Strikeforce “Miami” LIVE Results

Updated: January 30, 2010

Strikeforce heads out to the sunshine state for Strikeforce “Miami” on Jan. 30th from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise Florida.

Headlining the event will welterweights Nick Diaz and Marius Zaromskis going at it for the vacant Strikeforce welterweight title.

The Showtime broadcast starts at 10pm EST.

MAIN CARD

• Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis [t]
    Result: Nick Diaz defeats Marius Zaromskis via TKO (Strikes) at 4:38 of R1.
  • Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos vs. Marloes Coenen [t]
    Result: Cris Cyborg defeats Marloes Coenen via TKO (Strikes) at 3:40 of R3.
  • Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef
    Result: Robbie Lawler defeats Melvin Manhoef via KO (Punch) at 3:33 of R1.
  • Bobby Lashley vs. Wes Sims
    Result: Bobby Lashley defeats Wes Sims via TKO (Strikes) at 2:06 of R1.
  • Herschel Walker vs. Greg Nagy
    Result: Herschel Walker defeats Greg Nagy via TKO (Strikes) at 2:17 of R3.

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs
    Result: Jay Hieron defeats Joe Riggs via Unanimous Decision. (29-28, 30-27 x2)

• Pablo Alfonso vs. Marcos da Matta
    Result: Pablo Alfonso defeats Marcos DaMatta via Submission (Armbar) at 1:47 of R1.
  • Michael Byrnes vs. David Zitnik
    Result: No time, fight skipped.
  • Sabah Homasi vs. John Kelly
    Result: John Kelly defeats Sabah Homasi via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:48 of R1.

• David Gomez vs. Craig Oxley
    Result: David Gomez defeats Craig Oxley via Unanimous Decision. (30-27 x3)
  • Hayder Hassan vs. Ryan Keenan
    Result: Hayder Hassan defeats Ryan Keenan via TKO (Strikes) at 2:42 of R2.
  • John Clarke vs. Joe Ray
    Result: Joe Ray defeats John Clarke via TKO (Strikes) at 3:14 of R1.

1. CagE

January 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Manhoef got caught. He was putting on a striking clinic and destroying Lawler before a looping right hook, collapsed the dutch striker.

Took him a while to get his senses and get up off the mat.

2. BJJ Brown Belt

January 30, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I agree. Robbie is not going to be able to walk for a few days. Sims needs to give it up. He is neither a striker nor a grappler…the only thing he has is size and that just is not going to cut it. He is a poor man's version of Tim Sylvia. It was hard to say if Hershal looked good or not because the guy he went up against was terrible. Santos looked good but Marloes held her own, and she is hot too! I would put my money on Marloes versus Gina. Diaz looked real good. I was hoping that he would win but I was thinking that Marius was going to be too powerful of a striker but Diaz continues to kick ass. He picked him apart almost as nice;y as manhoef was picking apart Robbie. It was a good show and the Strikeforce/Dream deal is AWESOME! I never thought I would be able to see match-ups like Robbie vs. Manhoef or Diaz vs. Marius…It is not going to happen overnight but the UFC should be worried. Them showing UFC 107 or whatever number it was, showed that they are concerned because they have never showed such a recent event before…I mean didn't Penn vs. Diego just happen about a month ago?

3. STEVEO

January 31, 2010 at 12:34 am

right before xmas like dec 10th or something like that. I didnt get a chance to see this but it sounds like all the favorites won, i heard manhoef was killing lawler b4 he got KO'd.

4. WHODINI

January 31, 2010 at 1:35 am

will Joe Riggs ever win again ? seems like he been getting his ass handed to him alot …and Sims does need to go away for sure Marius looked like he was trying too hard .. im glad Joe Rogan wasnt announcing the Lawler fight i could hear him yelling every time Manhoef landed a kick

5. richaaron

January 31, 2010 at 1:44 am

I agree with you BJJ BB, with the exception that Marloes is "hot". She is a 6 at best. Hershal looked decent. But I wasn't expecting much more than that. Maybe next time the corpse they throw him will have a little more of a pulse. I mean, his opponent threw what, maybe 6 strikes the entire fight..?

Sims definatley needs to look for another line of work. He did however come off of a 3 fight win streak before that loss but I never heard the names of his opponents. Lashley is continuing to improve with each fight. I feel that with about 4-5 more tune-up's, he will be ready for the more familiar names in the division.

Nick Diaz looked like he always does. No matter how much I hate the guy, he never dissapoints. I wish he would've called out Jay Hieron but he moved right past that question to comment about his brother getting robbed in his last fight. Get over it Nick. As long as you and your brother continue your out-of the ring antics, when the fights are close, you'll never get the nod.

All that being said. Strikeforce continues to be just outside of the UFC/WEC shadow. Who knows how long they can survive there. I feel that in order to be a legitimate threat to the UFC, you have to stage a venue in there backyard. Vegas. And I don't see that happening anytime soon. -Rich

6. John

January 31, 2010 at 1:48 am

These were some great fights. It seemed like time flew last night. UFC should takes some notes from Srikeforce or maybe sign some of their fighters on. Bobby Lashley looked great last night . Hershal, I didnt think he had it in him. Nick Diaz always puts on a great show. Its going to be hard for UFC to top this one. I dont think I'll watch Randy vs Coleman, should be boreing,.

7. Hall

January 31, 2010 at 2:00 am

I agree Strikeforce ,may be just outside shadows of UFC but damn , there was some great fights last night. I agree wid John ,time flew last night. To me, this has been the best show so far this year. I wish Dana would put on some great fights like this. I dont think I'll watch Randy vs Coleman either. That would be a waist of money. Dana needs to sign Bobby Lashley ASAP!

8. Tray

January 31, 2010 at 2:29 am

Why didn't Byrnes fight Zitnik ???

9. Chris

January 31, 2010 at 3:31 am

personally i thought those fights sucked last night. hershal walker fight was boring… lashley fight was even more boring… both of those guys would get dominated if they came to UFC… lets be real here, both of thier opponents where trash, no talent no nothings. best fight of the night was the diaz fight…its a shame hes fighting for strikforce, he should come back to UFC and make a run.

10. jbug

January 31, 2010 at 4:32 am

i want to see diaz vs. gsp. i think diaz could take him

11. jay

January 31, 2010 at 4:39 am

Diaz has evovled a lot since he fought in the ufc. Him and gsp would be interesting

12. derek

January 31, 2010 at 5:13 am

Indeed. Lashely vs Lesnar would be a disaster. Lesnar would expose Lashley's wrestling and then completely outpower Lashley. Nick Diaz, no matter how great of a fighter he is, will always be shit in my book because he is so arrogant and such a sore loser. Hershel Walker was fighting grandpa style last night. I've never seen anyone take like two inch steps at a time when fighting. But damn, I got to give Herschel credit where it's due because that mofo is ripped for a 47 year old. If you ever followed Herschel back in the NFL days, WALKER NEVER LIFTED A SINGLE WEIGHT!!! he was cut as hell just from doing jump rope and sit ups.

13. Miko

January 31, 2010 at 5:28 am

jbug: You're delusional. GSP would kill Diaz.

BJ would Kill Diaz. Hell I'm pretty sure K'os, Fitch, and Alves

Would beat his ass too. And gsp mopped the floor with all of those guys.

Jay: if you mean by how long Diaz could bob and weave until gsp Took him out then sure, it would be interesting :P

14. fabio

January 31, 2010 at 6:59 am

you know what must happen ufc vs strikeforce once in 1 or 2 year

brock vs fedor

gsp vs diaz

and all that stuff

that would me awesome

15. jay

January 31, 2010 at 8:26 am

Miko your on GSP's nuts. I bet you wouldnt believe anyone if they said a short guy named matt serra would own GSP in their first fight right???????? grow up dude GSP can still be beat, and diaz is no slouch or push over

16. Miko

January 31, 2010 at 8:54 am

Serra is a tough guy no doubt. I even think he got screwed with his decision against Matt Hughes.

But you watch that fight again and Tell me Serra didn't illegally punch GSP to the back of the head to rock him before he was able to go for the kill. I don't think for a second that it was an intentional illegal blow, but it definitely happened.

I'm hardly on his nuts, In fact I think GSP is a boring fighter. Not my cup of tea. But until someone figures out how to defend his takewons he'll always be a champ.

I just think Diaz is overrated and his fans only dig him because he has what Tito Ortiz used to have, a big firiggin' mouth and some talent to take out B class fighters to back it up. It certainly doesnt mean he could beat GSP… haha please

And you want me to grow up because I said that 4 guys GSP already beat would beat Diaz? That's the most retarded thing I've ever read.

You actually think diaz could beat any of those guys? He's a tough guy, I sure as hell wouldn't mess with him. But that doesn't mean hes at the level of any of the fighters I've mentioned.

17. WHODINI

January 31, 2010 at 9:17 am

i am Nick fan but …….i do think GSPwould whoop his ass

18. John

January 31, 2010 at 11:10 am

If Dana White had took Bobby Lashley and boosted him up and let him just fight 3 or 4 fights and be champ all you people would be on Bobby Lashleys nuts. Ha Ha. Get a life people you are controled by media and Dana White. One good thing about Nick Diaz ,if you notice ,He dosen't kiss anyones ass and he is a dick.Look how rude he acts to the anouncers and the media. Personaly I would like to see Brock and Lashley fight, both of them just hold their opponents down and pound them not much skill there,but just enough to win ,and do damage!

19. Hall

January 31, 2010 at 11:29 am

UFC has sucked latley, I bet the Randy vs Coleman want get much veiwers. Hell the bar I go to said they weren't going to buy it because know one wants to watch it. I wish the MMA could combined all the fighters in one organazation and have at least 5 good fights a card,that would be worth paying to see. UFC needs more fighters.

20. Luke

January 31, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Another good card from Strikeforce, a big thanks to Bravo in the UK for showing it.

Bobby Lashley – I think all that fight proved for Bobby is that he needs a better opponent to really see where he is at, maybe Brett Rogers?

Wes Sims – A complete joke just as i thought he would be.

Melvin Manhoef – Fantastic striking ability, kinda feel bad for him after such a dominant first couple of minutes.

Robbie Lawler – POWER! Enough said.

Herschel Walker – A true inspiration, maybe the opponent wasn't the best but, he was more experienced, and a lot younger. Just proof that you can do anything you set your mind to, regardless of age, all you need is a desire to learn, I for one was very impressed.

Greg Nagy – how you get the word Nug from the letters n.a.g.y i will never know?!?

Marius Zaromskis – Traded til the end, cant knock that.

Nick Diaz – I have been saying for a while, Diaz is quite underated. He has a great striking style, he kind of pisses guys off with little punches so they leave holes, then unleashes with body shots and takes them out. In his UFC days he was mainly about BJJ (with exception to the Robbie Lawler fight at UFC 47), but now he is taking out dangerous strikers.

21. T.R.

January 31, 2010 at 1:19 pm

diaz is young and surely getting better. I doubt he could beat GSP right now– but dang– he has evolved- no telling in a few years. I want to see him back in the UFC.

lashely will fight better against better comp.

Lawler wants to go back to the UFC. You can tell in his interviews because he never says who he wants to fight next in strikeforce. Personally, id like to see him rematch Sheilds. It'd be a better fight the 2nd time around.

22. jbug

February 1, 2010 at 2:04 am

whatwould gsp take him out with? takedowns? he might win if it went to decision based on takedown scores but gsp would probably be the one to go to the hospital.

23. Tray

February 1, 2010 at 2:43 am

Do you guys think Diego Sanchez could defeat GSP?

Remember Diego rocked Nick Diaz.

24. Muay Thai

February 1, 2010 at 4:07 am

I would take GSP in the first round. A win over Marius Zaromskis does not put you in the same class as GSP. I would say Diaz is in the middle of the pack if not lower in the talent selection thats out there.

25. Luke

February 1, 2010 at 5:36 am

I think he is one of the top Welterweights, he is always in a competitive fight, i can't remember a fight where he was dominated, all the decision losses he has suffered were very close, and i believe the other losses were due to cuts.

Also other than Dan Hardy (and maybe 'Semtex',Swick, and Jake Shields if he ever goes back to his best weight), Nick Diaz is the only top level Welterweight fighter that GSP hasn't already put a beating on, therefore it makes a much more intriguing match up than say Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, or Thiago Alves.

26. jbug

February 2, 2010 at 3:20 am

i agree with luke. when was the last time muay thai saw nick diaz get taken out of a fight. GSP definitely is a top level fighter but i dont believe he could outstrike diaz, and diaz is a cardio machine. GSP could take him down but he could also be submitted by diaZ, who is a top notch ground fighter. i think mauy thai and miko need to go back and watch some diaz fights

27. Aldo Raine

February 2, 2010 at 4:04 am

HA HA HA Luke and jbug you guys are crazy. Seriously Diaz outstriking GSP. Have you seen GSP's striking. He can take you down at anytime and fighters look for it an it opens up GSP striking game by doing that. Your talking pound for pound one of the greatest fighters of all time having trouble with nick diaz. Give me a break people. Diaz has been looking better but who has he really faced…..Frank Shamrock….Scott Smith. I know you two are probably anti-UFC and all that shit but lets get serious. Diaz isn't in GSP's league. He would get destroyed by a lot of UFC people such as Alvez or Kos.

28. Lenses

February 2, 2010 at 4:11 am

This website is getting dumber by the moment. Diaz would beat GSP just like Tank Abbott would beat Lesnar or Fedor. Thats the dumbest thing I've heard all day. This sites comment page is going down hill with stupid people. Good point Aldo though.

29. Shonuff

February 2, 2010 at 4:30 am

Goes back to Mac's earlier comment.

Diego Sanchez destroyed Nick Diaz. It wasn't even close, and of course Diaz talked smack before and after getting dominated.

Diaz is a good fighter, but not a top fighter.

30. jay

February 2, 2010 at 5:17 am

GSP is not a top fighter. He wants to take it down and lay and pray. the best fighter should be comfortable everywhere the fight goes. Look at Fedor, Anderson, Machida, They will fight anywhere. Those 3 are fighters. GSP is an athlete.

31. Lenses

February 2, 2010 at 5:55 am

Yea jay….GSP is a real horrible. What are you talking about not a top fighter. Obviously you dont know much about MMA. I think you could go to any ranking system on the internet and find him in the top 3. Your dumb….please stop talking

32. fabio

February 2, 2010 at 5:56 am

JAY IS RIGHT

33. Aldo Raine

February 2, 2010 at 6:00 am

Yea normally when you clear out an entire division it means your not a top level fighter. Why would GSP be a top level fighter. He's only dominate his last 6 fights which were against very tough opponents. Yea but he's towards the bottom of the heap….right jay?

34. jay

February 2, 2010 at 7:09 am

I know mma. Watch Hardy tko him. You guys didnt think Serra could right? Yes GSP is great conditioning, he has great wrestling. But I still dont think what you guys think of him. quit making excuses like serra got lucky and it was his off night and all that other bullshit. When you train 3 months for a fight and you are champion your not suposse to have off nights. and I do believe if he tries to exchange with hardy he will get knocked out

35. fabio

February 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

all gsp is doing is start with some kicks and then take them down and lay and prey for minutes ..

36. Ken

February 2, 2010 at 8:46 am

GSP hasn't wanted to stand since getting knocked out by Serra.. He laid on Serra, Penn, and Alves… Lost a lot of respect for him not to mention "grease gate"… He has a weak chin and he is afraid of getting hit and pretty soon someone is going to knock him out Hardy's got a solid shot at it

37. jay

February 2, 2010 at 9:32 am

thank you fabio and Ken for speaking your mind. How do you get rid of the demons. YOU FIGHT BACK LIKE A MAN!! cmon GSP fight like a man and stand up so we all can see your well rounded aresenal

38. Luke

February 3, 2010 at 3:14 am

Can i just clear something up, I am under no illusion that Diaz could beat GSP, in fact i think GSP would beat him. All i was saying is i would much rather see GSP fight someone who he hasn't already destroyed.