Strikeforce: Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson Deal Finalized

Updated: February 24, 2010

Dan Henderson and Jake Shields have finally came to an agreement to fight, possibly co-headlining the April CBS Strikeforce card.

Jake Shields:

“I have a date (and) venue, but they told me to hold that back … Hopefully CBS. I think it’s CBS. There’s a slight possibility of Showtime because they’re still (working it out). I don’t know the rest of the card or any of that yet. But me and Dan’s on, and I’m hoping it’s on CBS.”

“I really wanted the fight, the fans really wanted it, so I knew it was going to happen,” he commented. “There was a few little things holding it back, but luckily everything’s been worked out and I’m just happy the fight’s happening, and I want to go out there and put on an exciting fight.” [MMAWeekly]

The Shields fight marks the first of four fights on Dan Henderson Strikeforce contract.

1. jay

February 24, 2010 at 8:24 am

Dan is too big for jake. Kinda of a mistmatch dont you guys think?

2. other derek

February 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm

why is he fighting for strikeforce now?

3. Oswald Gobblecock

February 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Cause he asked for too much money. Some might try to say Dana was a dick but I can tell Dan thinks very highly of himself and while it's true fighting wise… he's not a big draw. Think he should have settled for the UFCs pay… might have been less money but would be better overall for his legacy and could possibly lead to future success. Don't think he'll have too much of that beating guys in SF but that's my opinion. Hell, he could have been the guy who stepped in for Vitor instead of Maia! Doubt it would go any different than the 1st fight but think it would be more interesting cause we know Maia won't try to stand.

4. hosan

February 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I believe he's prolly kickin himself in the ass right now for not staying because he would have been pretty much assured the title shot.

5. Dane

February 25, 2010 at 5:48 am

maybe… but it would have been him fighting marquardt instead of sonnen so who knows

6. Ringer

February 26, 2010 at 2:47 am

I dunno, I'm kind of excited for this fight and happy that Dan Henderson isn't in the UFC. I think it'll give us an opportunity to see just where the fighters are at in Strikeforce compared to the UFC. If it's a good fight we'll know there's at least a bit of parity between the organizations, however if Hendo destroys the best middleweight in Strikeforce I think it will say a lot for the caliber of fighters in the UFC, and it might show once and for all that if you want to be the best, you have to fight for the UFC.