 17, 2011 at 6:40 am

Diaz is a punk but he has a good point!

2. ricky_mma

January 17, 2011 at 7:54 am

his right

3. GnP

January 17, 2011 at 10:46 am

In a fight, the fighter that did the most damage should win. They should put health bars over their heads and lower it everytime they get hit like street fighter.

4. hosan

January 17, 2011 at 11:20 am

lol@gnp

This isn't always the case though, wrestlers receiving preferential treatment. Clay Guida stayed on top of Diego Sanchez for quite a while and still lost the decision. It was completely fair, too.

It was a split decision, though, so who knows.

5. Ryan S

January 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I don't agree about the damage. You can get knocked out completely cold and not have anything but a bruise that will show up later. Yeah, you can hit someone 40 times from your back, but if you have 40 clean hits and you still haven't regained control, come on.

6. Ryan S

January 17, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Health bars would help though. Bruce Buffer has to yell "FINISH HIM!!!"

(I switched over into Mortal Kombat)

7. BJJ

January 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm

its a matter of culture, UFC is trying to be part of american culture, thats why they include wrestling so hard on the judging, kids wrestle during school, high school and college and thats another way theyre trying to be mainstream, being part of american culture

8. derrell

January 18, 2011 at 12:02 am

the punk has a point, he is right about the guys who just lay there or can't do anything and the ground guy is active throwing stuff and going for submissions.

its not the judges fault but how its conducted. there are guys that are way more active on bottom then the top.

9. ironcjb82

January 18, 2011 at 1:30 am

he always tries to make good points as to why he thinks he won a fight when the judges give it to the other guy. don't leave it to the judges then you idiot.

10. Kung Fu Panda

January 19, 2011 at 5:47 am

It is not always easy ending fights. My biggest issue witht this whoe thing is the role that dickhead Joe Rogan plays in all this. Joe, unless they are asked or discusing precdictions, he should be neutral and it is veyr clear that he does not like Nick. That is bull shit. Joe is lucky to have the postion that he has but he thinks he is writing an editorial piece for a newspapers. Whether it is bashing refs, judges or fighters, that is not what he should be doing during a UFC event. If he wants to do that during an interview, fine but not an un event.

Joe is a douche.