Tito Ortiz Getting “Shredded” For UFC 84

Updated: May 19, 2008

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Oriz, training hard for what might be his final chance to make an impression in the UFC.

“I started camp four months prior to the fight. That’s the first time I’ve started this early….I was really focused on getting my core strength very, very strong. My back is really strong. My stomach is really strong. You’ll see at the weigh-ins how shredded I am. I’m in great shape….I’ve actually picked it up. I’m running four miles a day. I’ve never done that in my career, ever. I really think I’ve let a lot of my fans down by getting tired after the second round. I’ve never a person like that to get tired. I’ve always pushed full-force for five, five minute rounds. We’re training six, six minute rounds with 30 seconds rests. I’m up here at altitude doing it, so I’m going to be ready for three, five minute rounds without a doubt.”

“It just feels great to be able to train for once and be able to wrestle the way I used to wrestle, spar the way I used to spar, and not have to go through three days of training and have to take four days of….That was really, really bad. It was hindering my fighting style, I believe. I’m very focused, no injuries, and I’m able to focus my time on training.”

Tito Ortiz takes on Lyoto Michida at UFC 84 “Ill Will” on May 24 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

1. Thomas

May 19, 2008 at 12:23 am

I never thought cardio was Tito's weakness. I always thought it was his lack of dimension. GnP is all he does. Anybody seen "The Dragon's" record? Dude has beat B.J. Penn, Rich Franklin, and a host of gate keepers like Stephan Bonnar. Tito is going out on a sour note.

2. Kash

May 19, 2008 at 4:29 am

He didn't look really in shape against Evans in my opinion. I thought he looked terrible in the third.

3. GirlyGirl

May 19, 2008 at 4:36 am

It's about time Tito took a fight seriously.

4. roy

May 19, 2008 at 4:38 am

in his fight with rashad and forrest he looked great in the first round and seemed to slow down after that.

5. Thomas

May 19, 2008 at 4:43 am

Tito slowed down from getting punched in the face, which he hates.

6. Morey

May 19, 2008 at 5:04 am

He is talking about how he is in the best shape of his life and has no injuries. He said those exact same statements versus Rashad and then looked tired in the late 2nd and 3rd rounds. I hope he is for real this time.

7. Oswald Gobblecock

May 19, 2008 at 8:49 am

Thomas, he beat BJ simply cause he's several weight classes above him.

8. whodini

May 19, 2008 at 8:56 am

what a joke as Joe Rogan always said his cardio is second to none… what a joke…ITS HIS LAST FIGHT AND NOW HE SAYS HES SERIOUS ? he sucked and he knew it so does Dana White and thats why hes pissed

9. whodini

May 19, 2008 at 8:57 am

makes me wanna puke

10. kom34

May 19, 2008 at 10:45 am

watch machida's pride fights. he used to be agressive and explosive when he fough in pride. oswald is right, he used his weight and size advantage against bj. although he had a nice flying headstomp in that fight. but he dominated franklin who is a big fighter.

11. dane drebin

May 19, 2008 at 2:51 pm

hopefully this is for real and not just tito talk

May 19, 2008 at 3:06 pm

i hope tito win by tko or by KO slam but idk this fight is going to be good and its hard to say who will win

13. DanP

May 19, 2008 at 6:47 pm

This could go either way… depends on whether Tito can put Machida on his ass and bully him with his strength… if not… Tito is gonna have an embarrassing night..

I think Tito must be extremely motivated for this.. The UFC have put him up against a very skilled fighter who is going to be hard to beat.. Dana White is looking to humiliate Ortiz in his last fight with the UFC – If that was me – i'd be very motivated to kick ass!

14. Thomas

May 19, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Machida has lots of decision wins. I hope he gets this one 30-26. Being dominated that way would be more embarrassing than a flash knock-out. But then again, Forrest out-fought tito and didn't get the decision. It's dangerous to leave it to the judges.