Strikeforce “Heavy Artillery” Results

Updated: May 15, 2010

MAIN CARD

• Alistair Overeem defeats Brett Rogers via TKO (Punches) at 3:40 of R1.
  • Antonio Silva defeats Andrei Arlovski via unanimous decision. (29-28 x3)
  • Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza defeats Joey Villasenor via unanimous decision. (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
  • Roger Gracie defeats Kevin Randleman via submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 4:10 of R2.
  • Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante defeats Antwain Britt via KO (Strikes) at 3:45 of R1.

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Jesse Finney defeats Justin DeMoney via submission (Guillotine Choke) at 3:22 of R1.
  • Lyle Beerbohm defeats Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro via split decision. (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
  • Darryl Cobb defeats Booker DeRousse via split decision. (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
  • Mike Chandler defeats Sal Woods via submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 0:59 of R1.
  • Fransisco “Kiko” France defeats Lee Brousseau via submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:27 of R1.
  • Tom Aaron defeats Erik Steenberg via submission (Guillotine Choke) at 0:56 of R1.
  • Matt Ricehouse defeats Greg Wilson via submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 0:45 of R3.

1. 10inchWang

May 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Randleman and Arlovski need to be put out to pasture.

2. WHODINI

May 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm

out to pasture means fighting for strike force

3. T.R.

May 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm

they need to put Gus the announcer out with them. He sux.

4. Dave

May 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm

WHODINI…Yep…only the best can fight for the UFC. Like Kimbo Slice, James Toney, etc….you UFC only fans are too easy. Victims of fantastic marketing. Now as for the fight; how much of a pu$$y did Rogers look like tonight? This is the same guy who came out so aggressive against the toughest fighter on the planet last time and then was backing and covering up from the moment he heard the opening bell. He was completely afraid of Overeem for some reason. Not that I blame him, but it is just wierd to see that from a guy like Rogers who wasn't afraid at all of Fedor. I just lost all of the respect I gained for him from the Alrovski fight and the first round he had against Fedor.

5. STEVEO

May 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm

didnt see it but it doesnt sound like i missed much, a little disappointed overeem didnt lose. Now we will just have to wait another 3 years til he fights fedor.

6. Oswald Gobblecock

May 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm

But Dave, us MMA fans who don't realize that the UFC is the top company are known as UFC haters! UFC is a business and a business likes to make money with guys like Kimbo. Yes, there are good guys outside if the UFC but the UFC is the largest pool of talent and has most of the best fighters. Are you trying to claim otherwise? What top 5 guys are NOT in the UFC? Fedor, Shields, Gilbert… maybe Overeem. That's it! All except Fedor have expressed interest in coming to the UFC because they said they want to fight the best so are they wrong? Only Fedor says crap like "I have nothing to prove" when it's a fact that he does and will probably ask Overeem for an Olympic style drug testing like he's scared lil Gayweather.

7. Oswald Gobblecock

May 15, 2010 at 3:18 pm

*By top 5 I mean of each weight class of course.

8. STEVEO

May 15, 2010 at 3:23 pm

anybody who is a genuine fan of mma cannot argue the point that the UFC has the largest pool of talent in every weight class. Bottom line they do its indisputable. Ask anyone to name the best five fighters ever in every weight class. They will name at least 3 to 5 guys that were or are still in the UFC for the majority of or entire career.

9. Mikey

May 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I think Overeem has got to be in the top 5 of the HW division. So Strikeforce has some good fighters. Feijao, Mousasi, King Mo, Diaz.

10. Oswald Gobblecock

May 15, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Ding ding ding… I'll challenge you Steveo cause I'm an MMA fan and not just a UFC fan. Name 1 organization that has a more stacked weight division than the UFCs. Don't worry I'll wait! lol

I agree Mikey that Mousasi, King Mo, Diaz are good fighters but not top 5. I never really considered Mousasi to be a top 10 guy just because he never beat a top 10 guy.

To be fair, I've said the same thing about UFC guys like Luiz Cane. Some rankings had him as a top 10 guy before he lost to Lil Nog and he never beat anybody! Like I said, it's funny to me that UFC haters always try to claim MMA fans are UFC fanboys when they're not. They're just telling it like it is which the haters don't like.

11. jbug

May 16, 2010 at 12:28 am

heavy artillery sucked ass. i would have rather seen the undercard.

12. gonzo

May 16, 2010 at 1:08 am

I really enjoyed last nights Strikeforce card and thought the last UFC ppv was one of the best they have had in a while.

I live in Missouri and happen to know that the commission here did a much more comprehensive drug screen than anywhere else in the country. Overeem vs Rodgers was awesome because it showed why mixed martial artists must be multi-dimensional. Rodgers like some other fighters have had great success as a striker,and being in the right place at the right time he got some very lucrative fights that when he won propelled him up to where he had no business being.

Let's face it this dude was changing tires 2 years ago, I wasnt surprised at all that Overeem dominated him, he has been in the fight game for well over a decade, he has experience and skills in submissions,striking,and wrestling. He is 3 dimensional,Rodgers is 1 dimensional, a punchers chance will get you so far,but eventually you get exposed.

As far as Strikeforce sucking last night, what the hell do you want,there were submission wins,knockouts, and decisions. What the hell more can you ask for? All of you ARMCHAIR WARRIORS need to get to a gym and try training MMA. Its alot easier to criticize from the comfort of your couch than it is to actually train and compete in MMA. Anyone with balls enough to compete in MMA should be respected for their hard work and participation in MMA.

GET A LIFE.

13. CYRYUS

May 16, 2010 at 1:33 am

Completely agree with Gonzo.

14. jay

May 16, 2010 at 1:41 am

Lets not put Overeem in the top 5 just yet. He beat Brett rogers cmon. He is a great striker and has Intln experience. I like to see him fight Fedor, big foot silva, werdum and than we will see.

15. Oswald Gobblecock

May 16, 2010 at 6:13 am

Thats true, Rogers should be out of the top 10 after that. Maybe move up Werdum to #9 and put Big Foot at #10. I think Big Foot could ahve won his fight against Werdum.

16. Mikey

May 16, 2010 at 8:19 am

Why not put Overeem in the top 5, who of the UFC heavyweights have more experience than him. He's pretty fast and has good striking. He finishes fights. He's got 10 sub wins. I'd put him in the top 5.

17. STEVEO

May 16, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I agree with mikey I mean top 5 or at least 7. overeem does possess a well rounded ability that most heavyweights don't. Most rely on ground and pound, but to me in order to be a top 5 fighter your going to have to fight more than once every 3 years so we can actually watch some of his fights.

18. Zyklon

May 16, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Overeem is the king! Fedor is one of my favourites and has been for a long time. But to compare Fedor vs. Rogers and now Overeem vs. Rogers.

Its a huge difference,

Overeem is east top 3 HW in the world.

I dont say this cause ive seen one fight with him i followed him since his K-1 fights many years back.

Seemed like Rogers eas surprised by the power Overeem was packing.

Ûbereem will be the first HW to beat Fedor. (the cut loss to Fedor was not a real win)

19. Aldo

May 16, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I dont think I would get carried away and put him top 5. I think if your going to be top 5 then you should have to beat some competition that is top 5. He did look good on Saturday but then again he was fighting Brett Rodgers. I have never been impressed with Brett Rodgers. He's a very one dimensional fighter. Also even though he is the Strikeforce heavyweight champion I dont think that really says much. I'm just not impressed with the whole heavy weight division of strikeforce. What I'm really saying in I dont think Overeem should get a big jump in the rating for beating someone like Brett Rodgers.

20. Zyklon

May 17, 2010 at 5:42 am

Aldo, you are right about Rogers, the "only" danger about him is the punching power. But then again i dont think there is any HW that big that can compare with his standup. Overeem is dangerous with punches, knees and kicks. His standup is awesome and not just punches. He also got nasty guillotines and a good ground game.

If he was in the UFC in the shape he is in now – he would have no problem reaching at least a shot at the title.. and carwin.. lesnar… im sorry. But Lesnar is too one dimensional and carwin though he strikes like a mule he does not have the technique of Overeem.

21. dude

May 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

i liked how overeem called out fedor. that kinda prove he's ducking the good fighters. i dont see how you could think otherwise. is the guy fedor's supposed to be fighting any good. i bet strikeforce goes under before they match him up with overeem

22. Mikey

May 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Strikeforce on CBS might go under but not the organization. They've got deep pockets. They also cosponsor with M-1 and are in talks to co-sponsor with Bellator.