Tank Abbott Talks Training For Kimbo Slice

Updated: January 16, 2008

1. Kash

January 16, 2008 at 8:24 am

Haha, Tank was working some kicks in this interview. I do hope he trains hard for this fight and comes in shape….stop drinking his cocktails. Kimbo hasn't been in a real fight yet in his MMA career so hopefully Tank can take some blows and get some in at the same time. All the same, my money's on Kimbo.

2. roy

January 16, 2008 at 8:44 am

if tank was really in shape he might stand a chance,but even if he is in shape kimbo seems to have good boxing skills.i dout know if either one of them will try to take it to the ground i sure hope not.

3. smokin' joe

January 16, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Kimbo's boxing skills look good against a bunch of street bums, Tank's boxing skills have dropped consumate pros like Don Frey and went 30 mins w/oleg Tactarov,they are not even in the same class. Tank will come in out of shape as usual, older than ever, and then he will beat the living shit out of Kimbo Slice.

4. Leet

January 16, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Ok, wonder how much money you'll put on Tank to win Kimbo if you think he's a chump…

5. JOE

January 16, 2008 at 6:45 pm

I think Kimbo is a chump, but I think he might beat an old out of shape Tank Abbott. If you guys want to bet each other you should just do what a few of us did with the Penn Stevenson fight. The loser has to come back here and tell the winner (publicly) how right they were and how much more knowledgeable they are. Basically eat some humble pie and the loser also loses his posting privileges on cage today for a week. Leet, you seem to put a lot of faith in Kimbo. Would you be willing to put it on the line? I bet Smokin' Joe would.

6. roy

January 17, 2008 at 4:15 am

i don't have faith in either one of them,and i don't think tank has great boxing skills good but not great he has power and could drop anyone if it lands and put on great fights against frye and tactarov but that was many beers(years) ago. as for kimbo i said seems to have good boxing skills he still has alot to prove.you could toss a coin for this one.

7. Patrick89

January 17, 2008 at 5:41 am

I hope Tank wins just for the fact that it will look bad for the sport if some guy comes in basicly off the street and starts beating people up. It will make people think anybody can do it. With that said I know Kimbo is'nt your regular joe off the couch, and Tank may not be the best rolemodel for the sport, but Kimbo still hasn't had the time, experience, or the pro fights for me to start picking him over anybody else right now. Tank comes in out of shape with a losing record but he likes to bang and has big power, so I would like to see him win a couple more before he goes out the door.

8. dane drebin

January 17, 2008 at 12:29 pm

its 1 nobody vs a used to be somebody

who cares

9. KOPower

January 17, 2008 at 3:58 pm

I understand how you all can hate Kimbo. He beat up out of shape chumps on the internet for money. But for all of you that love MMA, you should respect the fact that he is one of the most exciting fighters. If he wasn't , then why are all of these posts filling up on opinions about the guy. Theres not a single one here who doesn't want to see his fights, weather its against Tank or some chump.

Shit, who liked Tyson when they started letting him open his mouth. We all thought he was a rapist who said the stupidest shit…"I wanna eat your children." But we all wanted to watch his fight. I'm guilty….I'll admit I saw every fight.

Kimbo is talented trust me. They guy ate people up on the football field and now he's going to fill himself of the MMA world. He has natural talent and Bas is going to fill him with knowledge. He'll be beat, everyone gets beat at some point, but its not going to be by Tank. And I'll come here right after the fight to take my licking if Tank wins that fight. I won't fire back. Everyone can tell me I don't know shit if he loses to Tank and I'll take it.

10. derek

January 17, 2008 at 5:49 pm

i will bet my third testicle that kimbo will beat tank within 30 seconds of the 1st round. it'll be an outright slugfest. there is no way tank can outwrestle tank. kimbo is being trained submissions by bas rutten. tank isn't learning anything now.

11. JOE

January 17, 2008 at 6:33 pm

I don't disagree with the predictions. But I do disagree with KOpower's statement about Kimbo being one of the most exciting fighters. There's a difference between marketable and exciting. I have yet to see an exciting Kimbo fight. A lot of posts simply fill up for that reason alone. Kimbo has done next to nothing but grow a beard and talk like an idiot, and he's bolstered as a "contender", "great", now one of the "most exciting"..etc etc.. Come on man. Kimbo is nothing but a spectacle and in order to keep his popularity he'll have to continue to fight the nobodies and washed up Tank Abbotts of the world.

I respect Bas Rutten, but I don't respect Kimbo simply because he trains with him. Kimbo is a poor reflection of the professional sport of MMA. He propagates every negative stereotype. Even though it's not likely I hope he looses in devastating fashion.

12. dane drebin

January 17, 2008 at 7:10 pm

your right derek tank can not out wrestle tank

that made me think for awhile ahahah jk

13. Morey

January 17, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Joe's right, Kimbo is a spectacle right now. He can be good but nothing so far proves that. I'll take Bas' word when he says Kimbo is a talent but even that doesn't make him a future champ. At the same time, the guy is just 2-0, can't expect him to fight the best of the best just yet. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the guy is made of in the next couple of years.

January 18, 2008 at 1:56 am

i think tanks is going to be ready for this fight..

15. dane drebin

January 18, 2008 at 9:57 am

kimbos pretty old to be tryin to learn the mma game isnt he how old is he?

16. bobby o

February 6, 2008 at 4:58 pm

i hate to ruin the hopes people have for a slugfest, but this will not, i repeat WILL NOT, be a stand up fight. tank will be taken down and either pounded out or submitted. kimbo is rounding out his game and everyone knows tank abbot isn't going to want to touch the ground game. i don't think kimbo is ready for top competition and this fight is just going to be a showcase for kimbo's skills against a guy who is still training for fights like its ufc 4, and any opponent will only have 1 discipline. kimbo will put him on his back in round 1 and take the W.

17. Jun Da Silva

February 6, 2008 at 7:15 pm

I agree with KO, yeah to some he might be a "street thug" what ever, he needed the money who doesn't and he fought in the streets, you can't break a man down who's has to eat and feed his family, where did you expect him to work as a waiter in the Olive Garden I don't think so. He's trying to make his money honest now so why don't all you haters give him a break. Tank was no much better when he can up the ranks, okay.